Thai food

Chiang Mai, you say? I’ll have to check it out. I’d really love to find a nice Thai place. Some of the Taiwanese places are not unpleasant, but as 6stringsamurai said, they are all watered down and have cheap local ingredients so don’t taste authentic at all.

Any XinYi recommendations would be great.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Chiang Mai, you say? I’ll have to check it out. I’d really love to find a nice Thai place. Some of the Taiwanese places are not unpleasant, but as 6stringsamurai said, they are all watered down and have cheap local ingredients so don’t taste authentic at all.

Any Xinyi recommendations would be great.[/quote]

I just ‘found’ a place on Shida Rd, just a few doors from the junior cafe, which seems to be almost always almost empty but does great affordable Thai food. I’m one of those ‘diappointment averse’ people who is sick of trying new things because they’re invariably crap, so it was a real joy to get dragged to this place recently.

Two hungry drunk foreign guys with vacuum-cleaner attachments on their faces were defeated by $500 of food, not just the quantity but the quality too. Excellent! I’ve talked to a couple of people who have lived in Thailand and they both were impressed with the authenticity of the food.

I’d take you, but you’d look at my arse.

I love Chiang Mai…the staff is amazing too. I never understood why there was a pic of Bob Marley there…until I went to Thailand:)

[quote=“Loretta”]

I just ‘found’ a place on Shi-Da Rd, just a few doors from the junior cafe, which seems to be almost always almost empty but does great affordable Thai food. I’m one of those ‘diappointment averse’ people who is sick of trying new things because they’re invariably crap, so it was a real joy to get dragged to this place recently. .[/quote]

Cool, will have to try it.

Does ‘disappointment averse’ mean ‘wimpy and unadventurous’?

[quote=“Loretta”]Two hungry drunk foreign guys with vacuum-cleaner attachments on their faces were defeated by $500 of food, not just the quantity but the quality too. Excellent! I’ve talked to a couple of people who have lived in Thailand and they both were impressed with the authenticity of the food.

I’d take you, but you’d look at my arse.[/quote]

Oh dear, Lola, are you fantasizing about being nothing but a piece of meat to be ogled, again? I went there the other day with a gorgeous sandy haired guy who kneeled at my feet and licked my hand all night. Unfortunately, he bought his dodgy soap and scissors-averse mate with him.

And I want my vacuum cleaner back. It’s new, dogammit.

Edit I lived on the same street as this place for two years and never went in before. I think because it has sliding doors.

In Zhonghe, there’s an authentic Thai restaurant opened by Thai women. That’s pretty much the only place in the Taipei-area that I’ll eat Thai food now. Located off Zhonghe Road the alley right after the McDs and before the Zhongshan Rd intersection (where RT Mart is).

I’ve posted a topic a while ago on this place but ya theres also this little place in Ximen in the red show house square that sells authentic Thai food, the 2 ladies that run it are from Thailand and they have an english menu with stuff mostly ranging from 80~150NT. The portions are more than enough and its got a great atmosphere especially at night since there are alot of cafes and outdoor kinda bar places that surround it For surely worth trying out!

I haven’t read the whole thread but the best Thai place I know of is hidden away in an alley in Tonghua Night market. Real Thai food, real tasty, real cheap!

I’ll put in another vote for that small Thai place by Gongguan people are taking about, not sure of its english name, but its called 泰國小館 - Amost directly benhind Gongguan exit 1 (mister donut exit) on Dingzhou street. Look for the storefront with thai spices and noodles for sale out front. I’ve talked to the owners and they are Thai-Chinese people from Thailand.

As authentic as I’ve had here, even better than some places I’ve been in Bangkok. Single Meals are 150NT, and afternoon tea (2-5pm) all you can eat only 230NT weekday, 260NT weekend. Really Cheap.

Warning, they don’t back out on the heat (the way I like it) and serve it Thailand spicy, so you have to tell them to back off on the peppers if you can’t take it. The Hot and Sour soup is especially super spicy and really sour…its awsome.

Another place that gets a thumbs up is “Home” (泰國料理) right across from Breeze Center. More upscale, relaxed and modern environment. Fairly authentic thai cuisine, but some slight taiwanisation of dishes (but hey what do you expect here?). A bit pricer than above, as dishes cost 300-400NT range each. Expect to pay about 1500 NT for two to get full with drinks (not alcohol).

Home gets my vote for a nice date/business setting to impress someone, but I prefer the Gongguan location for its heat and authenticity.

Got an address?

On that recommendation, we’re trying it tonight.

i second that…it’s the real deal…but hard to find…from tonghua street go twothirds thru the market and look for an alley on the left…its about 10 meters in…

i second that…it’s the real deal…but hard to find…from tonghua street go twothirds thru the market and look for an alley on the left…its about 10 meters in…[/quote]

Name? Number?

or is this a contest to find the place?

tonghua night market thai place:

tel number: 2706 4538

linjiang street, lane 39, alley 62, no.51
open 4pm -1am

no contest!

[quote=“VRBaddict”]tonghua night market thai place:

tel number: 2706 4538

linjiang street, lane 39, alley 62, no.51
open 4pm -1am

no contest![/quote]

You win! Thanks. :bravo:

I went to Thai Town cuisine in "新光三越.
we like the "green curry chicken in coconut sauce.

There is a new Thai restaurant in Xindian within the MRT Mansion building at Dapinglin MRT station exit 1. The building has a bank and a Starbucks on the 1st floor and I believe the restaurant is on the third. I’m sorry I don’t remember the name, but it’s my favorite Thai restaurant so far in Taipei and I have tried many of them as it’s pretty much my favorite food.

What/where is the MRT Mansion building? Anyone know any good Thai around Guting MRT or along the Nanshijiao line?

Just ordered a bowl of khao soi from this place on second floor of TMS. Let’s see

Yes please report! I considered ordering their food but chatted with a visiting couple from Japan, who had ordered one of the ground meat dishes with rice, which bore zero resemblance to the nice photo posted on the wall. That was maybe a month ago. I hope they have upped their game (please!).

Guy

There are two interesting places I eat in Taoyuan. There are a lot of these kinds of stores in Taoyuan, of course, but these ones are just convenient for me when I’m in the area.

This one is just okay, very inconsistent opening times.

This shop is better. I forget if it’s on the menu or not but they do a raw prawn dish that’s fantastic.

They’re out of the way, but if you’re in the area and want Thai food, I’d say go for it.