Tech workers who flocked to Taiwan’s Covid-free haven are now fleeing

I guarantee you don’t have to be British to work in a British bank. So every bank in the uk

May i ask, generally, which region you guys live(d) in where this happened? The experiences you guys have had i have heard of a lot in city areas, such a vancouver, calgary, edmonton, toronto etc through others experiences. Living in the countryside and always having asian families in our communities for many decades, i never experienced this level of vocal hateful racism. The main racism i saw in rural, western, canada was white vs first nations and first nations vs white. it was almost always a certain class/work type that would do this on the whites side and almost always residential lands people collecting welfare on the first nations side. More educated people often tended to work together to solve problems…i sure hope that most basic maturity and logic hasnt gone by the wayside!

To be honest, i most places i have been for any meaningful amount of time it has often towards this same direction. People in high population centers, often only single skilled, are the loudest mouths. People in the country side hat can actually appear riunded and useful have often had more rounded heads when time is spent explaining something. There are exceptions, for SURE! Pingdong, Appalachia, Duncan years past. Interestingly, Drunken Duncan used to be Chinese shit hole filled with poverty, racism, sexism, abuse the works. Basically either fucked up indians mixed with fucked up hells angles mixed with fucked up in betweens. Once the asian gangs came to town, calmer heads prevailed. Now in many ways its a progressive leader in canada.

Effort pays off, no matter what the jaded say. People are fun, eh?

Nanaimo and Burnaby.

Never experienced any Asian racism against family members in visits to family in the interior (Kamloops) or Calgary.

Ditto during trips to South America, Africa etc. or expat living in Saudi or Europe.

1 Like

That sucks. I would expect that in Burnaby. You hear the same both ways, with both types of indians etc haha. Bit surprised with Nanaimo…maybe the drugs have gone sour and eveyone is edgy now? Honestly though, i wouldnt want a taiwanese family member to live in Nanaimo. Parksville, chemainus, even port alberni seems less racist than there. It is a small dirty port city with rampant drug issues and a fair bit of poverty, so seems plausible…though i am embarrassed about them being treated that way there. Its not good, not good at all. That south park episode about the goobacks taking their jobs, reminds me a bit about your experience :frowning:

There is a Taiwanese-American category but it is a subcategory of Chinese.

Thank you.

Guy

I’d agree that this is a massive West Coast problem. Entitled homeless people thinking they can do all the drugs they want without consequence. It’s a cut-and-paste scenario all the way from SF, Seattle, to Vancouver.

I’d be all for drug legalization if we didn’t have to socialize the consequences. Or, could forcibly move these people away from cities to camps. Both groups would be safer then.

Greater Vancouver I heard the worst. Hillbilly Hippyville and the island I came across less. The Irony is that the shittalk was coming from dudes who were Asian in GVA.

There are some very affluent areas of Nanaimo, including where my family lives (Harbourfront, Departure Bay, etc.) where condos and houses can easily pass a million dollars. There are some pretty gritty areas too.

Having lived and owned property in Victoria, I actually like Nanaimo better. Nicer harbor and the city’s numerous parks are pretty amazing.

So I guess they were all gone and now starting to flood back again?

3 Likes

Let them leave. I am going to switch the term i use, jerk offs, to knee jerks from now on haha. Let the knee jerks bounce back home. Let the ones that care join the fight to make taiwan better.

1 Like

Why would they bother? A lot of the people in this category have the ability to work anywhere, and there are a lot of countries in the world. If Taiwan isn’t competitive enough internationally to attract them to stay here, that’s on Taiwan.

I can’t see much incentive for those people to come here to fight to make Taiwan better. Instead, the Taiwanese government should work to make Taiwan a more attractive place for foreigners to be and stay, like not routinely excluding us from stuff (if it does want to attract skilled foreign workers, as it claims to).

Taiwan might be able to try that shit and remain attractive to poor ASEAN workers with few opportunities, but it’s not going to work for highly qualified people with other options.

11 Likes

Indeed. I’m old. I don’t have enough spare life-years or energy left for fighting all the stupid things that governments do. At this point I’m looking for a country that will just leave me alone. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

5 Likes

Ya missed my first sentence :slight_smile: no one needs to. But there are those that care, stay and work to make a worthy nation stave off the craken haha.

2 Likes

Not even to ASEAN workers, who springboard to better wages as soon as they can. The only thing that keeps them here is the indentured slavery debt contracts.

I wish the Overseas compatriots could complain more, louder. Point out the faults in the system towards foreigners. Maybe the officials would listen to them. They are just at the right place: foreign enough to be affected, local enough to be heard.

2 Likes

Digital nomads regard themselves as citizens of the metaverse rather than nation states. That’s why it was so easy for them to fly the coop in the first place. A world without borders is their ideal.

3 Likes

Call me a fool, but there is more to life than spring boarding to better wages. There are so many problems with that mentality, its hard to know where to begin dubunking the logic. Because there are so many differnet variables and especially moral sets, its hard to gauge. But surely, if people are so sellfish to just springboard around based on hourly currencies, they cant/wont (shouldnt?) really be respected by employers, or the nations that support their temporary stay. Just saying, it goes both ways. All ways, if people are willing to think a bit deeper than just black and white.

I was wrong to say that SEA workers springboard into better wages.

How about springboarding to being treated like a human being, with the freedom to come and go as you please, with minimum safety guaranteed by law, with the right to spend your own money and hold on to your personal documents?

SEA workers will not see a cent of their wages until well into their contracts, may take years, depending on the debt acquired for the privilege to come to work to Taiwan, either 12 hours on a factory or 24 hours if home caregivers.

So excuse them for being so vain as to jump into the first opportunity to get outta dodge and earn a decent salary.

6 Likes

I think the SEA workers are even more valuable, because they have more kids.

Numbers are what Taiwan needs most badly. If 1 person = 3 persons, that would be a big boon.

2 Likes

That’s the big misconception. No we don’t need any kids. Without kids our economy and life will be much better. It’s much easier and cheaper to import talent.

And I general the world needs to get back to a decent level of homo sapiens. That’s maybe 1 billion but certainly not 9. So the big task is how to reduce that without destroying the economy and also not Killing people. The only answer can be much less kids worldwide.

2 Likes