Technology issue for us musicians/workstation vs computer

i will no longer use computers for my production (children’s songs). i have decided to buy a new Korg Triton Extreme. this is not a big switch for me, since i 've been using the same Korg 01W for the past 12 years for all my composing.i have only used the computer to transfere my work to WAV files,then to CD.
but this approach sucks. the Triton Extreme has audio tracks plus a real tube to sample thru. my singer is going to sound absolutely great thru this.also i can save direct to USB.not only that, it’s good to gig with. the piano sound in the Extreme is 100 TIMES BETTER than the one in the Triton Lite so don’t think you can get the triton lite and get the same results.also, the lite version has NO IN-TRACK SAMPLING so you’re not gonna have your singer in real time with your midi. you have to sample him/her first. and there’s no USB. the Extreme has all that.everything in one self contained machine.
guys, work stations rule in my book. computers are for email, chat, pictures, etc. workstations like the Triton Extreme are for making music. that’s my official review.i’m gonna shell out 1800US for it, but my wife tells me it’s worth it if i can earn money with it thru another 12 years and two more kids!

That’s nice.

Sounds like a cool thing. I always thought it would be nice to have something that would play a bass line or drums just to practice with, but I wouldn’t want to spend so much.

Richardm - The quick cheap (and effective) route you seek is to buy a midi controller keyboard. You can get a 61 key Midiman Radium for under NT$5,000 at Midi Mall. Go to Eslite bookstore and buy a copy of Computer Musician for NT$410 which includes a free CD or DVD with the magazine. Included are free and demo versions of a lot of music software including their complete music production software series (did I say FREE?).

Fire up your sequencer, load in a VST to play any type of instrument (piano, bass, drums, synths, etc.) and jam away smiling wildly. You can record it and burn it to disk easily if you want.

The best part is that you only paid NT$5,000 and not US$1800. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you need any help setting it up let me know.

Thanks. That sounds cool.

It sounds good for playing around, but for what rantman wants to do, it would be better to get the professional one.

There are so many new recording solutions out now that I wouldn’t make a hasty decision. In just six months there will be something new.

The people who have given their opinions on other forums usually talk about the tools they are using. Generally they are not going to use it for twelve years, but as long as it is easy to work with other things you’re covered. Maybe you’ll still be using that Korg as part of your setup in twelve years, but just make sure that is the thing that is most perfect before shelling out that much cash.

I see one auction on ebay, shipping to the US only for that keyboard: OKorg Triton Extreme
I just went to http://www.ebay.com.tw where there is an auction for internet salesmen who will send international. KORG TRITON EXTREME 88 KEY KEYBOARD.

Also they have two at the ATB music shop in Taipei. http://www.atbmusic.com/midi_keyboards&amps.htm#Keyboards. From what you said it seemed like you hadn’t tested the Titan Extreme keyboard. Many people suggest to test the musical equipment at ATB then buy online. They will let you test all you like, especially if it looks like you might purchase a high end keyboard. I think that is the best way, because the price at ATB is not as low as online, and also they aren’t so concerned about getting the warranty fulfilled there (one bad experience with a bass bag).

If you need some Chinese language online sites, let me know and I can ask my friends for the addresses.

Sure the Triton is good, but after ditching a lot of synths over the years, I have become disillusioned with hardware synths. They quickly sound dated and you have to wait 20 years before retro becomes cool again in order to use it. Particularly the sequencers in the workstations become outmoded fast. And working on that small screen and flipping through endless menus is frustrating.

However, having said that, a hardware synth is far more reliable than a laptop when playing live. So if you are going to play out, sure go for it. But I think for studio work the DAW (computer) with software synths and sampler approach is a much better solution.

If you want a better controller you can go for the 88 key pro model with weighted keys that feels very close to the action of a real piano.

Coupled with a good sample-based piano VST like Steinberg Grand you

Also check out Midi Mall in Taipei www.midimall.com.tw - the owner, Paul, is really cool and speaks English fluently.

the thing is i’m totally workstation oriented.even when i got my first Cakewalk pro audio, it was make the song on the korg 01, tighten the midi in Cakewalk. i can do songs so much faster on the 01W. it would shock a lot of people. it’s like your wife. she’s not perfect, but after 12 years you know her. i know about where every voice is in the basic voice set.that helps me to work fast.
there’s another problem lurking out there though: the numerous formats for your final product. i wish the best format, be Mp3 or whatever to survive and the others go by the wayside. i hate meeting my send in deadline only to get a call back saying “i can’t open it”. and you know those girls in the office aren’t exactly techno nerds so you have to go back and reburn it or whatever. and email is still not a good way to send stuff cause it’s slow -at least my hotmail and yahoo are. anybody know how to send MP3s faster?
about midi mall,
paul used to be my friend but i now only consider him an aquaintence. he tried to fuck me for 5000 once and that only happens once with me. i know business is business, but i almost decked him.

oh, by the way electronix asked me if i’m buying locally or abroad: maybe locally. tong bouh (ATM) treats me pretty good. his wife is a nice lady who balances his business side. i like him. get to know tong bouh. you can learn a lot from just being around him.
seems cheaper here, but i’m not very good at “sa jia”.

this looks like the right thread to hijack… ski mask on, pointed finger in pocket… and…

so, I’ve just finished the sound proofing on the olde home studio and now comes the workstation… a no frills PC with a bunch of HD space and anEMU 1820m I feel this is a good basis to start from… I usually use electric guitars, bass, vocals and I’ve got a Yamaha MIDI drumkit…

my real question lies in software… I’ve messed around with Cubase VST before and whilst it seems super powerful, i felt lost in it’s vastness… The last time i used cakewalk was in the early 90’s and I’m sure it’s come a long way since then… what i’m looking for (in the beginning) is nice easy multi track recording and mastering, just studio basics… later I’ll be looking to mess around with Reason etc. to do electronic stuff as well as the analogue instrument based stuff…

so can anyone offer any suggestions for 1.) what type of software I should be looking at in terms of ease of use, (likely to use) features vs. price etc… 2.) is MidiMall and/or ATB the place to go to for this software and 3.) comments on a better hardware setup…

mooochos gracias…

plasmatron

I use Cubase SX version 2

Version 3 is out, but I have not upgraded yet.

I was used to Cakewalk, but it only took me mintues to get recording with Cubase.

Also the newer VST plugins (Virtual synths and effects) are really good.

Simple to use, and sonically outstanding.

Don’t be worried about the tech part, just think about it as an old analogue mixing desk, and 16 track tape and it’s easy.

If you want real easy , try band in a box, which is abit like that MAC package Garage band

I really an audio novice. I want to try it someday. I think I’d try Apple Logic. It’s supposed to be pretty good. Anyone have comparisons?

As for mp3s. I’m sure a real app can save in any format you want. And it’s easy to convert. Can even use iTunes to convert a wav to aac or mp3.

Someday I’ll get a digital piano and fire up Sibelius or Finale to learn how to play.