Test your New Testament knowledge

Is this from the New Testament? :ponder:

I was gonna guess “the chief”, but he would have said “is” instead of the second “as”, he wouldn’t have said "friggin’, and he would have added a word between “to” and “crown.”

From the following link, I see that Luke has the most words in the Greek, and beats Acts by the score of 19,482 to 18,451.

catholic-resources.org/Bible/NT- … -Greek.htm :discodance:

After Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, what happened to him?
A. He fell down, his body burst open, and his intestines spilled out.
B. He climbed the Mount of Olives where he was struck by a single bolt of lightning.
C. He hanged himself.
D. He lived a long life, but was never again befriended by the followers of the lamb.

C. He hanged himself.
How many people in the Bible commit suicide? I honestly don’t know so I can not give you multiple choice.

Dragonbones,
Wasn’t aiming a comment at you. I meant it more as in “Check Fortigurn’s answers. They are very interesting sometimes.”

Hmmm . . . maybe. :ponder: Anyone else? I’ve read a few different accounts of this one.

The Sermon on the Mount took place ________________
A. on Mount Sinai
B. on a mountain according to Acts; plain according to Luke
C. on a mountain according to Luke; plain according to Acts
D. on a mountain according to Matthew; plain according to Luke

According to Revelations, only 144,000 _________ men will be saved.
A. righteous
B. condemned
C. virgin
D. amazed

[quote=“zender”]After Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, what happened to him?
A. He fell down, his body burst open, and his intestines spilled out.
B. He climbed the Mount of Olives where he was struck by a single bolt of lightning.
C. He hanged himself.
D. He lived a long life, but was never again befriended by the followers of the lamb.[/quote]

According to Matthew the answer is C; according to Acts, the answer is D.

Offhand, I can remember Samson (destroying a Philistine temple), both Saul and his armour bearer (subsequent to his defeat by the Philistines), Zimri (when he lost a bid for the Israelite throne), and Judas (subsequent to his betrayal of Christ).

[quote=“zender”]The Sermon on the Mount took place ________________
A. on Mount Sinai
B. on a mountain according to Acts; plain according to Luke
C. on a mountain according to Luke; plain according to Acts
D. on a mountain according to Matthew; plain according to Luke[/quote]

I was in Judea, so Mount Sinai is wrong. It isn’t recorded in Acts, so B and C are wrong. The answer you’re looking for is D, but there are exegetical and source critical issues at stake, so the answer isn’t that clear cut.

[quote]According to Revelations, only 144,000 _________ men will be saved.
A. righteous
B. condemned
C. virgin
D. amazed[/quote]

The question is wrong. The word you’re looking for is ‘virgin’ (C), but Revelation doesn’t say that only the 144,000 will be saved. The 144,000 are a symbolic representation of the redeemed; neither the number nor the reference to the tribes of Israel is literal.

[quote=“heimuoshu”]Dragonbones,
Wasn’t aiming a comment at you. I meant it more as in “Check Fortigurn’s answers. They are very interesting sometimes.”[/quote]

No prob! :slight_smile: I often enjoy reading Fortigurn’s stuff when I have time. I learn a lot that way.

Hey Fortigurn,

From King James Acts 1:18
Now this man (Judas) purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

I’m guessing King James mixed something up. Is there something in the Greek that tells us this was poorly translated, or is it that Acts was not as reliable as Matthew’s account (the hanging)? I’ve read where some wondered if he was hung and when he fell, his guts spilled out.

You are correct! I was looking for “virgin.” 144,000 virgin men.

[b]Rev 14 1-4
1And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Zion, and with him an hundred forty [and] four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.

2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:

3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred [and] forty [and] four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.

4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, [being] the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.[/b]

So is the key that they were the “firstfruits” and others (non virgins, women . . .) could follow later? :ponder: And is this the same translation problem as before with the cherubim in heaven being called the four beasts?

The Sermon on the Mount answer was D.

According to Mark, Jesus exorcized a man of many demons. These demons were cast into a large group of _____________________
A. 4 and twenty hairy baboons, which tore each other asunder
B. seven and 40 antelopes, which were driven by the good people of Eleusis into the desert
C. 70 wild beasts, which were rendered denizens of the desert
D. 2000 pigs, which ran over a cliff and into the sea.

Here’s another easy one. When Jesus calmed the storm, he was_____________
A. in a boat
B. atop a mountain (although, the mountain is not named)
C. in the desert being tempted by Satan
D. in the desert, but Satan was not there

[quote=“zender”]Hey Fortigurn,

From King James Acts 1:18
Now this man (Judas) purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

I’m guessing King James mixed something up. Is there something in the Greek that tells us this was poorly translated, or is it that Acts was not as reliable as Matthew’s account (the hanging)? I’ve read where some wondered if he was hung and when he fell, his guts spilled out.[/quote]

It’s a source criticism question or an exegetical question, depending on how you look at it. In Acts, there’s no reason for Judas to explode just by falling over, so the typical explanation is that it’s speaking of Judas’ dead body falling from the place where he was hung, and breaking up due to putrefaction.

No. This isn’t a list of men who will be saved. It’s a list of people; the ‘men’ are simply representing the redeemed, a group of both men and women. In the Apocalypse, virginity and purity from fornication, are symbolic of theological and moral purity. This isn’t literal.

Yes.

