Tesco in Taichung

Sorry if this is WTLW.
There’s a new Tesco opening soon on Chinghai Rd, Sec. 2, near the intersection with Henan Rd. Not sure of the opening date yet, but they’re just putting the finishing touches on the building now.
I do hope they will have the selection that the Taoyuan store has :yum:

Excellent news. I love Tesco. Thanks for that Hsiadogah.

Is TESCO good in Taiwan? I used to live there when I lived in the UK. I’m just wondering whether they sell better/more varied stuff than the average Geant. Is it worth a look?

Yes. Better than Geant, Carrefour and RT-Mart

Only if you are into decent jams, lincolnshire sausages, good draught beer, real cheese, chicken gravy and the like.

For instant noodles, you may go to Geant as well.

[quote=“Mr He”]
Only if you are into decent jams, lincolnshire sausages, good draught beer, real cheese, chicken gravy and the like.[/quote]Stop that right now you fiend! I’m slobbering all over my keyboard here! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hsiadogah”][quote=“Mr He”]
Only if you are into decent jams, lincolnshire sausages, good draught beer, real cheese, chicken gravy and the like.[/quote]Stop that right now you fiend! I’m slobbering all over my keyboard here! :p[/quote]

OK, I promise that I will not mention lemon curd, christmas puddings, the bagels, the good toast and all the other things you will not need. :sunglasses:

Actually, my suggestion to you is that you stick with Geant.

I’m there!!

Tesco in Taipei USED to be good, up until about 2 months ago when they suddenly decided to stop selling loads of British stuff. Last time I went there were no baked beans, no HP sauce anymore, the pork and beef cuts were awful, no more marmite. Have to go to Jasons and pay through the nose again! :raspberry:

This is disappointing how?

The Zhongli store was well stocked 2 weeks ago. I go to costco nowadays as cheaper, but still pop in for the draught beer.

i just saw the no9tes about tesco in taiwan… i work for tesco here so it’s interesting to see the feedback about it!!
please let me know if there are some things we can do better… i’ll see what i can do.

Tesco’s is the coolest supermarket I’ve ever been to in UK. The one I went to in Telford has these gizmos attached to the trolley which you use to beep your items in as you go along. At the cashier you just hand voer the gizmo and pay the amount displayed. I’d not been back to the UK for five years so I felt like a country bumpkin marvelling at lifts as I went round beeping things into my trolley.
Somehow I doubt such a system would work in Taiwan.

Does anyone know when the Tai/chung branch will open?

Jamesp, I’ll be sending you my shopping list as soon as I know what’s lacking! What I miss most about supermarkets in UK is the freshly bagged salads. They’re great for throwing together a healthy lunch in a hurry.

[quote=“jamesp”]
please let me know if there are some things we can do better… I’ll see what I can do.[/quote]We’ve yet to see how our local Tesco will do on this score, but all the local supermarkets are on my blacklist for allowing pets in the stores. It shouldn’t be hard for Tesco to do better. Keep the dogs out and you have my business.

? In yangmei you never see a pet inside.

What tesco could do better… i would say that the number of jams has shrinked a bit, but perhaps they don’t sell well. Rotate the varieties a bit, when you get stuff in from UK.

Bring the bagels back in the Zhongli store.

Perhaps save me from those trips to Neihu, andstart selling those big cheddar blocks in red plastic they have in costco, or something similar brought in from the UK.

Additionally, the draught beer has risen in price, so it’s nearly as expensive as Boddington. Is there a way to rvisit the pricing on this item? when they were below NT$50 a can, I would often buy everything on the shelves, but at the current pricing, I often end up with boddington instead.

It’s still there.You got to go to the frozen food section and they have two large overhanging Banners - TESCO - They have put all their Tesco products in one area so it is easy to find.

The baked Beans, The Mustard, sauces, e.t.c. The Tesco baked beans at NT29/ a can are great!!! Their canned soups are also good. Their Pastas are really good. The texture and taste is really QQ as the locals say :laughing:
Next time you go their ,sign in at the counter and they will send you their DM a few days before the offers. It is very convenient.

There is something you can suggest to your bakery. Firstly, they make great Burger buns. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

What we need now is Hot Dog Rolls.I got to go all the way to Tien Mu from Neihu to get decent Hot dog rolls!!! Please do a survey(Internal) Most Dogs are Packed in 4s and 8s ,so don’t make 10 rolls/ pack!!!
There is a theory on that, but I am really not interested to go into it. I just want decent Hot Dog Rolls!!!

None of the Local bakeries make them. So work on it please.

Is the store actually open yet? I can’t wait to go check it out!

I passed by a few days ago and they were still doing the interior. Structure itself is finished, sign lit up. I guess another week or two tops.
BTW, they made a huge parking lot, very rare for businesses in the city of double-parking.

I drove over there last week to find out for myself when it’s going to open. There were no posters or signs so I asked some workers outside the building and they told me probably some time in November.

Florida Bakery has hot dog buns. They are a bit oversized and sold in two packs, but they work pretty well.