Tell me what I need in a pc

So I’ve always had great advice from this forum and anything I bought that was recommended was exactly what i needed so here I am again.
I’m looking at getting a desktop. I have a monitor, keyboard etc.
I primarily need it for writing, web research, watching movies, a bit of website dev. I don’t really need anything too hardcore and I know if I head down to Guanghua I will no doubt find something I am happy enough with, but as regards intel vs AMD I am just looking for some advice on which is more suitable to my needs. If intel Do I really need to bother with i3 vs i5 vs i7 for what I am using it for? I don’t really want to be told what I want from a guy in a store that’s thinking of his commission so that’s why I’m asking.
And I have been on an old tiny XP for years now on three different systems so it’s about time I made the upgrade to 7 or 8, I’m thinking 7 is the way to go for me but should I just get something that can downgrade to 7 from 8?
Much appreciation to the kindly souls that reply :slight_smile:

Let’s see… For the things you mention, you’d probably be OK with a small nettop where you could plug your screen, keyboard and mouse, but let’s assume you want something more…

First of all the basic questions: Which software do you normally use? This will tell us about the requirements for your machine/OS.

Personally, I’d recommend to skip buying windows at all, purchase a decent computer and install any linux flavour on it (Ubuntu or Linux Mint come to mind, because they are VERY user-friendly, and both are free). You have Libreoffice installed by default, which is an office-like suite with MS office files support out of the box, you have mozilla thunderbird as a default mail client, and you can choose any browser (except IE and Safari, of course). You have also a music player and a multimedia player, but you can just install VLC and forget about codecs and sh*t (not that they’re difficult to install, at all). So, the only thing would be to know if you need a specific program (for website developement) that doesn’t have an alternative in Linux (I doubt it, but you never know). Linux will work fine with almost any hardware configuration, and most things work out of the box, which means you don’t need to look for drivers and they will be automatically updated. Nevertheless, I recommend nVidia or Intel HD graphics, not AMD/ATI because their driver support is awful. Did I mention that for daily use, you don’t need antivirus in Linux? Most viruses are specifically written for windows, and they just don’t work in linux machines. Beside, the programs can’t affect any critical part of your system unless you give them permission manually.

The best thing is that with most linux distributions, you can copy them onto a pendrive and do a test run to see if you like them before installing (you could try them in your old computer, see how they work, and go buy the new computer with your OS decision already made). Keep in mind that booting from a Live USB will always be slower than booting from your hard drive.

In case you decide to go for windows, I’d definetly recommend windows 7 instead of 8, but you’ll need a better hardware to run it (It’s less optimized than most linux distributions, which means the hardware requeriments are higher).

Thanks, I had been thinking about linux but I’m not really all that familiar with it but from what you have said it sounds too good to not try out. Thanks for the input

Computers have been powerful enough for most people for the past 5 years. You really might as well just get the cheapest stuff possible. The only thing you might want to try is getting an SSD since I/O is the main bottleneck these days. SSD for system and a 1+ TB magnetic drive for media is a typical combo (unless you are paranoid and plan to encrypt, then just get regular drives).

The usual AMD vs Intel debate usually boils down to AMD delivering more bang for your buck and AMD being better at multithreading and Intel better at single thread performance, although of course if you spend enough money, Intel will beat out AMD in both cases. Since you’re not doing anything that requires much power, might as well go for AMD. Not sure about Intel, but I think all of AMD’s processors nowadays are APUs too.

Windows 8 is bad for desktops. Microsoft tried to force a tablet gui on a desktop computer and failed. Since you already have a monitor, it probably isn’t a touch one. So might as well go for 7 (the new xp). You could try linux as mentioned above, but (as a linux user myself) I wouldn’t recommend it unless you like tinkering with you stuff.

Before buying anything, I like looking at reviews on newegg, even if I buy elsewhere.

That was true 10 years ago, but not now. In fact NVidia has had WORSE drivers recently.

That was true 10 years ago, but not now. In fact NVidia has had WORSE drivers recently.[/quote]

I’m using Ubuntu on my desktop, and the nVidia graphic drivers support for linux (at least for Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros) is much, much better than the AMD/ATI ones.

Regarding Linux: I think Ubuntu (or Linux mint) are worth a try, even if you are a windows/non tinkerer user. I was no power user, and I’m happy with my desktop as it is now. In the end, if you’re interested, you may change and tweak things around, but you don’t need to.

One last thing: Whatever the linux flavour you choose, you may try installing the most recent LTS (long-term support) version. Ubuntu, for example, rolls out a new OS version every 6 months (April and October), and the support for those versions is usually short-term, unless you pick an LTS version, which has longer-term support and is mainly focused on stability and reliability. I’m now using Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (13.04, non-LTS) and I’m very happy, but your needs may vary.

ubuntu.com/desktop

Hi Irishmoe,

What is your budget?

• CPU: From Intel, don’t bother with i5 or i7. You don’t need such high end models. i3 will do well enough ! If you don’t want to spend that amount of money for i3, I strongly suggest to choose AMD then with a lower end model.

• RAM: Something with more than 2GB will be good too. (4GB will be more comfortable tho but no need for more)

• Hard drive: SSD will indeed boost up your experience, but still quite expansive and if you need large space, you will have to buy a regular harddrive. However for 5000NT you can have a powerful 256GB already. (OCZ Vector for example). All my computers are equipped with 60GB or so (I don’t need too big hard drive, I have a NAS after with large space)

• Graphic card: Well, if you don’t plan to play game, the integrated graphic chips will be enough. But if you plan to do some game / graphic design, you will have to consider one AMD or Nvidia.

