Tell me about the best steak you have had in Taiwan

I need a steak. A real, to-quality steak from a top-notch steakhouse. Not a Taiwanese steak.

Guide me wel, oh forumosans.

Go to Costco and get yourself a real American steak, bring it home, throw it on the grill and barbecue it to perfection. :lick:

Or spring for Ruth’s Chris.

Avoid Outback: they’ve “Taiwanified” their menu by serving gristly steaks. :frowning:

Ruth’s Chris is probably what you want if you want a straight-forward quality steak meal. If you want something else then there are others.

What is your budget?

No Ruth’s Chris here in Kaohsiung. I have to do as Chris said, go get me a steak and bring it home to cook. But a steak like this is indeed the best steak I’ve ever eaten in Taiwan. And there were no noodles hiding under it, no freaky sauces drowning it, and there was no fried egg anywhere near it. (Though I do like steak and eggs.)

Actually, Yuma serves pretty decent steak and it’s not stupidly expensive either.

Great artsy food…I am partial to the excellent lamb chops but I have bitten into the steak and it was nice… :thumbsup:

I like anything that Franz does, so I am a bit partial to the restaurant. Excellent decor and yummy food.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2009/09/11/2003453296

Hungry Girl Taipei had a glowing review of No. 168 Prime Steakhouse:

hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/2010 … nd-no.html

grandvictoria.com.tw/en/rest2.php

Haven’t tried it myself, and likely won’t… well, maybe ever. It’s a special occasion place and the wife no longer eats beef.

Best restaurant steak (AFAIK): Ruth’s Chris
Best home-cooked steak (AFAIK): the most expensive cut from Costco

BBQ House in Hsinchu. I haven’t eaten cow in 25 years and only the aroma from the steaks here make me think twice about that decision.

/thread

[quote=“redwagon”]BBQ House in Hsinchu. I haven’t eaten cow in 25 years and only the aroma from the steaks here make me think twice about that decision.

/thread[/quote]

X2

I’d say Lawry’s prime rib in the Living Mall in Taipei.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Best restaurant steak (AFAIK): Ruth’s Chris
Best home-cooked steak (AFAIK): the most expensive cut from Costco[/quote]

That’s all folks!

Not exactly a “steak” But I took my USDA food chart to my local RT Mart butcher and had my SO translate. I got one of the best 5 rib prime Rib roasts that I have ever had - bar none. Best you can get is 7 because you run out of ribs. I didn’t mind because I got the “best of the best”. I baked it in my oven that I bought at Costco, see “Oven Recommendations” and it was about the best thing I have had here since sex with the Cheng twins. Actually, I think the roast was better.
First, print out a copy of the USDA beef chart from google. Print it and go to the local market. Upscale of course. Show what you want and come back the next day and get some Damned good beef.

Anyone been to A Cut in the Ambassador Hotel? I have not, but a chef friend who went recently said they are miles better than Ruth’s Chris.

This is about all I could find on it:

[quote]A CUT Steakhouse
(02) 2571-0389
63, ZhongShan N Rd, Sec 2, B1 (The Ambassador Hotel Taipei)
Hours:lunch 11:30 am-3 pm; dinner 6-10:30 pm
Credit cards accepted. 10% service charge.

The Ambassador Hotel in Taipei has been around for 43 years now, but A Cut, a steakhouse inside the hotel, is relatively new. Decorated with earth tones and nice displays of wine bottles, the place is low-key and fashionable. The name, “A Cut”, refers both to best cut of a steak and the restaurant’s high standards. Recently in the kitchen, Chef Danny Teng and his team have been using a trendy cooking method called “Sous-vide & Herb Bath”, which is popular in fine dining establishments in Europe and the U.S. The restaurant hopes to attract all steak connoisseurs to taste their fine cuts and use the opportunity to promote beef culture in Taiwan. --By Josie Wu, translated by Ann Lee

A. A Chef’s recommendation, the USDA Prime Center Cut Rib Eye (22oz, NT$3,300) is tender and juicy, topped with sauteed garlic. The presentation is also pleasing to the eye.

B. A Cut Steakhouse also offers a great selection of appetizers: Seared Foie Gras imported from Canada, braised with abalone (NT$700) is an excellent choice. Also available are the Arugula and Baby Greens Salad (NT$380) and Veal Consomme; both have great flavors.
[/quote]

Sous-vide means that the meat has been cooked in vacuum or something like that… Flavours is doing that too, so not really a big deal and imho it doesn’t make the meat taste better…

X3

BBQ House in HsinChu…X3

This thread is a million kinds of awesome!

My budget: I don’t care, because I need the ultimate steak just once. I haven’t taken myself out for a steak in forever, and when I do, I want it to be the ultimate steak. Hell with the date, I’ll go alone. But I have to go out for it, don’t have a grill and I want a steak seared like only an expensive restaurant has the equipment to do.

Hmmm, Ruth Chris vs. lawry’s. I didn’ even know we had lawry’s in Taiwan. I think I’ll go and drool at some online menus. :lick:

Please feel free to describe more about the steaks. I’d like a really big filet that you could cut with a butterknife, or something so thick it has to be sliced vertically.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Hungry Girl Taipei had a glowing review of No. 168 Prime Steakhouse:

hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/2010 … nd-no.html

grandvictoria.com.tw/en/rest2.php

Haven’t tried it myself, and likely won’t… well, maybe ever. It’s a special occasion place and the wife no longer eats beef.[/quote]

4.bp.blogspot.com/_3SBgAedznDo/T … C01031.JPG

Warning huge menu image under here, sfw

Whoa, those are some pricy steaks. 3,800 for Australian Wagyu? I don’t even know what that is. Is it even worth it?

I haven’t had a steak in way too long. I guess if I’m going to pay 2000 3000 isn’t much more, but is it worth it?

There are no prices on the Ruth Chris online Taipei Menu, but I can go to Lawry’s and get a nice piece of prime rib with mashed potatoes and salad for under 2000, which sounds cery comforting. But Prime Rib is not steak. And I want steak.