Telephone Calls and how they are charged

If I make a phone call, but my phone doesn’t hang up on my side, but the person on the other side does. How will it be charged? For the whole duration until I hang the phone up on my side or until they’ve cut me off on their side?

Yeah, I didn’t hang up in NZ when I called Taiwan. My mother in law couldn’t use her phone for hours until my end was hung up.

Thing is, I didn’t even know I’d called her. It was an accident.

The bill :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: Yup, my cellphone was charged.

Now I want to know if that is correct too, after all, they did hang up.

With traditional (circuit switched) telephone networks, charging starts when the conneciton is established (i.e. the called party off-hooks the phone) and it ends when the connection is released i.e. when either party hangs up.

I don’t think there is a general rule like this for IP telephony (e.g. if you use pre-dial numbers, telephone cards etc. )

Bassman, what you have experienced sounds very unlikely. But you can test it easily, call your home number with your mobile phone, get the call, hang up your home phone and try to call somebody else with your home phone, before you hang up yor mobile.

If your mobile call is not released within a second or so after you hang up your home phone, something is wrong. If you can’t make a phone call with your homephone immediately after you hung up on your mobile call, something is wrong, too.

[quote=“rice_t”]With traditional (circuit switched) telephone networks, charging starts when the conneciton is established (i.e. the called party off-hooks the phone) and it ends when the connection is released i.e. when either party hangs up.

I don’t think there is a general rule like this for IP telephony (e.g. if you use pre-dial numbers, telephone cards etc. )

Bassman, what you have experienced sounds very unlikely. But you can test it easily, call your home number with your mobile phone, get the call, hang up your home phone and try to call somebody else with your home phone, before you hang up yor mobile.

If your mobile call is not released within a second or so after you hang up your home phone, something is wrong. If you can’t make a phone call with your homephone immediately after you hung up on your mobile call, something is wrong, too.[/quote]

Unlikely… but true. I kid you not.

I’ve hung up on my mother in law many times only to pick up the phone and find her still there. :astonished:

WHY???

Maybe there is something wrong with your mother in law?

I don’t know. It sounds af if your phone does not release the call when you put the phone down. But if your mother in law hangs up on you, she should still be able to make another call, even if your phone hasn’t released the call.

Don’t know how if works here but happened me a lot in England. Eventually I was just told to use another phone to ring the operator and ask him/her to “clear down” the line on whatever phone number it was. I asked why this happens and was told the other end did not understand or didn’t get the “clear down” signal from my end, or the other end’s phone/system/baked bean tin had a “non-standard clear-down procedure”.

Whatever that means. However I did learn that “clear down” is telecom engineerspeak for “hang up”. Which is one of those useless pieces of information I can’t get out of my head. (Whereas I can’t remember my home phone number!)

[quote=“Bassman”]
I’ve hung up on my mother in law many times only to pick up the phone and find her still there. :astonished: [/quote]

Tee hee. What a nightmare! Every time you pick your phone up your mother-in-law is on the other end. HAHAHA!

This is by design, only the person initiating the call can terminate it. This way if get a call, you can answer it, say “hold on, I’ll take it upstairs”, put the phone down, and pick up the one upstairs.