[quote]According to Mark, Jesus exorcized a man of many demons. These demons were cast into a large group of _____________________
A. 4 and twenty hairy baboons, which tore each other asunder
B. seven and 40 antelopes, which were driven by the good people of Eleusis into the desert
C. 70 wild beasts, which were rendered denizens of the desert
D. 2000 pigs, which ran over a cliff and into the sea.[/quote]

The correct answer is that your answer D needs improvement. Jesus sent them into ‘a great herd of pigs’. Mark doesn’t say that the number of the herd was 2,000; he says that’s about how many of them were drowned. Furthermore, this took place in the region of the Gadarenes, so the pigs weren’t driven into the sea, they drowned in the lake of Galilee.

[quote]Here’s another easy one. When Jesus calmed the storm, he was_____________
A. in a boat
B. atop a mountain (although, the mountain is not named)
C. in the desert being tempted by Satan
D. in the desert, but Satan was not there[/quote]

The correct answer is A.

The Lake of Galilee? OK. I can’t get anything by you. :sunglasses:

For those that want to see biblegateway’s King James version of these:

King James, Mark 5 biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=KJV

[b]12And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.

13And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea. [/b]

Mark 4 (In the Sea/Lake of Galilee)
[b]37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.

38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?[/b]

And here’s a cute Lego version, which I find inaccurate in that they placed Jesus in the front of the boat.

Here’s a slightly offensive Family Guy take on Jesus.

If that’s inappropriate, just say the word, and I’ll remove it.

[quote=“zender”]Here’s a slightly offensive Family Guy take on Jesus.

If that’s inappropriate, just say the word, and I’ll remove it.[/quote]

That’s fine, but I appreciate you asking. :slight_smile:

Awesome. How was it?

I spent Holy Week in Jerusalem! :smiley:

Unfortunately, I was about 1957 years too late. :blush:

OK. Not sure if you can find the answer in the Bible, but . . .

Where did Jesus kiss Mary Magdalene?
A. Down by the river in a Neil Young song.
B. In a V-8 Ford in a Chuck Berry song.
C. On the mouth in a Loudon Wainwright III song.
D. Under the Christmas tree in a Flaming Lips song.

[quote=“zender”]OK. Not sure if you can find the answer in the Bible, but . . .

Where did Jesus kiss Mary Magdalene?
A. Down by the river in a Neil Young song.
B. In a V-8 Ford in a Chuck Berry song.
C. On the mouth in a Loudon Wainwright III song.
D. Under the Christmas tree in a Flaming Lips song.[/quote]

Well in the Bible he didn’t kiss her at all. One reconstruction of the text of the Gnostic Gospel of Philip has Jesus kissing Mary Magdalene on the mouth, but that’s a speculative reconstruction of a lacuna in the text; it doesn’t actually say that.

“E.” is not an option here. :no-no: While your account of a speculative reconstruction of a lacuna in the text is interesting, the only correct answer is A, B, C or D.

Care to take a guess? :whistle:

Hmm, in that case I don’t know. :ponder:

In Revelation, there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great dragon,

A. it was red, had seven heads and ten horns.
B. it had the head of a lion and breathed fire and brimstone.
C. which went unto an angel, said unto him, Give me thy little book. And he said unto me, Take, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter.
D. clothed in a cloud and his feet as pillars of fire.

In Revelation 19, (when Jesus returns?), And I saw heaven opened, and behold ___; and he that sat upon him [was] called ______, and in righteousness he doth _______.

A. a golden eagle; Redeemed; judge.
B. the Lamb; Righteous and Pure; eat the flesh of kings.
C. the Lamb; Redeemed; hurl a legion of demons into the everlasting flames.
D. a white horse; Faithful and True; judge and make war.

When the bad guy’s die in the battle of Armageddon, killed by the word of God, blood flowed up to the horses’ bridles for a length of _______________
A. about four and seventy miles
B. about four and twenty miles
C. about 200 thousand thousand furlongs
D. about a hundred and a hundred miles

[quote=“zender”]In Revelation, there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great dragon,

A. it was red, had seven heads and ten horns.
B. it had the head of a lion and breathed fire and brimstone.
C. which went unto an angel, said unto him, Give me thy little book. And he said unto me, Take, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter.
D. clothed in a cloud and his feet as pillars of fire.[/quote]

A.

[quote]In Revelation 19, (when Jesus returns?), And I saw heaven opened, and behold ___; and he that sat upon him [was] called ______, and in righteousness he doth _______.

A. a golden eagle; Redeemed; judge.
B. the Lamb; Righteous and Pure; eat the flesh of kings.
C. the Lamb; Redeemed; hurl a legion of demons into the everlasting flames.
D. a white horse; Faithful and True; judge and make war.[/quote]

D.

[quote]When the bad guy’s die in the battle of Armageddon, killed by the word of God, blood flowed up to the horses’ bridles for a length of _______________
A. about four and seventy miles
B. about four and twenty miles
C. about 200 thousand thousand furlongs
D. about a hundred and a hundred miles[/quote]

1,600 furlongs, which is what, 200 miles?

Yes, Yes, and Yes! I think your weakness is the “New Testament as portrayed in pop culture…”

Most certainly. That is symptomatic of an underlying weakness; lack of knowledge of pop culture.

Admiting your weakness is the first step, my son. :neutral:

Allow me to assist you . . .

Goodness. :astonished: