TESCO sausages--RIP

What happened to TESCO’s sausages? They used to have many different types. The other day I bought one order of “Cumberland” and “Lincolnshire” each. Instead of having little black dots in them, they were totally tasteless blobs and had a “fake oil” smell when cooking. It smellled nasty. My cat won’t even touch the leftovers. THAT’S scary!

Is it that the “real” sausages wouldn’t sell very well because most locals prefer food with little or no flavour?

This was in Tainan. Has anyone else experienced this?

coolingtower -
I’ve had similar experiences with the TESCO sausages. I stopped buying them when my wife went on a long spiel about some of them being made with “meat-like” meat. Not sure what she meant but they were bad tasteing. Some labels are RED and some are BLUE. I think thats one of the tip-offs.

I suggest you check out one of the traditional markets and look for a sausage booth. Ask around till you find one that has a good reputation. I have found a few that make pretty good sausages and get them when I’m jonesing for the stuff. Some even do a good job with various herbs and real black pepper in their mix.

Good luck - Enjoy Tainan.

They are made of “re-assembled” meat (chongzu, sorry I don’t know the correct Emglish term for that). at least that’s what it says on the label.

It doesnt really make sense for sausages though, does it?

Tesco “food” in general sucks. The fruits and vegetables are generally not fresh. The bread is absymal, like chewing on stale plastic (Carrefour and Geant have much better bread). I haven’t tried their meats. Traditional markets are better for buying meat, anyway.

Tesco’s curry sauces still rock. A million times better than those ubiquitous dry bricks from Japan which vaguely resemble something similar to curry but isn’t.

My general complaint with Tesco is that there is very little British food stocked.( Taipei City Branch)
Anybody got there email address ?
We could email en-mass asking for Steak and Kidney, and Pork Pies for example.

They used to be very good - in 2000, that is.

I still buy some foodthuffs there, but since their NT$50 draught beer dissappeared, I have not gone there so often.

I believe Tesco’s meat is Grade 1, compared to Grade 2 at Costco. It’s also cheaper than at Costco. My main gripe, though, is that most of it is previously frozen.

Not for veggie ol’ me, of course - it’s all for those spoilt dogs of mine! :unamused:

Nathan, who used to be the chef at Chocolate & Love, is now selling his own British bangers. A percentage of the profits goes to AnimalsTaiwan. Who wants some? :slight_smile:

Stray Dog, please give me more information on the person called Nathan and how I may be able to buy his “British bangers”. Your post made me hungry.

I’ve called him and told him to come and post on here. Should respond tomorrow. We’re looking for a regular outlet.

His Bangers ‘n’ Mash were really popular at C & L.

Sorry, but what is C & L? Couldn’t find anything with Google.

Sorry about that–I found it above: Chocolate and Love. :blush:

British Bangers…made with top quality pork and fresh hearbs, to a traditional English recipe, no artifcial additives or preservatives. 20% of all profits go to Animals Taiwan. Will send a post within the next couple of days with a central Taipei outlet where you will be able to purchase the sausages.

Excellent news, Yangnaifen!

We just bought the “new” Tesco sausages at the weekend and my wife actually felt ill for the rest of the night after eating one. I didn’t feel ill, but the taste was completely different to what it used to be (and not in a good way).

Yangnaifen, I think you could have found a nice little gap in the market here. Good luck.

Ok great news. as from this weekend our Traditional Gourmet English Sausages will be on sale at Grandma Nitti’s restaurant in Shida. These sausages are made from top quality ingredients and a percentage of all profits are donated to Animals Taiwan.

[quote=“yangnaifen”]Ok great news. as from this weekend our Traditional Gourmet English Sausages will be on sale at Grandma Nitti’s restaurant in Shi-Da. These sausages are made from top quality ingredients and a percentage of all profits are donated to Animals Taiwan.[/quote]$?/kg?

I don’t care what they cost. But by “available” do you mean on the menu or frozen/chilled to bake at home in a rich onion and beer gravy with creamed potatoes?

The latter. :slight_smile:

It definitely needed saying twice. Great!