Tesla Powerwall in Taiwan?

Tesla Powerwall in Taiwan?
Is it available? Where? How much?
Or any similar stationary energy storage device?

Who knows what?

no idea but seen quite a few Tesla’s driving around

Power walls did not even took off in the US yet. Tesla cars production uses almost all power cells they can make. They use all the ‘scraps’ and even buy competitors cells to put into the power walls.
It will take a while until that will change.

Thanks
I got similar feedback as well

On the US webpage, the powerwall is quoted at 13400 USD + Supporting hardware 1100 USD, for a total of 14500 USD… shipping fees not included obviously.
Your final design and pricing will be based on your electrical panel, home energy usage, number of Powerwalls, and where you’d like your Powerwall installed. Typical installation cost ranges from $1,000 to $3,000. This does not include solar installation, electrical upgrades (if necessary), taxes, permit fees, or any retailer / connection charges that may apply.

On the UK webpage, it is 6200 + 1700 = £7,900.00 Total equipment and delivery cost
Your final design and pricing will be based on your electrical panel, home energy usage, number of Powerwalls, and where you’d like your Powerwall installed. Typical installation cost ranges from £950.00 to £2,800.00. This does not include solar installation, electrical upgrades (if necessary), taxes, permit fees, or any retailer / connection charges that may apply. This estimate includes a 20% value-added tax.

I tried France. 7000 + 740 = 7740 euros

Converting the US price makes 450000 NTD
Converting the UK price gives 316000 NTD
Converting the French price gives 270000 NTD

I have sent a request for a quote
Let’s wait and see

1 Like

A powerwall isn’t really complex or proprietary technology. I’d be surprised if there weren’t local alternatives.

I have a bunch of Ni-Fe cells from China (40x100Wh). Cost about US$2000 including importation hassles, IIRC. The main problem with these is that charge controllers literally don’t exist (at least, I can’t find one). I’m developing my own. You can theoretically just wire your solar panels right onto the cells - they’re very forgiving of overcharging - but it’s inefficient and will reduce the cell lifetime.

Great! Can I join your work?
Where? When? What? Who? How?

Where?
Developing and testing here in Taipei. I may need to crowdsource the production funding, so if you’re interested in pitching in I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

When?
Back end of 2019, if all goes to plan.

What?
It’ll combine MPPT function, charge control, charge balancing, and load protection. Ni-Fe cells are described as “not needing” charge balancing, and it’s true up to a point. But they gas off a lot when they’re overcharged, and it’s a pain to keep checking your cells and topping them up. Also, it shortens their lifetime from 50+ years to maybe 10-20 years.

My design is a hybrid configuration using a single LiFePO4 cell to selectively “dump” the energy from overcharging Ni-Fe cells.

The first product will be specifically for a 48V, 100Ah series stack (ie., 4kWh, 25A max charge current). I’m guessing it’ll retail around the US$200 mark.

Who?
Just me :slight_smile:

How?
Online direct sales.

1 Like

Excellent news !! I definitely want one

Let me see: 4 kWh for 200 USD, that means 6200 TWD, let’s say under 7000 TWD,
compared with the Tesla Powerwall 13,5 kWh… and the prices above. Pretty much on target

So some more questions and/or remarks
. Can I suggest you sell a ‘pre-run’ first? for testing in real conditions… a series of x pieces for customers willing to share feedback and without warranty
. I suggest the package and the design to be clean, neat and minimalist
. Please specify the input (grid, solar system, USB charging, another similar device in series or in parallel, what else?..), the output (12V, 110V, 220V) and the capacity for evolution (possibility to add a new input … something that doesn’t exist yet :)?
. The interface (the monitor, the screen, or whatever you call it) is important. Your customers (like me, hehehe) would love to know the power, the timing, the data, the details… (Have a look at device called ‘Kill A Watt EZ’ and all its functions, I love mine!)
. Double check the ventilation and the safety of that thing
. What will be the after sales service? the warranty?

I am looking forward to visiting your workshop and looking at the beast.
I am willing to pay first… Yeah, no kidding. Send me your bank account number.
I love it when people do things instead of moaning and blaming politicians

Not quite :slight_smile: $200 would be just the system controller. $2000 for the actual cells, as mentioned.

You could do 13kWh for about $6000 (cells + controller). And it should last a lot longer than a powerwall. Tesla’s cells are good, but Ni-Fe are pretty much indestructible. There are some original Edison-branded cells still going strong, 100 years after manufacture.

Sure … this a popular way of doing crowdfunding. Promise the early adopters a low-cost first article.

I agree. It’s going to go into one of those chunky aluminium boxes that are normally used for outdoor CATV repeaters and suchlike.

As for the spec … I’ll nail that down when I’ve ironed out the details :slight_smile: Sometimes things don’t work out quite as intended and you have to alter the spec to meet price or performance targets.

Hehehe

Thanks for the reply. That’s much closer to reality indeed
I confirm my interest and my order. Let’s say under 70000 TWD

Let me prospect some other sources for Ni-Fe batteries
I will share with you ASAP

As for the 13 kWh, 6600 USD, 200000 TWD looks good

@ finley

I just joined a FB group called… DiY Powerwall - easy
Good info there (at first sight)

@finley
What’s up? What’s new?
On FB, I ‘know’ someone in my neighborhood, who is coming for a financial quote at my place for a complete system, solar panels, system controller, converter/inverter, and after sales service
Keep me posted
Can I suggest a small blog or website like weebly to post your photos and news?