Tesla P85D

Not the 3 but the now more desired Y

Tesla are not well put together
I do like the looks though

Yeah sounds like if I hadnā€™t already gotten the TT it would have been smarter to march into the future with an all electric car Especially a Tesla with its awesome tech and numbers of charge stations And what really appeals to me the performance rivaling or exceeding the TT and even better the savings of possibly 10 plus k dollars American in the purchase and further savings down the road in energy costs and upkeep cost projections

I went backwards by going all gas instead of into the future with all electric seemingly the next step over hybrid

But but the TT is brilliantly made and because itā€™s an Audi icon car like itā€™s big brother the R8 made less money for audi because of the cost of its materials and construction

It has the best materials used the best leather audi come with and the whole seat is leather not just the surface that touches your body

The fit and finish is superb and the balance of the car is near perfect

You can feel the tail coming around in tight corners and feel the characteristics of a pleasurable drivers car every time you drive it

You have some exclusivity too as they had sold less and less of the TT in the 25 years since the first one came out

The latest and last the mark 3 version I have is the epitome of the TT in esthetics and exclusivity

The TT has been severely limited in its last years to only ten thousand made a year maybe less than 15000 for all models compared to 500 thousand Q5 Heck Ferrari only make about 7000 cars a year

Less than 1000 sold in the whole USA last year Iā€™m told

I had to wait till my dealer had an allocation and wait ten months for it to arrive

And at the time of sale there were only a handful of TT available in the entire USA still unsold and only one other exactly like mine and that car was in miami.

The dealer had a locater he showed me of all audi available in dealers in the USA still unsold that day

Now what does that mean though?
Feeling slightly special
Wife calls me today and says excitedly she saw another TT in our neighborhood a new one like ours and if was red and she and the lady driving that one looked at each other as they drove past each other

We know there is a grey TTRS also seems new a few streets down from us as well

When we stopped at a market in Berkeley a month or so ago we parked next to a blue one and the young couple came out and we had a little chit chat

So thatā€™s all pretty cool

Canā€™t imagine a Tesla 3 owner observing and reporting on yet another 3 he saw on the road one of about 30 he saw in the last five mins
And striking up a conversation parking next to another 3 haha

Wifey previously was oblivious to cars when she drove the Prius and now sheā€™s a car enthusiast more so than me

She sees porches around and other fancy cars and sometimes races them on the freeways
I Pooh Pooh such behavior of course

Such and such passed me and then I passed them and then they zoomed past me and then I was afraid of the cops and I backed down etc

Admittedly itā€™s a fine car and for the money pushed past itā€™s weight I mean itā€™s really not THAT expensive

I mean itā€™s no Ferrari or lambo or Aston canā€™t be in the same sentence as one of those even

But it gets noticed !

A minor celebrity

Still if she wasnā€™t pushing for the TT I would most likely have leased a crosstrek

But had I studied things better and the rebates were available and Tesla had dropped its prices like it just did I may have went for a Tesla dual motor (we do need one all wheel drive for the snow )

I would have given the TT a miss itā€™s only a two seater and I still fear maintenance costs in the long run for any German premium brand

I donā€™t mind being near invisible in a 3 versus being somewhat noticed in a new TT

I noticed a BUNCH of Teslas on the street. How do people afford these expensive cars?

Actually almost all Tesla I see on the street are white, is that the only color they offer?

They seem to come in only white ,grey , black and blue . Asians tend to like white and you are in Asia

Case in point both of my cars are white and if I got a Tesla itā€™s probably going to be white too

We have a ton of white ones here too. I think maybe white has no surcharge but that may have changed

I see a lot of white but also blue and grey here too

I was hoping for some flame jobs or color shifting paintsā€¦ I think I seen a few cars with color shift paint jobs hereā€¦

1 Like

Tesla used to be very expensive like around 100k for the S and up to 130k for the X. So they were bought by docs and other high earning professionals so to those people white is about as flashy as they want them

Now Tesla is around 50 k with the 3 and the Y but still generally upwardly mobile professionals buy them and white is again as flashy as they go

When it gets down to the promised 25k or so for the Tesla ultra cheap maybe some artists and others may go for some flash

Tommyā€™s will probably be white because black is a bitch to keep clean grey is unsafe as it looks like the color of the road and blue is not bad but would be second choice

I wanted the orange they had before for my TT
Or yellow but both of those colors were not available

Havenā€™t seen a yellow or orange Tesla Think Iā€™ve seen a few in red

Actually I wonder if there are scrapped EVā€™s out there where I can use its motor.

I seen someone augment their mini mills with electric scooter motors and I just figure if I can do the same with my milling machine using scrapped EV motors, maybe it could have some insane torqueā€¦

Model S started out at $57k 10 years ago.

