TEFL in Taiwan: The Good and the Bad

I’m not sure about the teaching demo, but some of the other info he claimed was “confirmed by the CLA” seemed a bit off. I read somewhere that the legal requirement for advance notice given in leaving a job was only 10 days for first year employees - certainly not two months.

EDIT: I just found the article I was referring to on Tealit, and it is a little bit vague:

[quote]Teachers are bound by the Labor Standards act regarding what their responsibilities are to employers. You must follow the provisions outlined in Article 15, with specific attention to paragraph 2:

In the case of a special fixed-term contract for a term of more than three years, a worker may, after expiration of three years, terminate the contract by giving notice to his employer thirty days in advance.

In the case of a worker terminating a non-fixed term contract, the provisions of Paragraph one of Article 16 pertaining to the prescribed time limit for serving advance notice shall apply mutatis.

Article 16 states:

1. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than three months but less than one year, the notice shall be given 10 days in advance.
   2. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than one year but less than three years, the notice shall be given 20 days in advance.
   3. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than three years, the notice shall be given 30 days in advance.

[/quote]
Source: tealit.com/article_categories.ph … le=leaving

I’m not sure about the teaching demo, but some of the other info he claimed was “confirmed by the CLA” seemed a bit off. I read somewhere that the legal requirement for advance notice given in leaving a job was only 10 days for first year employees - certainly not two months.[/quote]Yeah, I noticed that. I don’t think it’s two months for any employees in Taiwan, is it? I suppose some people may have contracts that specify a two-month notice period, but I wouldn’t have thought it’s a statutory requirement.

If the article I quoted from Tealit is accurate, the notice required is never more than 30 days. But I think you’ve mentioned on more than one occasion that this article is outdated. I don’t know why I keep referring to it.

If the article I quoted from Tealit is accurate, the notice required is never more than 30 days. But I think you’ve mentioned on more than one occasion that this article is outdated. I don’t know why I keep referring to it.[/quote]
I don’t think that particular article is outdated. The one I’ve talked about as being outdated is the one talking about switching employers, which I think up until recently still described the old method of adding one employer to your ARC before removing the other: having two concurrent work permits for a little while. I’ve just had a look, though and they’ve updated it now. The current article seems (from a quick read just now) to be fairly useful, except for the rather confusing usage of “second job” to refer to the new job. To be fair, I think the law/regulations also use that term, but I think it would be clearer if Tealit had defined the term a bit better.

Anyway, please don’t look on what I write as authoritative in any way! All I know is from my own limited experience and from a reasonably good memory of other people’s posts about their experiences. Plus reading various bits of the relevant laws translated to English from time to time–there are a couple of decent links that people have posted before. I’ll repost them when I find them.