Teaching with student arc for non-native speakers

Is this possible. If so how does it work?

Under the table. As are lots of otherwise legitimate things in Taiwan. You won’t be able to work for most of the big chain schools, as they insist on doing things by the book, but a lot of the smaller schools will throw what few hours they have at you. Since you’re a student (yes?), I’m guessing a few hours per week is what you’re looking for, anyway. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Check the China Post. Lots of kindergartens are willing to overlook questions of legality. Make some phone calls, tell them you’re a student and don’t need a visa and see what they say.

Um, I think all kindergartens willing to hire foreigners are willing to overlook questions of illegality, as it’s illegal for foreigners to teach in kindergartens, period.

Well, at least that’s what the law says this week. Next week, who knows?

There is a very, very new program out at the CLA that allows people with a student-based ARC to work a certain nunber of hours. I do not have the papers with me (I’m in the States at the moment) but I went to the CLA in person on 1/19 or 1/20 to ask about it and it does indeed exist. They handed me the necessary forms for a friend.

I’d advise you stopping up at the CLA office (sorry, I always navigate there by smell, but if I’m not mistaken it’s on Yenping N. Road, I think sec. 2, north of Nanjing Road) and asking. The folks there are really helpful.