• Operating System: I can only recommend GNU/Linux system as well. Fast, cutting edge technology, no viruses, free, fancy, … Ubuntu will indeed be one of the easiest one. Definitly worth a try (On a USB key to try first for example). And it is damn easy to use (My parents and grandparents are both using Ubuntu haha)

How about buying a small computer in this kind of size:

Hope it helps

Thanks for the info lads. I will def go for a system with no OS when purchasing and give linux a whirl. AMD seems to be the general consensus so I will probably go with that.
My budget is about 12000 but less is better

They had a Genuine pc at 3C for $10,388. Certainly not the best, but you have a very limited budget. It came with a Core i3-3220 (3.3GHz), 1TB HD, 4G DDR3 RAM, and a DVD writer. OS not included. You definitely don’t need anything more than an i3. I really wouldn’t consider AMD for your CPU unless you absolutely need to. They are just too far behind Intel at the moment. If you need a GPU, I have heard good things about the AMD HD 7770. Depending on the company and cooling, I think they are around $3500-4000 or the 7750 for around $2500. That’s around $12,888 if you choose the 7750. You could save some money if you build it yourself. :2cents:An SSD would be fantastic, but it would put you over your budget.

But why not AMD when it is cheaper and as I have found out that if going for the i3 equivalent say an fx 6130 then it’s as good as the intel

[quote=“dudumomo”]

How about buying a small computer in this kind of size:

Hope it helps[/quote]

What is that?

It’s a small size computer. Usually fanless.
(The one I use on the pic is the Intel NUC, but there are quite a lot different brands.)

Concerning AMD vs Intel.
Try to find an intel i3, very good model for the price I believe. But if it is too expansive, then, only look for AMD.
(The lower end model from intel are not worthy in my opinion…)

But you better directly check in shops to have a better idea what to buy.

What about this? I know it’s an A4 which is quite low on the AMD scale but 8888!!
http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DSAA2P-A77749138&SR_NO=DSAA2P&ROWNO=13

Or this

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DSAA2P-A74572997&SR_NO=DSAA2S&ROWNO=8

I was looking at DIY stuff but if I can get a system that does the same then I’ll just buy that.

No, it isn’t. From what you’ve told us, you don’t need a 6 core cpu. Even at a higher clock speed for the 6130, the i3 is much stronger core per core because of the way it utilizes those cores. The AMD Bulldozer series was a complete flop compared to Intel’s Ivy Bridge microarchitecture. The 6130 also uses a lot more power: 125 Watts vs 55 Watts. Also, the i3 has HD 2500 integrated graphics. The 6130 has none. If you don’t want to buy a gpu, then the i3 is the clear winner.

[quote=“irishmoe”]What about this? I know it’s an A4 which is quite low on the AMD scale but 8888!!
http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DSAA2P-A77749138&SR_NO=DSAA2P&ROWNO=13

Or this

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DSAA2P-A74572997&SR_NO=DSAA2S&ROWNO=8

I was looking at DIY stuff but if I can get a system that does the same then I’ll just buy that.[/quote]
Honestly, the first system isn’t very good. The CPU is crap, the HD is too small, and the graphics are terrible.:thumbsdown:

The second system: For what you want to use it for, you don’t need a 4 core CPU. The HD is too small, and it uses integrated graphics. It’s also more expensive than the system I showed you.

The one I showed you: A good CPU for your needs, a 1 TB HD, and a discrete graphics card. What’s the problem? :laughing:

I was on XP, but went for Win 7 on my upgrade two months ago, and it’s excellent.
I’m in Chunghe, and can show you an excellent small shop near NanShiJiao MRT where the guy will give you a good deal for your price.
You can walk around Pateh Road computer market and get a decent system for 10k,
500GB HD is all you need
PM me if you need more info.

There’s no way I could survive with only 500GB. It’s funny how many people realize that fact a year or two after buying their pc. It’s really amazing how fast it fills up. I don’t think he should limit himself if he doesn’t have to.

And to think all i use is a Asus 11 inch netbook hooked up to a 19 inch monitor and wireless mouse and external keyboard. The thing only has 255g of hdd but iv only used less then half of it.

But i will say that AMD on this netbook doesnt seem as good as Intel chips iv used before (celeron).

But im not a gamer. I store little on my pc and i just use it for net access.

Its only win 7 32bit.

But its all i need. And prior to this i used an Asus netbook with even lower capabilities and prior to that a toshiba notebook with middle of the road capabilities too.

Basically with a computer, buy what you NEED, because its all going to be obsolete in 2 years max.

dp

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“irishmoe”]What about this? I know it’s an A4 which is quite low on the AMD scale but 8888!!

Or this

I was looking at DIY stuff but if I can get a system that does the same then I’ll just buy that.[/quote]
Honestly, the first system isn’t very good. The CPU is crap, the HD is too small, and the graphics are terrible.:thumbsdown:

The second system: For what you want to use it for, you don’t need a 4 core CPU. The HD is too small, and it uses integrated graphics. It’s also more expensive than the system I showed you.

The one I showed you: A good CPU for your needs, a 1 TB HD, and a discrete graphics card. What’s the problem? :laughing:[/quote]

Nothing at all wrong with the system you showed me. I am just looking online for ideas. Thanks for the schooling :wink: