Terminal One revamp at Taoyuan

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I have been through the airport 20-30 times in the last year…still don’t know where to get the tram between the two terminals!
There’s an underground walkway…I think that might connect somehow too.[/quote]

Its there, you have to look for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=dlNoUQKSihA

govt expects traffic to increase to over 50 million passengers from current 32
dutyfreemagazine.ca/Asiaenew … ator4.html

I love the new design. The little saddle on the top of the roof gives it a distinctive southern style much like the old houses you still see around.

But it does look a lot like this monastery in Miaoli:

Last time I flew out of Terminal 1 I did a quick look around and found that the sum total of English printed material available to the thousands of international passengers who depart from that airport weekly was a sum total of 4 magazines and 3 second rate novels. An international terminal without a half passable English bookstore or at least a comprehensive English section in a local language bookstore is a farce no matter where in the world it is. Of course the overpriced low quality grease fried slop with rice/noodles or Burger King food “options” at Terminal 1 are a disgrace.

Yeah, I couldn’t find the frickin economist last time. :raspberry:

Another good reason to go with e-books, I download a couple before boarding any flight.

As for the food, do you think a terminal revamp is going to include any better quality/less greasy food? I kinda thought greasy was the local favorite.

E-books on planes: my last flight I had the whole row looking daggers at me because I was using my iPhone for reading and games. Yes, it was on Airplane mode, so I knew it was OK, but they didn’t.

It is somewhat wrong that when I fly through Bangkok I can get a bunch of books that I’ve been wanting to buy, but in Taipei I’m stuck with Time or Newsweek.

The Taipei terminal used to have a decent sandwich place, but that chain - I forget the name - seems to have disappeared from Taipei. Too bad; it was nice to have sandwiches that were a step up from Subway. I guess they weren’t greasy enough.

Goodness, what 3rd world airline were you flying? People have been using smart phones in “airplane mode” in-flight for YEARS!

Goodness, what 3rd world airline were you flying? People have been using smart phones in “airplane mode” in-flight for YEARS![/quote]

China Airlines told me to put away my iPhone on flight mode when I flew with them in August last year, and I flew BUSINESS CLASS then!

CAL even had an open broadcast and little fine prints in their in-flight magazine stating how cell phones were prohibited on the entire flight when if flight mode was an available option and turned on. Apparently Taiwan’s equivalent of FAA doesn’t think it’s safe because flight mode is not regulated by them, even when every other country pretty much thinks otherwise.

Same with Taiwan’s electronics imports. New Apple computers need to pass EMC first before they’re allowed to go on sale in the country, while the US, EU and the rest of the world okay’ed it and did not ask for additional testing after the FCC put their stamp of approval on it. I guess the Taiwanese people are genetically more vulnerable to electromagnetic forces than the rest of the world.