Tell me how to delete my membership

I don’t need to be called names like an ignoramus and a troll by a moderator for simply expressing an opinion.

There’s no process for deleting your membership. If you don’t want to participate anymore, you just don’t come back.

Brian

yes, there is. You just have to change your e-mail address and then your account will be deactivated. It will only be reactivated if you should click on the link sent to the new e-mail address that you list.

That’s an easy way.

But where did this all take place… chapter and verse, I mean, forum and thread.

This brings up an interesting point: Can a moderator post as a regular poster or does he have to be more moderate? If I posted as Wolf, I might call some one an ignorant piss ant, but posting as a moderator, I’d think that I’d have to avoid such thorny phrasework.

I’m the unrepentant criminal. A poster asked where the eateries are around Taida, to which Dream warrior contributed the super-helpful “Taiwanese food sucks.” Off-topic at best, trolling at worst, so out it went.

Sandman,

If you’re going to reply tell the whole story. Yes I said that I’m not taking it back it’s my opinion no big deal. What I said was not offensive unless YOU are a Taiwanese chef. But I don’t need to call someone an ignoramus or a troll like you called me. That’s a real sign of maturity.

And if you bothered to read my PM to you, you would no doubt remember that I suggested that if you want to discuss this, start a thread on the subject. I have no objection to that whatsoever.
This has nothing to do with the offensiveness of your statement (although I don’t need to be a Taiwanese chef to be offended by blatant ignorance) but because it was off-topic. You claim it was not a troll. Very well. You’re not a troll.

And if you bothered to read my PM to you, you would no doubt remember that I suggested that if you want to discuss this, start a thread on the subject. I have no objection to that whatsoever.
This has nothing to do with the offensiveness of your statement (although I don’t need to be a Taiwanese chef to be offended by blatant ignorance) but because it was off-topic. You claim it was not a troll. Very well. You’re not a troll.[/quote]

Come on Sandy :smiley: , how many times have you posted something like that in an attempt to be witty. Off topic, it’s still about food and I assume that there is Taiwanese food in that location, so, “Taiwanese food sucks” would be a good answer.

Stating that Taiwanese Food sucks has nothing to do with ignorance, just taste. It was a fair comment and a fair opinion. I would have let it go, but then that’s me, I post Waaaaaaaaay off topic all the time and have people, sometimes even moderators, take my threads wayyyyyyyy off topic too. I don’t mind, but then it was someone doing mental farts in your forum, oh well, that’s your business I guess.

Give the newbies a break, who knows, if they stuck around they could be productive, but now I guess we’ll never know.

Okay, I hope I don’t get bashed for asking this question…

some of the old-timer here likes to pick up on newbies… and why is that?? I mean com’on… we all used to be newbies, right?? Or is it certain humor of the posters that just doesn’t seen funny to me??

okay… come attack me now…

I am an asker of questions and give information where and when it is needed. Otherwise I use Forumosa as a outlet and a place to keep up with “real” English. I wish more people would take it that way.

Sometimes I even ask questions that I already have the answer for, just to see if anyone has a different view point.

That’s what it is all about, right?

Hakkasonic, now here’s a guy that knows how to use this site. Just the right ammount of insanity and usefulness

Because these old-timers have no power in their own lives and insulting someone with whom they have no intimate connection, someone who is arguably at that moment “dehumanized,” gives them some small spark of satisfaction and sense of control in an otherwise unruly, unforgiving world. Or maybe it’s because newbies tend to make daft posts. Take your pick.

Yeah, it seems like this place has a few pissing contests. But, there are so many different kinds of forums here that I guess you can expect that to sort of thing happen. The place isn’t just an information exchange it’s also an opinion exchange!

I’ll throw in my 2 cents worth here.

In this case, it was a short post that may have been a troll. But still no need to accuse. Simply point out that the comment isn’t constructive to the discussion. And while it may show poor judgement in choosing what to post, that doesn’t merit being called an ignoramus. Such a comment is as constructive as the post that triggered it.

This is just one incident and I’m not making any generalizations about anyone’s moderating. I spend most of my time in Teaching English forum anyway. In general, I think mods ought to be more moderate (how appropriate!) in their own postings. Simply point out to a problematic poster that their comment seemed inappropriate and why. And those mods who like to “let their hair down” and let loose can have an alter ego for less even-handed postings.

I’d hate for sandman to reign in his zingers. I rather enjoy them, as well as his righteous zeal about certain issues.

I don’t think older posters pick on younger posters. I think that people with a great deal of life experience often have little patience for youngsters who are still learning some of the basic lessons of life (e.g. you can’t make sweeping generalizations about an entire cuisine without sounding a bit immature). It is often difficult to remember what boneheads we were in our own youth, so we have a tendency to come down hard on the kids.

I believe someone being older and more mature should be someone with more patience and understanding. Dont go down to their (the immature person) level, so to say.

Unless you’re a bastard, which it makes it OK.
All right, all right. Enough already. I admit I should have refrained from pointing out the obvious and calling the poster an ignoramus. Next time, I’ll just describe the post as ignorant and leave it up to the reader to form an opinion of the poster.

I don’t think I have picked on anyone unless they were being a complete wanker on more than one occasion. I think my original posts as a newbie might have been a little less than helpful or useful…well, actually, just taking a trip down memory lane, my first 20 posts (back in the winter of 2001 and restarted in April 2002) weren’t too bad, but I think I am pretty forgiving of newbies as long as they don’t fall into that aforementioned category…

Hitting the big 7-0-0 before Halloween…

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Hitting the big 7-0-0 before Halloween…[/quote]I don’t know which one of those is more scary :stuck_out_tongue:

An account can be deactivated by:

1.) start a new yahoo account

2.) change you email information here to correspond to the new email.

3.) delete new email account.