Terrorist attack on Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya

Some Islamic terrorist group in India called the Indian Mujahideen attacked the UNESCO world heritage site. Mahabodhi temple was first built by Asoka, current building built in the 5th or 6th century, reconstructed in the 9th century when the top of the temple was in need to repairs. The temple is built next to the Bodhi Tree where Buddha achieved enlightenment.

Both Hindus and Buddhists claims the site as their holy site.

The Indian Mujahideen said on Tweeter that they set the bombs that injured two monks. They claim to make another attack on Mumbai in 7 days, saying stop us if you can.

Why did they have to choose a Buddhist target? What did Buddhists ever do to Muslims, well except the Buddhist v.s. Muslim violence in Myanmar.

Heard about that the other day. Terrible. I lived for about 5 months about a 10 min walk from the temple in 2001/2.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Muslim extremists reserve a special hate for Buddhists. Sure they hate the “crusaders,” but if they have a chance to do damage important Buddhists sites or hurt a couple of Buddhists, they would jump on it.

ah… peace and serenity at last…

When I first heard about it, before any responsibility was claimed, my immediate thought was Shiv Sena or one of the other Hindu extremist groups. There’s long been dispute over that temple between right wing Hindus and the Buddhists there.

my thought as well… so the IM involvement confounds me… wth terrorists, that doesn’t even make sense using your logic…

I remember being in Bodhgaya in December 2001 when Pakistani militants attacked the parliament in Delhi and war looked a possibility, and people were saying that Bodhgaya would be the safest place to avoid it because it is one of the only places in India of absolutely no interest to Islamic militants.

those people forgot how the Muslim dynasties systematically destroyed Buddhism in India.

Islamic fundamentalists! What else can be expected of Allah’s finest?

How do we know the perpetrators were who they claim to be?
Is it possible that a militant branch of Hindus, for example, would think it a smart idea to hide behind an Islamic name?
:ponder:

How do we know the perpetrators were who they claim to be?
Is it possible that a militant branch of Hindus, for example, would think it a smart idea to hide behind an Islamic name?
:ponder:[/quote]

I did a bit of reading and it certainly appears that it’s not the first time that this particular group have set off bombs and such in India. In fact, they were behind the 2010 attack on Jama Masjid in Delhi where they opened fire on a tourist bus carrying a Taiwanese TV crew, injuring 2 of them. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Jama_Masjid_attack

Extremists are extremists, doesn’t matter what religion they hide behind. None of them represent the vast majority of followers of every religion who want nothing more than to live in peace.