Technical Writing Salary Survey

What is the average salary for Technical Writers in Taiwan?

• 30 - 40K NTD
  • 41 - 50K NTD
  • 51 - 60K NTD
  • 61 - 70K NTD
  • 71 - 80K NTD
  • 81 - 90K NTD
  • 91 - 100K NTD
  • 100K+ NTD

0 voters

Hello.
My boss has asked me to conduct a survey on average Technical Writing salaries in Taiwan.

Has any such survey been done? Please post a link to it if there has.

Could tech writers in Taiwan respond to the poll please. Average salaries should include bonuses, stock grants etc.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me at gaohuage@hotmail.com with any additional information related to the survey.

Thanks a lot.
Galahad

[quote=“Galahad”]Could tech writers in Taiwan PM or e-mail me at gaohuage@hotmail.com stating average salary, average annual bonuses, length of employment, years of technical writing experience overall, nationality and current location.

Of course all information will be treated as strictly confidential and will not be disclosed to others.
I can then post overall results to the list. This should be helpful to both “old and new birds”.[/quote]
I think you mean that you could post the results in general while keeping the participants’ information confidential.

quote]
I think you mean that you could post the results in general while keeping the participants’ information confidential.[/quote]

That is correct.

Errr, is he interested in those of us with 15 year’s experience and who are currently running like hell from any offers to go back into the business :laughing:?

Yes. Some re-education and a few struggle sessions may be required before you can give the “correct” poll answers though :laughing:

Bad experiences? Anything you want to share?
Galahad

Yes. Some re-education and a few struggle sessions may be required before you can give the “correct” poll answers though :laughing:

Bad experiences? Anything you want to share?
Galahad[/quote]

Errr, sure. Well, the LAST time I worked in Taiwan as a writer full time for a company (as in a captive lunatic) was 1993ish, and at that time my salary was NT$70K. In the intervening years, I spent a good amount of time in the U.S. in the same field, making–for a couple years–obscene amounts contracting in the Seattle area…HOWEVER…I am now swored off my poisoned pens bekuz I dont kare aboot spelingk and punkchewashun anymore (errr, 1997-2003 is 15 years, time for a career change).

BAD experiences: Trying to implement a working process based system in a Hsinchu Science Park company for the repeatable production of technical and user documentation (errr, getting people to follow rules there was a lot like trying to get people to respect traffic lights in Miao Li County). I won’t name the company, they are still around, and still run like a buncha headless chickens (or so I am told).

Actually, what finally got me out of the business was when Boeing started hiring professional writers to take meeting minutes. Okay, so they were paying US$40 an hour straight and 1.5x OT, so SURE! I’ll be a secretary :laughing:. However, after a year or so, I went stir crazy…

Back when I was working in Taiwan as a writer, the biggest problem was getting internal product information any sooner than 3.65943 seconds before the manual had to be sent to the printer (of course, printed manuals are rare now, and SMART companies are releasing as much documentation PDF of CD-ROM as possible, THAT would have been a dream, no printing lead time…)…

Errr…I actually got in trouble for refering to a veep of the company as Emperor Wang and his simpering underlings as “The Cour Eunuchs.” Hmmmm…did I quit, or was I fired? Hmmmm…I think I quit a fraction of a secong before being fired, so does that mean I quit???

he he he :laughing: :smiley: