TESOLS.com?

Hello! Where should I start? My name is Kayla and I want to be an EFL teacher in Asia, starting with Taiwan. I had planned on getting my CELTA once I got my AS degree. This was recommended by users here on Forumosa and it sounded so fun to go abroad for my certification! But it does cost a lot of money and I would have to start saving up now, years in advance.

Last night my friend sent me a link to this Groupon: groupon.com/deals/tesols-com … palm-beach

I’m wary because it sounds too good to be true. Could this be legitimate? Is TESOLS.com a respected source of a TEFL certificate? Would it be better to stick with the CELTA? Or should I perhaps do this one now in case I can’t afford the CELTA when the time comes? Am I even allowed to get this type of certification twice from two different places? If I get it now, will this certification even still be valid in a couple of years? I’m just confused and really torn but if this Groupon thing is as good a deal as it seems, it could save me thousands of dollars. Any help or input would be much appreciated! You guys rocked my socks off last time with your answers. Thank you!!! :notworthy:

If you want a career, get the CELTA or an equivalent. The difference is a CELTA has observed teaching practice, with practical feedback on your teaching. The other stuff, you can google. On the CELTA, you’ll get a practical intro to teaching, but most importantly, it’ll open up further study and better jobs, a few years down the line. Short term, you’ll see no economic advantage, but long term, it’s an absolute pre-requisite, especially in the Middle East and Europe, if you want to develop a moveable career.

If you want to simply get a work permit, I don’t think it matters.

What may matter is having a bachelor’s degree rather than an AS degree. For a long-term career, I think it would really benefit the OP to finish a BS or BA first.

It says after completion you can teach in private and public schools. Problem is that for most places you are paid by a governing body that requires you to be a certified teacher. That means doing a proper course including pedagogy. No tesol course does that so it is a flat out lie. Some places might allow you to teach but most won’t.

It’s a very loose description of the truth. TESOL certification well get you jobs teaching, unsurprisingly, TESOL to adults in ‘government and private schools’. Schoolteaching qualifications wont get you far teaching in universities or FE.

But not really in Taiwan. School teaching to children in government schools requires school teaching quals, just like in your home country. For adult teaching, or children’s PLS, you need a BA (or an AA and a basic TESOL cert) and a sense of humour.

You said ‘Asia’ in your post. Your ability to teach around Asia will certainly be hampered by not having a BA.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]But not really in Taiwan. School teaching to children in government schools requires school teaching quals, just like in your home country. For adult teaching, or children’s PLS, you need a BA (or an AA and a basic TESOL cert) and a sense of humour.

You said ‘Asia’ in your post. Your ability to teach around Asia will certainly be hampered by not having a BA.[/quote]

Yes, I plan on getting my BA. I’ve done my research and I read that Taiwan will allow me to teach with an AS as long as I have TEFL certification as well. My plan is to teach in Taiwan for a few years and save up money to come back to the US and get my BA. Then I’ll have a four year degree, certification, experience, and hopefully be able to speak some Chinese. I’ll then be able to teach in most Asian countries. Is all this correct? Everything I’ve read has been online so I’m not sure if my facts are sound.

So from the rest of these replies I’m guessing that I should definitely stick with my plan to do the CELTA, is that right? I’m kind of happy, because it sounds a lot more interesting and fun than an online course! Thank you for helping me once more. You guys are great!

Yeah, go for it. Maybe you’ll quit EFL in a couple of years, but if you make a go of it, you’ll regret not having done it when you’re young because certain jobs will just not be open to you, however much experience you have.