Teenagers gang fight

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]hey bobpine,

just wondering, do you think it may have been a gang initiation on the victim, and therefore he had to stand and take the beating in order to be allowed in the gang?

the sky is the limit as far as gang initiations go. at least if this was an initiation it was on one of their members and not a random stranger.

curious

jm[/quote] They seemed a bit too angry for that to be the case. I doubt it. Maybe he failed his initiation and was being rejected from the gang. I have a feeling he stole something from one of them and they went ballistic on him.

[quote]lots of loud cat-squalling, grimacing and furious motion meaning absolutely nothing.[/quote] Considering that 20 guys couldn’t knock him down, and the lack of facial bruises, I’d say that’s a pretty accurate description for what I saw as well.

bobepine

Bobpine…where in Kaohsiung did you see this?

I have noticed that there is a noticable feeling of hostility. Nothing substancial…just a feeling.

There is a tea place next to the place where I live. The owner seems to be a small time gangster. Has quite a few scooter punks hanging around there and their favorite pastime was yelling bad things at me everytime I would come home. I usually don’t let stuff like that bother me but…

So one Sunday morning after Aikido class I decided to wear my gei and hamaka home. I stopped at the the tea shop, got off my scooter, and ordered some tea and as I was waiting I got to talking to Mr. Little Gangster Boss. After a while I told him that I thought it would be nice if his “friends” wouldn’t say bad stuff to me when I take my kids to the park. He agreed and now we are buddies…and his posse keep their mouths shut when I enter/leave. :wink:

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Bobpine…where in Kaohsiung did you see this?
[/quote]

Let’s say you’re at the light house on Fuguo road and you turn left on Yucheng Road toward Boai Road. Just past Fumin Road, on the left, there is a huge internet cafe. In other words, it was on Yucheng Road outside this internet cafe located between Boai and Fumin Road.

I have the same feeling as you btw. More than once, young punks have screamed names at me. Usually basic things like “kiss my ass” or “Fuck you.” I let it be because I can see finding my beautiful scooter in pieces one day if I get into it with any of them. My teeth are also precious to me and besides, I’m not the fighting type.

These guys hang out at DIY scooters shop a lot and so do I because I fix bikes all the time. When you talk to them, the attitude changes and they become friendly. Yes they giggle a lot and find it quite funny to see a foreigner with greasy hands taking a bike apart but I don’t think it’s malicious. Just insecure kids.

bobepine

Maybe they just need a time out.

When I used to live in Kaohsiung I found this too.
However, I didn’t get the feeling it was malicious; it seems they think it’s cool to say these things because they hear them said in movies. Either that, or they are showing off infront of their mates which is something I used to do as a teenager.
They just do it in different ways in Taiwan and in Kaohsiung, foreigners are a novelty.
I confronted a “gang” (actually, they were just teenagers and 20 year olds hanging out on scooters) about it once and it became immediately obvious that they don’t really understand the weight of offence attached to these words. They just think they’re being smart.

Usually.

Once I was outside a comic book shop in Kaohsiung and a teenager was parked at the side of the road with his scooter. Three scooter pilots came racing around the corner and one fell off (ha ha)!!
His bike skidded into the lad who was parked on the side of the road so the scooter pilot got up, retrieved his “D” lock and proceeded to bash the hell out of the innocent teenager that had just had his scooter swiped from under him by incompetent scooter cowboy.
All his mates came out of the comic shop and stood around.
Guess what? Yep, it was the foreigner who took the “D” lock off the wannabe gangster. But even with the “D” lock the Gangster was giving pussy punches. He might as well have been hitting him with a Gareth Gates inlay card.

You are a dangerous mouse indeed. :wink: I’m sure you’re right for some cases. Your experience sure tells you different and the wannabe you describe sure sounds like a less than desireable friend. I just get the sense that most of these kids are just all a little bit lost and they are not really malicious.

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]You are a dangerous mouse indeed. :wink: I’m sure you’re right for some cases. Your experience sure tells you different and the wannabe you describe sure sounds like a less than desireable friend. I just get the sense that most of these kids are just all a little bit lost and they are not really malicious.

bobepine[/quote]

Much agreed. Given my exprience over CNY this year, I really got a good insight as to why people would be inclined to do drugs and so forth.

From my teaching exprience in a private school, I can see where if you don’t meet the standards of the school, teacher,etc a kid is subjected to isolation which leads to dropout, low self esteem eventually reckless behaviour all just to get attention or bring meaning to one’s life.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Much agreed. Given my exprience over CNY this year, I really got a good insight as to why people would be inclined to do drugs and so forth. [/quote]Did you see a ghost or something?

[quote]I can see where if you don’t meet the standards of the school, teacher,etc a kid is subjected to isolation which leads to dropout, low self esteem eventually reckless behaviour all just to get attention or bring meaning to one’s life.[/quote]Very well put.

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”][quote=“Namahottie”]Much agreed. Given my exprience over CNY this year, I really got a good insight as to why people would be inclined to do drugs and so forth. [/quote]Did you see a ghost or something?

No I was soooooo bored out of my mind that I was doing things a college grad and over 30 yr old shouldn’t be doing.

Don’t be so hard on yourself, we all do some strange things way after our college years are nothing but memories.

You know, you got me thinking about the “21st century patriotism” thread with your comment about how a country can be mesured by what it does for it’s citizens and now you just made me think of another thread. That one will be in the open forum.

Cheers!

bobepine

go for what you know :beer: