Thai home cooking

Nope. I did think of that place in Chung Ho as as an option - been so long I can’t recall what they have there, but probably worth a try any way. I sortta recall it was mostly Burmese and Viet - which goes with what’s in those pics (no time to read it). That’s the place theyhave the Burmese version of Songran (new year, or better known to most as the el grande wet t-shirt competition of Asia).

There is definitely an all Thai street in Hsinchuang.

HG

I had edited my above post while you were typing; have another look, mate.

Bingo!

Cheers . . . erh, why am I so happy? I got home Thai food every day, and all the ingredients scouted by the Thai missus just a short ferry hop away - she bitches about the prices, but I have to remind her that while it looks like a Thai market, this is HK and all of the produce was shipped/flown here.

Wanchai market is stacked with Thai shops, should anyone be interested. There’s a curious added plus to the lecherous here, and that’s because all those Thai bar lasses in HK tend to live and work in Wanchai, and of course shop among those Thai shops. One of which has a great cheap Thai eatery out the back, and a very cheap for the ladies (and gents too I suspect) hair dresser upstairs. They also do the best remittance and exchange rates on sending money to Thailand, far - far better than Western Union or any of those others.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Nope. I did think of that place in Zhonghe as as an option - been so long I can’t recall what they have there, but probably worth a try any way. I sortta recall it was mostly Burmese and Viet - which goes with what’s in those pics (no time to read it). That’s the place theyhave the Burmese version of Songran (new year, or better known to most as the el grande wet t-shirt competition of Asia).

There is definitely an all Thai street in Hsinchuang (Xinzhuang).

HG[/quote]

The Chunghe street is great for dried/canned ingredients, I have run into fresh lemongrass there, you can get frozen lemongrass/galangal/kaffir lime leaves too. But haven’t seen much in the way of fresh ingredients. There’s a wet market there, I always wondered if you got there in the morning there might be a stall. I never have though.

I’ve been past Huacheng street on the bus loads of times and have seen a few thai shops and restaurants along it. I wouldn’t call it an all-thai street though. Maybe one of the lanes? Is that where you mean elegua?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Nope. I did think of that place in Zhonghe as as an option - been so long I can’t recall what they have there, but probably worth a try any way. I sortta recall it was mostly Burmese and Viet - which goes with what’s in those pics (no time to read it). That’s the place theyhave the Burmese version of Songran (new year, or better known to most as the el grande wet t-shirt competition of Asia).

There is definitely an all Thai street in Hsinchuang (Xinzhuang) (Xinzhuang).

HG[/quote]

The Chunghe street is great for dried/canned ingredients, I have run into fresh lemongrass there, you can get frozen lemongrass/galangal/kaffir lime leaves too. But haven’t seen much in the way of fresh ingredients. There’s a wet market there, I always wondered if you got there in the morning there might be a stall. I never have though.

I’ve been past Huacheng street on the bus loads of times and have seen a few thai shops and restaurants along it. I wouldn’t call it an all-thai street though. Maybe one of the lanes? Is that where you mean elegua?[/quote]

Apologies …don’t recall the name anymore. Only know how to get there…

I thought this was an attractive result, thanks to fresh green peppercorns and kaffir lime leaves from Breeze. The “Qua Quality” brand coconut milk i used seemed a cut above the usual. Tasted pretty damn good

This recipe was dead easy and destroys a curry noodles you’ll get in a yunnan joint. I doubled it, but not the turmeric or coriander powder. Find coriander with the roots attached and include them with the end of the stem. Even though doubling it, one can of coconut milk was plenty. Some Sichuan-type “suan cai” pickled vegetable is nice chopped in there at end. I used a tablespoon of soy sauce when seasoning at end as well, but didn’t double fish sauce.

bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/ … n-khao-soi

On a quest for turmeric dishes. This was easy and tasty:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 … hamin.html

Got one of those Japanese rice cookers, not the most essential item but it makes Thai sticky rice pretty darn good.

1 Like