Texas passes law on abortion, limits to six weeks to get it done

Moving posts from Alabama thread here.

1 Like

It’s shameful how uneducated Americans can be. This will only ruin lives.

3 Likes

I saw that, gives a woman about 6 weeks to get the abortion, hardly time enough to realize they are pregnant. UK is reasonable IMO at 3 months. Democrats can push though legislation which seems like it’s going to be their response.

1 Like

I think it’s a good thing, but that’s a whole other discussion…

3 Likes

It is NOT a good thing.

Illegal abortion only causes harm to women’s body autonomy and health. It saves and helps no one. There is a REASON why abortion is legal in all civilised societies, except the reactionary Republicans in the US seem determined to drive the country out of that rank.

6 Likes

1 Like

I’m sure it gets appealed to the supreme court and gets reversed.

It does. It saves the child.
But as I said, that’s a whole different discussion to what’s intended by this thread.
So I shouldn’t push this discuss anymore.

4 Likes

Since this is about the Texas law it should be shifted to a different thread

2 Likes

Gee, Mick, what did you think would happen when Trump was saying he pushed through Kavanaugh and Barrett because they would ban abortion? When the vast majority of Republican politicians were calling for banning of Roe v. Wade? Did you think they were just funnin’?
No, you were quite willing to sell women who wanted abortions down the river in exchange for lower taxes on the wealthy- so don’t pretend to worry about it now. Hey, maybe you can join Sue Collins in expressing concern- maybe you can even work up to furrowing your brow.

I think you make things out to be too black and white. It’s hard to agree with a single candidate on every issue.

2 Likes

Ultimately, the choice should be up to the woman. But there should be a required pre-abortion counseling so that the woman understands the consequences of either keeping the baby or aborting it. Otherwise, the woman might end up making an uninformed decision based purely on emotion.

1 Like

Me? What’s this got to do with me, I made my position known. I won’t hold you responsible for the deaths of 13 service members in Afghanistan either or the suffering that follows Bidens disastrous handling of Afghanistan because that sort of guilt by association, whatever association you think I may have is plain stupid. But it was you who wanted a decrepit old fool in the White House.

Democrats should have fixed the issue though Congress when they had a 60 seat margin in the Senate.

Can I be pro-life and pro-choice? I’d never abort a baby because I remember what it’s like to feel a baby growing and the instant emotional connection. I’m also pro-choice in terms of letting do others do what is best for them. Counseling is important because it is more than just a surgery. Someone may be coercing them or it may be solely a monetary decision. If they don’t feel anything, there may be deeper mental health issues. How many abortions should be allowed before you need to get your tubes tied? I have a trashy relative that’s had so many abortions. Using abortion like birth control is just gross and that makes me support the pro-lifers.
I know someone who was pushed by her boyfriend to have an abortion. After it was done, he called her a murderer. She went to hell and back and didn’t confide in anyone. She later told me she mourns the baby’s death on that day every year. If I had known, I would have been there for her no matter what her decision was.
Another relative before me had an illegal abortion in the 40’s because they already had 4 kids and were just scraping by. She never told anyone thinking that we’d judge her. I guess this is why I’m pro-choice.

6 Likes

It’s not a good thing. Limiting access to abortions is one of the biggest factors in reductions of standard of living. Abortion restrictions make us poorer.

3 Likes

Agree

Yes, even with women who think they want an abortion, they may later regret the decision. So it is something they need pre-counseling on to make sure they can handle what follows the abortion.

1 Like

Who cares? Let’s pretend that’s true…how is being dead better than being raised in a family with a reduced standard of living? What difference does it make on whether a state or a community should be prevented by the federal government from stopping people from ending innocent human life?

3 Likes

My dad is very pro-life. He always says the little black kid wants to survive and didn’t ask to have their throat cut. I know that is crass. His point was minorities will be on the receiving end and all life matters - rich or poor.

7 Likes

Yeah exactly, screw that kid-to-be, now you are to grow up in a shitty situation, forced by the community and the state. Deal with it you innocent human life! Also screw your mom for getting pregnant, and let’s not look into why she got pregnant while being in a ““reduced standard of living””, nor think about her too much.
Better luck next life, kid.

I am trying to be very sarcastic by the way.

LOVING all the men on this thread making their opinions known about what a woman should be allowed to do with her body!! I’m sure you continue to care deeply about the unborn children once they are born into this world. That’s why you support universal healthcare, education, and nutrition programs for all children born in the USA. Because you care DEEPLY about human lives. “All lives matter”, after all.

Everyone knows that abortion restriction has NEVER been about protecting the “innocent unborn lives”. It has ALWAYS been about making sure women are unable to make decisions about their body, their health, and their future. A pregnant woman’s body goes through an enormous amount of trauma, both emotional and physical. The United States of America does not require ANY paid leave for a woman, who had just shoved a human being out of her vagina, to recover. Medical expenses are footed by the woman, as is all the lost work time from going to the doctor before giving birth, which is intended to make sure both the mother and baby are healthy.

If Texas cared even a smidge about the lives of unborn children, they would, at an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, provide quality pre- and post- natal care to every pregnant woman in the state. You need healthy women to produce healthy babies. I see no evidence of that. Thus, it’s obvious the Texas legislature cares only about abortion restrictions, not protecting the lives of unborn children. Cuz they’re only harming the lives of unborn children as their mothers resort to dangerous alternatives.

5 Likes