Terminal One revamp at Taoyuan

What do you think? Looks good ? Will it be a job well done or a cock up?

Do you like the redesign?

I fly China Airlines and I always find it confusing that they split CAL flights into two terminals. Would’ve been better if along with this revamp they moved all CAL flights to a single terminal and EVA could keep the other one as its major hub.

Thats a pertty doggone good idea if you asked me .

T1 CA … T2 EVA … T3 (when build) all others …

I dunno, I wouldn’t mind it if they embraced the retro 60’s feel. That said, the new design is appropriately Orwellian in its feel, just right for an airport.

10 years or so late…better late than never though.

Where are the restaurants…important question! It should be easier to switch between 1 and 2 (I heard three is going to be built in the middle, shopping complex etc.).
Having the MRT and HSR connection will be good.

Is it going to have shops and places to eat? You know, like every other airport?

Are they expecting a huge influx of traffic? I fly home a couple times a year, and my impression is that the place is generally deserted. I don’t typically fly on major holidays, but still, I seldom see more than a couple planes at the terminal boarding at the same time.

I also wonder about that big hotel and shopping center that is almost completed. Who’s gonna shop/stay there? Flight attendants?

2008 stats. TPE ranked 11th in cargo worldwide and 19th in passenger numbers (LA was 28th). Yes they expect traffic to increase and thats why Terminal 1 needed a major overhaul and there are plans for Terminal 3.

emailbrain.com/eb_members/12 … Top_50.pdf

[quote=“tommy525”]2008 stats. TPE ranked 11th in cargo worldwide and 19th in passenger numbers (LA was 28th). Yes they expect traffic to increase and thats why Terminal 1 needed a major overhaul and there are plans for Terminal 3.

emailbrain.com/eb_members/12 … Top_50.pdf[/quote]
Sorry, but I don’t buy the stats. I believe my eyes. Have you ever been to LAX? Can you even compare the traffic? Come on. If I wasn’t in the middle of writing a work book for one of my accounts, I’d do a little more research, but I can’t believe in terms of either passengers carried, or take-offs and landings, that TPE can come close to LAX.

[quote=“CraigTPE”][quote=“tommy525”]2008 stats. TPE ranked 11th in cargo worldwide and 19th in passenger numbers (LA was 28th). Yes they expect traffic to increase and thats why Terminal 1 needed a major overhaul and there are plans for Terminal 3.

Sorry, but I don’t buy the stats. I believe my eyes. Have you ever been to LAX? Can you even compare the traffic? Come on. If I wasn’t in the middle of writing a work book for one of my accounts, I’d do a little more research, but I can’t believe in terms of either passengers carried, or take-offs and landings, that TPE can come close to LAX.[/quote]

I was surprised by that one too myself. Do some research, put it on here. But the authorities obviously have been seeing a trend upwards in numbers. First there was just Terminal 1, now theres 1 and 2 . So the business is there otherwise they wouldnt make the massive investment.

[quote=“tommy525”]2008 stats. TPE ranked 11th in cargo worldwide and 19th in passenger numbers (LA was 28th). Yes they expect traffic to increase and thats why Terminal 1 needed a major overhaul and there are plans for Terminal 3.

I was pretty surprised by those stats too, so I looked and that’s not quite what the PDF says:

[ul]World ranking for total passengers: Taipei’s not in the top 50.
World ranking for total cargo in tons: Taipei’s #15; Memphis (!) is #1, which I guess has something to do with a DHL or UPS distribution center.
Taipei isn’t in the top 50 for “Total Movements”, which sounds toilet-related but probably isn’t.
Taipei is #19 for international passengers, which makes sense given what a high percentage of travellers through that airport (all?) are going overseas.
And #11 for international freight.[/ul]

good thing i put in the link, devils in the details. I admit i probably didnt look carefully enough what category that was.

At any rate TPE is far behind HKG and behind Seoul’s new airport too. But obviously they project increasing numbers of air travellers so a terminal revamp makes sense on 1 (it is very old now) and maybe another terminal might make sense (maybe not just yet).

Plus it’s probably got something to do with China’s spanking new airport in Beijing. After all, if the mainlanders can build a world-class airport then the Taiwanese can too, right?

Oh, a renovation is definitely needed - that airport is such a drag to spend any time in, and while I’m not a huge fan of malls, they’re still better places to hang around than the current version of Taoyuan airport. Bring on the mall, I say.

Or at least a food court that’s got more available than Burger King and third-string Chinese crap.

I dont think the Taiwanese care bout that. Beijing airport handles much much more traffic. Taiwan may not even need a 3rd terminal at this stage. But 1 needs a total makeover. I mean its been the same since opening in what 1979?

Well, Taiwan did just lose its #1 phallic symbol to some godforsaken place like Dubai.

All jokes aside, the terminals are pretty horrid and disconnected. Would’ve been better if there were air trams between terminals and a better shopping mall other than the duty free shops inside the secure areas selling things that no one can afford.

[quote=“catfish13”]Well, Taiwan did just lose its #1 phallic symbol to some godforsaken place like Dubai.

All jokes aside, the terminals are pretty horrid and disconnected. Would’ve been better if there were air trams between terminals and a better shopping mall other than the duty free shops inside the secure areas selling things that no one can afford.[/quote]

Yes I hear you, must be only the Japanese are buying anything in those shops? But isnt there a link (sort of like the muzha line) between the two terminals already?

Taipei101 is cool and all that but really unneeded. Shouldve only let it go to 50 floors.

And they need better food places too. Not a whole lot to eat at Term 2. I havent been in Term 1 in ages so I dont know whats up there. The second floor cafe right before departure immigration back in the day was ok. And they had a mini snackbar at the arrivals just before the buses that served decent beef and rice.

I didn’t notice signs pointing to a tram at the arrival plaza in terminal 2, since I never had to go to terminal 1 after baggage claim. I guess it’s less of a problem since you aren’t asked to take your checked baggage out for additional security screening before making it to your connecting flight.

I have been through the airport 20-30 times in the last year…still don’t know where to get the tram between the two terminals!
There’s an underground walkway…I think that might connect somehow too.