TEFL/TESOL Courses in Taiwan?

I’m moving to Taipei soon and looking for TELF or TESOL courses in the Taipei area. I know you don’t need it to teach, but it would be a nice confidence boost before I start.

Most responses have been vague. I’m hoping someone could give me names of schools that offer these courses. Hopefully there is a couple!

Any help would be appreciated!

You

The problem is that there really aren’t any regular certification programs in Taiwan. I’ve seen advertisements for programs in Thailand, like 4-6 week intensive programs. But not in Taiwan. There was a small group sponsored through Penn State that had a TEFL certification program (4 weekends) in Taipei. I did that about five years back. It was pretty much a one man show and that man left Taiwan several years ago.

I do know folks who are doing distance masters, or those, 1/2 distance 1/2 on-site masters, but that’s a whole other ball of wax.

Has anyone looked into what it would take to set up a certification TEFL course in Taiwan?

Also, the TESOL chapter in Taiwan is made up primarily of Taiwanese teachers of English in public schools. I don’t know of any services they offer to foreign English teachers, except the yearly ETA conference, which I never saw advertised in the cram schools or English newspapers.

Does anyone have close ties with ETA/TESOL Taiwan? Are they interested in actively working with foreign cram school teachers? As of now, there aren’t any organizations of foreign English teachers, not that I know of anyway.

Anyone interested in that project? Certainly daunting since most foreign English teachers come and go within a few years.

If anyone out there has more up-to-date info, please share!

Thanks for the feedback ckvw. I have done a lot of research on the net with no success. I have seen the same advertising on Thailand I think I might make a pitstop there. I just do not want to be thrown into the wolves right away. Any other ideas come to mind let me know. I’m not heading out until summer and would rather go straight to Taiwan.

James

Can’t you do one some where in the U.S.?
TESOL career starting FAQ
I’m sure you must have run into this in your internet searching, but someone may find it useful.

but hey, would anyone really recommend spending the excess on a tefl program, unless it’s from a reputed source?

there seems to be too many teachers - including myself - who’ve managed to find employment here and not had the tefl stamp of approval. personally, as a black guy who came during cny - which isn’t particularly the best time of year to get a job here - and still found plenty of jobs available, i’d say don’t worry about it. it might be a good thing to have to distinguish you from the pack, and it definitely will help you learn how to teach english, but then again you might find yourself at a school which frowns upon actual “education”

just something to think about

grasshopper,
You may be on to something or on something. I have been thinking of just going in cold turkey. The other poster asked about the states. I wouldn’t mind going that route, but I would rather get acclimated in Taiwan and build job leads. Sounds like that is not necessary??
Thanks for all the input!
James

As far as I know, neither the CELTA nor TESOL (Trinity) can be done in Taiwan.

“Building job leads” for your garden variety English teaching job involves picking up the local English newpaper. There are always lots of listings for English teachers. If you’ve got any contacts in Taiwan, have them send you a copy of the one of the local English papers and you can see for yourself that finding opportunities isn’t a problem. Remember, though, that from the day of interview, if offered a job, it could still be a few weeks before you actually start teaching and might be even longer before you get your first paycheck (paperwork!!!). So as you should have already found out, bring enough extra money to get you through a few months.

Having certification is more for your own sense of professionalism and feelings of preparedness. If you have the time, money and inclination, why not? However, certification is not necessary by any means.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

QAm i right in thinking that CELTA is for teaching adults? Is there an equivalent for teaching children?

Brian

How can I tell if this course is kosher?

teflinternational.com/programs/tesol.cfm

Anyone done this course in Thailand?

Brian

Sir Don asks [quote]Am i right in thinking that CELTA is for teaching adults? Is there an equivalent for teaching children? [/quote]
There is a children’s equivalent. From memory it’s called CELTC (if it’s not called that then that’s a good guess anyway), but it’s not offered in as many places. In fact, when I did my CELTA in Melbourne, I had three places to choose from alone, yet the nearest CELTC was in New Zealand.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]Q Am i right in thinking that CELTA is for teaching adults? Is there an equivalent for teaching children?

Brian[/quote]

Yes, the CELTYL. YL = Young Learners

The course takes two weeks and you need to have already completed the CELTA. For more info check this link: English Language Teaching to Young Learners

A Community college from the Philippines holds regular Seminars here in Taipei. I am not sure when the next one is, but I am sure you can email them to find out. Their email is : lubaocommunitycollege@yahoo.com

Give it a shot, I hear it’s very reasonable in price, like US$ 495 or something like that. You get all the paperworks, Certificate and a pin. I am not sure what the pin is for ???

Good Luck

We are looking for places that offer CELTA courses (seems that my hubby’s masters degree & 7 years of teaching Englsih arent enough to some countries). Anybody know if such courses are offered here in this country ?

Thanks for any input!

Canadian Institute of English, look them up.

AFAIK there are none.

There’s a place on Koh San Rd, BKK where a friend of mine earned the degree of his choice and a TEFL qualification in a day. I think he paid 4-5000 NT for both - I’ll have to email to get the details.

Also, Elite English (opposite SOGO) asked me if I was interested in qualifying as an IELTS examiner. I know absolutely nothing about how this works, but it might be worth talking to them.

Most English language schools require a college degree from an English-speaking country. I take it your hubby doesn’t have that. Would he be able to get a work permit then if has the CELTA?

As tmwc noted, Thailand has some short-term intensive courses. I’ve never heard of any Taiwan, not that I haven’t looked.

Any updates, Amoreton?

Checked with Canadian Institute of English in Taipei - they do have TESOL courses. The next one will be in January 2004, and you have to register as early as September 2003 if you’re interested.

Hubby does have US degrees indeed and is a native speaker. His colleagues are in the same boat…some countries like KSA, UAE, Malaysia, Brunei, etc wont even consider your application if you dont have a teaching cert ALTHOUGH you have Master’s degrees and hold over 5-8 years English - teaching experiences.

Thought about Thailand…maybe…maybe…