🇺🇸 USA | Texas Cities, which is better

So my Taiwan friend, will move the whole family and they like Texas but not sure of which city is better. They asked me since I travel there for work, but I not live there so a but different. They are interested in Northern Metroplex area (for the Asian markets and eateries), also asking about Houston and south of there (friend works in Chem plant south along the gulf). They asked about Lubbock which I do not much about, so people here have any area which city is better for Taiwanese to move too. They have two school age kids so plan move in the summer to start school in the fall.

I think they should look at jobs first before just plopping down in a city.

Many cities can be good or bad, although Texas is not famous for its walkability, but availability of jobs that they will enjoy will be more important for them I reckon.

They will buy a car, so walkability is not on the top of importance.

Like I said, the job is the best indicator on where to move.

1 Like

Paris, Texas is nice.

3 Likes

The job issue is not important to them. In this case job can be remote, with some travel back to Taiwan. Houston has a direct flight in normal times, but most Texas cities have no more than one stop flights so they will think is ok. More as mentioned access to Asian (Taiwanese) food, safe area and good schools for the kids.

Humm, interesting find. After reading in wiki some of the town’s history sounds like awful place + the remote location.

Been to all the big Texan cities, Austin, Dallas, El Paso, Houston and San Antonio. That includes a lot of the cities in the greater areas as well, like Fort Worth.

Aside from El Paso, which is really different from the rest, most of the other cities are about the same, especially the suburbs. San Antonio has a better looking downtown area. Houston and Dallas feels more diverse in terms of the population (more African Americans and Asians, as opposed to just whites and Hispanics). All of them have sprawling suburbs, university towns, military bases, and large industrial areas,especially for Dallas and Houston.

I remember Dallas as unrelentingly hot, and Houston as unrelentingly hot as humid. However, high temperatures and humidity are probably not a problem for a Taiwanese family.

If they want to symbolically support the Ukrainians, they can go to Odessa, Texas.

1 Like

Houston is an urban sprawl concrete nightmare. I hate it. 12 lane highways and driving an hour to get across town. There’s more Asian stuff there, but meh.

Austin is where I lived for 7 years and I really liked it. Very manageable size - benefits of a big city while feeling like a smaller town. Lots of nice outdoor areas, unlike Houston. There is an asian part of town with grocery stores and such, but it’s not huge.

2 Likes

I remember her as a very attractive lady, unlike her father…

3 Likes

Yeah, if I have to choose without considering jobs and stuff, I’d probably choose Austin or San Antonio.

Suburbs around Dallas is nice. Plano is the sister city of Taipei actually with quite a lot of Taiwanese people.

Austin and Houston suburbs are also coming up.

1 Like

Worth noting that like many other US cities, Austin has had a surge of drugged up and mentally ill homeless people the last couple years. It’s kinda shitty in many places now. Murder rate went up 3x

But Houston has always been a crime-y place

Agreed.
Ive lived in Irving, Coppel, and Lewisville.

I have friends in Denton who like it.

I enjoyed Lewisville. Coppel is / was very upscale. I didnt like Irving.

All are an easy commute into Dallas or Fortworth.

1 Like

McKinney.

1 Like

Thanks ! I now remember a nearby town to Denton, Frisco with a Taiwan market and shops, looked like a nice area. (and a big Japanese market in the area, Mitsuwa Marketplace. Also some nice Korean markets and good Korean food compared to Taiwan)

1 Like

Austin is the only place I’d live in Texas. Even then I’d prefer to do it with a time machine to go back 20-30 years to when it was more chill music scene and less tech bros, skyscrapers, and traffic congestion.

Central Houston is alright. The rest of Houston and the entirely of the DFW “metroplex” (just that term makes me cringe) is the worst kind of American sprawling hell. Lubbock is middle-of-nowhere and conservative.

1 Like

how fortunate… relocating based on accessibility of Taiwanese supermarkets :slight_smile: like their priorities :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have only lived in Waco and Austin. Relatives lived in Dallas and San Antonio. Have been away for years but still visit. Just a few comments.

** Dallas, Austin, Houston have fairly large Asian population. Houston has alot of Taiwanese.
** Check home prices online to get a feel of each area. Austin can be a nice place but has grown dramatically in last 20 years which means infrastucture like roads is lagging behind and prices are sky high. Dallas and Houston area sprawl is so big you just have to consider how much of a commute you are willing to tolerate. I know quite a few Taiwanese like Grapevine between Dallas and Ft. Worth…kinda of close to the airport.
** As for schools. Wow. Don’t know how to help in that regard as the quality range can vary so much. This would need some serious research.
** Except for Austin I would deem most of Texas as conservative. More and more people moving to Texas from other states so is less conservative then before. However, this has led to even more conservative push by Texas politicians.

1 Like

You can find excellent steaks in College Station.