Texas passes law on abortion, limits to six weeks to get it done

Many countries require some specific justification after a certain gestational age, e.g 12 weeks in France, Norway, 14 weeks in Germany. As far as I am aware only Canada, United States (some states), China and North Korea have no limit.

1 Like

Returning for a moment to the practicalities of the law itself, I was curious about how quickly an abortion is actually available in Texas. There are various hurdles to jump through ā€“ at least two visits to the same clinic and same doctor, paperwork, a sonogram, a 24-hour waiting period. But you also have to actually get an appointment. Back in 2015 this apparently took up to 20 days in the Dallas area. Iā€™d assume that itā€™s gotten harder since, and that itā€™s worse again for rural areas.

So itā€™s pretty easy to see how a woman who misses her period by a few days and then takes a pregnancy test might already be too late to ā€œget it doneā€. Iā€™d hazard a guess that more women will use morning-after pills as a safeguard, with the financial and health effects that entails. And of course many of those who miss the window will use illegal alternatives.

I sort of wonder what the supposed ā€œbest caseā€ is here. Is it that a woman who wants an abortion but is prevented from having one will change her mind and raise the child? Or is she supposed to put it up for adoption? And how easy is that, in practice? (I looked but didnā€™t find much useful information on the last question).

Unless you want me dead or enjoy the suffering of the people around me, I donā€™t see why you would want me wantonly killed, no. (learned a new word today)

But going back to a fetus: as somebody totally unrelated and unaffected by its existence, I hope the parents, and the direct family that will raise the child when born, should make the judgement on whether to keep or not the pregnancy.

Because I donā€™t want to inflict suffering and pain to others, and the birth of an unwanted pregnancy might exactly do that.

This begs the question, if the people who make the decision to terminate a life one minute prior to birth can do so, why canā€™t they one minute after birth? Or a week after birth?

2 Likes

Yes I am also pro-euthanasia.

But when it comes to taking one-self life (as in suicide) I am all in for governmental support of all citizens, specially in complicated situations, in all the colours of support: mental, economic, health, educational, housingā€¦, to prevent that from happening.

This is because I believe people are inherently good and will do good if consistently treated with goodness.
Yes, I also donā€™t support death penalty.

I am talking about whomever you think can kill the unborn baby 1-minute before birth making the decision 1-minute after birth. Your justifications seem to favor both.

Unless we are talking about medical conditions that might appear later in a pregnancy, I think a one can make an informed decision, that will not be regretted afterwards, about whether you want and can keep a baby within a few weeks after knowing that you are pregnant, as long as you have the support and all information.

Again, I believe the key for this decision to be the best for everybody involved is governmental support to the parents-to-be. Iā€™m talking about family counseling, monetary support for parents, paternity & maternity leave, free education, free healthcare, affordable housing, UBIā€¦

Again, if you want to lower the amount of ā€œunborn babys being killedā€, you have to tackle the amount of unwanted pregnancies, not the amount of abortions.

Make sure people have access to a proper sexual education, give them free contraceptives, make healthcare free.

Sometimes, contraceptives are going to fail. When that does happen, support the pregnant parents so that they can make the best decision for everyone, including the society that they live in. And sometimes that is going to be an abortion, and thatā€™s OK.

Indeed I do not! But that doesnā€™t matter. We canā€™t say that everyone will be so friendly. As a society we prohibit it, donā€™t we? For good reason?

Goodness comes from within. If one has to consistently be treated with goodness to be good, how good can that be?

And I think you hit a trifecta there, euthanasia, suicide and abortion in the same post, and a shout out to the death penalty. noice

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not what I said.
I said people will do good in that case, Iā€™m not saying it is a requirement.

And yeah, abortion rights touch many other topics, but I still donā€™t think we are going too off-topic :slight_smile:

It seems to be what you said. If youā€™d like to clarify, please do.

1 Like

You said all this, and even said that not understanding it was causing ā€œcognitive dissonanceā€

1 Like

Yes, I believe people are inherently good.
I know people donā€™t always do good (for many reasons).
I believe if people are consistently treated with goodness, they will be more likely to do good themselves.

Maybe my phrasing sounds generalizing.
Iā€™m the one experiencing a lot of cognitive dissonance (in many of the opinions and topics in forumosa).

In this topic, I found my biggest dissonance to be about the value that some users give to an unborn human life.

To be honest, I havenā€™t seen anyone in this topic change opinion yet.
I donā€™t know what I expected when I typed what I typed.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I misread you on that. But, it never hurts to talk things through a bit, I hope!

Itā€™s not very likely on a topic like this. But, many people read conversations like this, and parts of them may well end up influencing their views, or lead them to look into various points in greater depth. Itā€™s happened to me very often.

2 Likes

Now youā€™ve lost me. I think that be BEING good to others one increases pleasure and decreases pain. IDK if that is an inherent human attribute or simply a consequence of being inherently rational beans. :idunno:

Policing womenā€™s freedom and relaxed gun lawsā€¦ Texas and the Talibanā€¦ Not so very different.

:laughing:

Lefties back Satanists:

https://americanactionnews.com/politics/2021/09/07/satanists-in-texas-demand-right-to-perform-ritual-abortion-in-texas/