Tesol/Celta from course in Japan worthless in Taiwan?

Ok, so I have been working and living in Japan for 4 years. I’m interested in taking a break from Japan for a year or 2 tops to teach English in another Asian country. I taught in mainland China for about 4 years and I have always been interested in Taiwan.

I don’t currently possess a 4 year degree but I’m planning to take a Tesol or Celta course here in Japan this year.

Let’s say I want to teach a couple years in Taiwan. I know some of their Buxiban type schools only require a 2 year degree and a teaching certificate such as a Tesol/Tefl or Celta.

Would an English school like this in Taiwan recognize a Tesol or Celta I obtained here in Japan?

Dont have such a high expectation on this kind of forums.

Just my guess. If you have a right passport, bachelor’s degree from any country is ok. So, tesol from any country may be ok.

If you want to get a more certain answer, you can ask to ministry of labor or ministry of education of ROC.

Note: You need a transcript for more than 16 months of higher education in addition to tesol cert.

You’ll catch more flies with honey…

2 Likes

You’re lucky we have @tando otherwise you’d probably get zero help from anyone here with that attitude.

Best check the government agencies that are responsible for issuing work permits to answer your very specific questions.

I can’t think of any logical reason why a CELTA taken in Japan wouldn’t be accepted. A lot of people working here took their CELTAs in Thailand or Vietnam.

Is there any reason why you are worried Japan might be a special case?

As valuable as any online certificate bought in Bangkok, having hair on your head, being young, being white, and female all trump the CELTA