Testing for immigration

is there some kind of a test that is required to take when applying for Taiwan citizenship? if, yes, what does it consist of??

Can you eat Chou Do Fu? Can you speak with your mouth open? Do you feel the urge to queue at food stalls when you see other people queuing at them?

You only need to take the test if you:

  1. have not taken Chinese lessons of any kind, dfor at least 3 months.

  2. are unwilling/unable to take the Immersion Chinese courses given at most local elementary schools

If so, then go to the Immigration Office closest to you and ask for the booklet with test questions and answers. Memorize it and take the test. It can be retaken if you fail, no biggie. It covers a written and oral part.

Oh, and a practical part HeadHoncho mentioned. :wink:

  1. The test booklet is usually available at your local Household Registration office. They deal with naturalization, not the NIA.
  2. You can choose between an oral OR a written test.
  3. For the oral test, you can choose between Mandarin, Taiwanese, Hakka and Aboriginal languages.
  4. For the “written” test, the answers are multiple choice. You only write down numbers, no characters.

You can download the test at http://www.ris.gov.tw if you don’t want to go to the HHR office.

I got mine at the office in Guanzhou Street. I trust the on line version is more updated, and I hope that the OP doesn’t have to take it.