1 Like

Yes for a single motor base model with like 100 mile range that basically nobody wanted

They tease you with a low price but they only mainly made the expensive ones

You had to wait for a plain Jane

Want 300 mile dual motor ? Awesome add 30k
:smiley_cat:

But I didnā€™t pay any attention then as I was rolling around in my Acura Rsx which was then bout 10 years old and rolling good

Iā€™ve always been impressed by Tesla and maybe in a couple years I might look at a 3 in detail

I was thinking of the Model S 60, which was a 200+ mile car at $57k. I forgot there was even a 40 version at 130ish(?) mile range; that thing was $50k, so even cheaper.

When the P85 came out, it was still a $77k car (so effectively $70k with tax credit).

1 Like

You sound like you know what you are talking about so Iā€™m not going to challenge you :smiley_cat::smiley_cat:

I am kinda intrigued about the 3 since musk lowered the price and the credit may come to play so thatā€™s like another 7500 federal and 4500 state I think
So thatā€™s pretty slick

But too late for me the TT is here

And wifey for some reason is not a 3 fan. Probably because she never drove one

She likes fast cars so once she drives a high performance 3 that thing is like almost 3 seconds to 60 fast and can blow just about any car away

But then thatā€™s too fast for her I think
She probably thinks itā€™s not too fast

My buddy had a super early Model S, so I looked into them at the time. Too pricey for me.

1 Like

I heard the early buyers get free supercharger charging for life for that car
Not sure if they have to be the original owner

Just for the heck of it I thought I would see what colors were the teslas I would see today and strangely enough white wasnā€™t the most prevalent Most of the ones I saw today were black followed by white and I only saw one grey and no blues but I saw a red one. Isnā€™t that weird I guess maybe you see what you want to see

Round two of spot the Tesla tonight strangely enough, I didnā€™t see a single black one I saw only whites and one gray one and a couple of blue ones

Yes I must be bored

Just for the heck of it, I decided to pay attention to Tesla cars as I go about my business today and OMG there are so many Tesla cars in San Francisco man thereā€™s teslas in front Teslas behind me teslas on either side of me sometimes I was literally swarmed by Teslas. Yeah, mostly model threes followed by model Y an occasional model S and I didnā€™t see any model X today so the cheaper ones are the ones that are selling and if Tesla comes up with a $25,000 car oh my goodness probably 90% of all the new cars are going to be Teslas. .

Seems if thereā€™s a problem itā€™s a big one with a Tesla

Wellā€¦ that was the result of damage to a rental car that was unaddressed over a long period of time. Hard to say thatā€™s any worse on Tesla vs any other expensive car.

1 Like

Having rented a eTron Audi for the last couple days and experiencing what itā€™s like to be an EV owner. I tell you the experience has some major flaws.

EV chargers are hard to find and very frequently either broken or occupied the ones at Stonestown. For example thereā€™s six of them last night and two of them are broken and the others occupied and you had to sign up on an app to access it.

Except for electrify America, which doesnā€™t require signing up

Another problem is that the so-called fast chargers are often not that fast and require up to two hours to give you a full charge

Plus, they may be quite far away from someplace convenient for you to have a sit down for an hour or two

Also, the Chargers themselves the nozzles are extremely heavy and the dodo that designed them shouldā€™ve added an extra foot or two to the cord because they are such a tight fit. You have to park absolutely perfectly, and then you have to sprain your hand to fit the nozzle into the slot

Cost wise it cost about five dollars for me to run my Prius for 50 miles and double that for the TT

They Etron runs about $10 for 50 miles or about the same as the TT but it is much larger so it should actually compare against the Q7 and the Q7 takes about 20% more energy cost to run than the Etron so there is a slight savings there.

But the Q7 can go 500 miles on a full tank but the Etron can really only do around 210 miles on a full charge

So there is the frequent need to charge up on the etron coupled with the fact that chargers are hard to find and could be broken or occupied. Itā€™s a sorry situation especially having to wait up to two hours for a full charge in a possibly inconvenient location

Like the other day in Carmel, we had to wait two hours for the charge and had to Uber to our restaurant for dinner and Uber back

So thatā€™s where Tesla has a big advantage because Tesla superchargers are much more common and they usually have about 10 or 20 machines available so the chances of not finding a machine when you need is much lower

So all in all an electric car only makes sense really if you have a home charger, I think this is a must and if you typically use the car for less than 200 miles a day you can go out there and do your thing and get back and plug in overnight and have a fully charged car for the new day

And then have a second car for your runs long distance, for your trips out of town and things like that

So as a second car, it can make sense because the vast majority of our day journeys donā€™t exceed 200 miles

Superchargers are definitely a win for Tesla

Havenā€™t done a lot of public charging as yet but have noticed a couple cool things at the local charger station

1. People are quite friendly and open to chatting about their cars and your car while you are parked next to each other for 30 mins to an hour or more

2. And there seems an unwritten etiquette if someone is waiting that you vacate the slot once you have 90 pct or so

Last night the guy in the Mach E and I were pretty much waiting for our chargers to reach 100 pct when a VW ID4 showed up and both of us on que decided to vacate our chargers right about the same time as we were both near full

There were only two chargers there