🇹🇭 Thailand - British men fall in love with Thai Bar girls

I was searching for Somerset Maugham mentions in Forumosa and I stumbled upon this thread. The original video is not available but I wonder what started this whole discussion

The video itself is the reason for the thread. YouTube has loads more of these stories. Guys who cash in their retirement plans and sell their property and hand over the cash to a Thai girlfriend to buy a house. Then the girl divorces them and makes the guy move out.

4 Likes

1 Like

I have friends who live in Thailand in the motorcycle racing trade.
Stories they can tell you of guys being screwed in every way possible.
Not only Brits, Germans, Dutch and Aussies seem big suckers also.

They’ve been having some problems with there business from Russian gangsters lately.

4 Likes

They should pay off the local gangsters/police for some protection

1 Like

Graham Greene as well as Maugham springs to mind:

“There’s nothing wrong in love. It happens. It doesn’t much matter who with. We get caught up, we get kidnapped by mistake.”

The uncontrollable onset of emotions in a man whose life seems to have nearly run its course. To suddenly discover love when none seemed possible. It’s like a strongly addictive drug.

4 Likes

I’m touched. Coincides perfectly with the Somerset Maugham short story I’m reading at the moment, The Social Scene.

I’m also having flashbacks of loves, of Thailand, of love with a Thailand girl, of love of Thai food.

2 Likes

Speaking from experience? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’ve got a grey highlighter pen?

It’s a Kobo.

Yea, it’s a Kobo ereader, similar to Kindle.