Test your New Testament knowledge

Who walked on water?
A. Jesus and Chris Angel, and it wasn’t a trick.
B. Jesus and Paul
C. Jesus and Peter
D. Jesus and Andrew

Where are St. Paul and Abraham from respectively (their birthplaces are in what modern day countries)?
A.Jordan and Syria
B. Israel and Jordan
C. Turkey and Jordan
D. Turkey and Iraq

The lunatic child was cured according to
A. Matthew
B. Matthew and Mark
C. Mark and Luke
D. Matthew, Mark and Luke

The pool by the Sheep Gate in Jerusalem was
A: The place where Jesus cured the blind and dumb demoniac
B: Where Jesus cured the man with dropsy.
C. Stirred by an angel, and whoever stepped in first got cured of whatever
D. Where Simon cast in a hook and found the piece of money in the mouth of the first fish caught

[quote=“zender”]Who walked on water?
A. Jesus and Chris Angel, and it wasn’t a trick.
B. Jesus and Paul
C. Jesus and Peter
D. Jesus and Andrew[/quote]

C.

[quote]Where are St. Paul and Abraham from respectively (their birthplaces are in what modern day countries)?
A.Jordan and Syria
B. Israel and Jordan
C. Turkey and Jordan
D. Turkey and Iraq[/quote]

D.

[quote]The lunatic child was cured according to
A. Matthew
B. Matthew and Mark
C. Mark and Luke
D. Matthew, Mark and Luke[/quote]

Mmm… going to take a punt on A.

[quote]The pool by the Sheep Gate in Jerusalem was
A: The place where Jesus cured the blind and dumb demoniac
B: Where Jesus cured the man with dropsy.
C. Stirred by an angel, and whoever stepped in first got cured of whatever
D. Where Simon cast in a hook and found the piece of money in the mouth of the first fish caught[/quote]

C.

All correct except the third one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

Apparently, you are no Ray Guy. :hand:

The correct answer is D. The lunatic child was cured accord to Matthew Mark AND Luke.

Here’s how to punt:

And here’s how Chris Angel walks on water:

[quote=“zender”]All correct except the third one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

Apparently, you are no Ray Guy. :hand:

The correct answer is D. The lunatic child was cured accord to Matthew Mark AND Luke.[/quote]

Oops, I remembered the son in the other records as mute, and forgot he was also epileptic.

As a magician myself, I was very disappointed with the Criss Angel walk on water when it was first done. The guy is a great magician and I don’t find it blasphemous at all. I do find though that it underestimates the “perceptiveness” of the average viewer and thereby cheapens magic. I will repeat though, as a magician he is very good.
Yes , I know a little void of the actual topic

Come come. How about some hard questions?

1. In three of the four oldest manuscripts of Mark, the name of the daughter who danced for Herod in Mk 6 is __________ (translators omit her name to spare Mark from historical error).

2. Some scholars argue that the ending of the gospel of ____ was originally the ending of Mark.

3. In what gospel is Jesus executed by Herod?

4. Matthew, Mark, Luke. What is generally considered the order of composition?

5. What famous Roman national-religious event has the followers fleeing the assumption of their leader into heaven, and may be the basis for the famous scene of Jesus’ followers abandoning him in the gospels.

6. What event in Josephus’ War do many scholars consider the basis for the trial scene of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark?

7. Name three other ancient stories in which the hero enters the city to the huzzahs of crowds, undergoes portentous events in the temple, is arrested, brought before the local potentate, executed though innocent, goes willingly to the execution, and miraculously survives execution. Name one in which the hero twice survives crucifixion.

8. What are some possible bases for the three-day motif of death-resurrection in the gospels?

9. In what Gospel is Jesus invariably referred to as “the Jesus.”

10. In addition to the Gospel of Mark, many scholars consider ____ an additional important source for both Matthew and Luke.

The questions in this thread are about New Testament knowledge, not knowledge of apocryphal works or fringe scholarship and radical studies. You have a couple of valid source and text criticism questions, but even they deserve a different thread.

Fortigurn, there are no “fringe scholarship” or “radical studies” questions there. AFAIK, all but 3, 5 and 7 are answerable with one of the New Testament gospels.

I’m speaking to someone whose commentary on Mark is dependent heavily on Crossan, who takes the fringe view on Q, and who relies on several personally devised criteria of historicity which are unrecognized by the scholarly consensus. This certainly affects your view of what constitutes fringe scholarship or radical studies.

That said, let’s look at this question.

Many? Really? Your own commentary says this.

Your question assumes a fringe position which you misrepresent as being held by ‘many scholars’.

No. Answers to the following questions cannot be answered simply by reading the New Testament, still less ‘with one of the New Testament gospels’.

[quote]1. In three of the four oldest manuscripts of Mark, the name of the daughter who danced for Herod in Mk 6 is __________ (translators omit her name to spare Mark from historical error).

1. Some scholars argue that the ending of the gospel of ____ was originally the ending of Mark.

2. Matthew, Mark, Luke. What is generally considered the order of composition?

3. What event in Josephus’ War do many scholars consider the basis for the trial scene of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark?

4. What are some possible bases for the three-day motif of death-resurrection in the gospels?

5. In what Gospel is Jesus invariably referred to as “the Jesus.”

6. In addition to the Gospel of Mark, many scholars consider ____ an additional important source for both Matthew and Luke.[/quote]

The same can be said for the following questions in your new thread.

[quote]1. In three of the four oldest manuscripts of Mark, the name of the daughter who danced for Herod in Mk 6 is __________.

1. What are some possible bases for the three-day motif of death-resurrection in the gospels?

2. In addition to the NT Gospel of Mark, many scholars consider ____ an additional important source for both Matthew and Luke.

3. Who erected the original statue in the Temple that was referenced as the Abomination of the Desolation in the New Testament gospels?

4. List the Pauline epistles widely considered by serious scholars to be later forgeries in Paul’s name.

5. 2 Peter is a copy and expansion of what other New Testament Epistle?

6. Name the pericope in Luke that is called a “floating pericope.”

7. Scholars widely accept that the Gospel of John has at least #_ major writers/editors at work in it.

8. The descriptive term for the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke is the ____________ Gospels.[/quote]

[quote]
Many? Really? Your own commentary says this.

Several scholars (Helms 1997, p37, Evans 1995, Sanders 1995, p266)) have observed that this scene has strong similarities with, and may be related to, a passage in Josephus, from Book VI of Wars:

Your question assumes a fringe position which you misrepresent as being held by ‘many scholars’.[/quote]

ROFL. I listed three in the Commentary (so flattered to find you’ve actually looked at it) because listing no more was necessary. I know “many scholars” see that as a possible source because I’ve discussed it with them – for example, Ted Weeden, who is a ranking Mark scholar, had a conference paper on this several years ago which he was kind enough to forward to me, citing (I think it was) 24 points of contact between the two stories. I originally cited him, but he made me take it down because he hadn’t published yet. :slight_smile:

BTW, if you like it might be easier if you moved this conversation to the other thread.

Yet you said ‘some’ in your commentary, and then ‘many’ here. You said ‘consider the basis for’ in one phrasing of your question, and merely ‘has strong similarities with, and may be related to’, in another phrasing of your question. These two statements are not saying the same. On the other hand you could do your best to try and harmonize these statements using standard apologetic hermeneutics, which would be amusing.