TECO U.S. office verification of diploma

My university this year is trying to obtain my lecturer’s certificate. What we are stuck on is getting my master’s degree officially verified by the NY TECO office (as I got my degree and am from PA). My department assistant was told that I would have to send my original diploma (which I have here in Taiwan, since they needed to see the original) to the NY Teco office. That sounds a bit nuts. Has anyone done this process? What exactly do I need to do?

Calls to the TECO office have only resulted in “we don’t do that.” But the MOE folks here keep insisting that they do. What’s up?

Thanks ahead for any assistance.

I had to get my diplomas certified by TECO in Vancouver - very much the same situation. Here’s what I had to do:

• Mailed my original diplomas from Taiwan to the Vancouver TECO along with a form downloaded from that offices’ website.

• I also had to include a Canadian (in your case, most likely an American) money order for the certification. As well, I was required to send in a priority post (or similar) prepaid envelope with which the diplomas would be returned. To do this I had to get a family member in Canada to send in the money order and the envelope separately with a cover letter to match the one I had sent with my diplomas.

• It’s a real headache and the best thing. I found, was to make telephone contact with someone from the TECO office in Canada. This way, the mail was addressed to his attention and he was aware of the fact that he would be recieving two separate packages in order to process my diplomas. Otherwise different people get different information and no one knows what is what.

• The other thing is that you need to make sure that you call them again later to get a trace number on the return package. This way you can follow it through the postal system as well.

• Keep in mind that this process takes some time!