Thailand: Chiang Mai vs. Chiang Rai?

Funny you just posted that. As I logged on this morning I was thinking I should mention that. I assume you rode up it on a motorbike? I did, on a small rental bike, and afterwards formed the impression that most people don’t do it that way, but instead do it by rental car or other means.

It’s a fairly long ride from Chiang Mai (my t-shirt was substantially darker afterwards from all the dust/exhaust), I encountered no other motorbikes on the ride, and at the top of the peak I ran into many Thais who expressed great surprise that I’d ridden up there (not that it was any amazing feat, but apparently most people drive cars up).

Anyway, I want to repeat your comment that Doi Inthanon is very beautiful and well worth visiting. Beautiful forest and waterfalls on the way up, great views and lots of exotic birds. If you do ride up it, be sure to bring a jacket, even if it’s very hot when you leave CM, as it can get very cool at the top (despite the fact that the highest spot in Thailand is really not very high at all).

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Seeker, re renting bikes, my experience elsewhere in Thailand would suggest a current licence (US is fine) and money oughtta do it. But watch the cops. They like to “fine”, but not too savagely. You wanna hire from where? If I’m there I’ll check.
[/quote]
HGC: Still not sure, but I’m getting the impression that I’ll likely start out in Chiang Mai, rent a motorcycle there, and then drive around that area of Thailand, night here, night there, for about a week. Any info, plus your impressions after your upcoming trip, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joesax: No, didn’t see that website yet. Not much time yet, but will surely read it. Sorry if I’m asking about stuff that is already available. The perils of hit-and-run posting :wink:

MT: Thanks for extra info on Doi Inthanon. Roughly where is that?

I don’t remember. It was a few years ago. But it’s on any map of Thailand, within striking distance from CM. Are you going to pick up a Lonely Planet guide?

Incidentally, for a much shorter ride up a hill from CM, there’s a very popular temple on a large hill very close to CM that’s fun to visit (I don’t remember its name, but looking a guidebook it should be obvious) and has lots of stands selling trinkets in the village behind the temple. But that’s just a half day adventure. Doi Inthanon is a full day and involves much more beautiful wilderness.

Also, if you’re interested, thai cooking and massage classes used to be available in CM. Or, you can always do the standard tourist thing – a 3 day trek involving hiking through the humid forest to a village where your guide might offer you the opportunity to smoke some opium (didn’t compare to Northern Cal sinsemilla in my opinion), ride elephants and take bamboo rafts down the river. It’s hardly an exotic adventure – tens of thousands of Lonely Planet readers preceed you on such a trek, but it’s still fun (though I read somewhere that those treks are having a bad effect on the natural and cultural environment).

More on that national park here.

HG

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Are you going to pick up a Lonely Planet guide?
[/quote]
One way or another, yes.

Joesax: The gt-rider.com/bikes.html website is amazing. It even answered my question about where Doi Inthanon is.

In reality, do these shops reserve bikes via email, or do you really have to just wait and rent while standing there?

BTW, the quality of this thread, and others like it, is the main reason that I use Forumosa and give of my free time to contribute to it in different ways. Super job.

Funny you just posted that. As I logged on this morning I was thinking I should mention that. I assume you rode up it on a motorbike? I did, on a small rental bike, and afterwards formed the impression that most people don’t do it that way, but instead do it by rental car or other means.

It’s a fairly long ride from Chiang Mai (my t-shirt was substantially darker afterwards from all the dust/exhaust), I encountered no other motorbikes on the ride, and at the top of the peak I ran into many Thais who expressed great surprise that I’d ridden up there (not that it was any amazing feat, but apparently most people drive cars up).

Anyway, I want to repeat your comment that Doi Inthanon is very beautiful and well worth visiting. Beautiful forest and waterfalls on the way up, great views and lots of exotic birds. If you do ride up it, be sure to bring a jacket, even if it’s very hot when you leave CM, as it can get very cool at the top (despite the fact that the highest spot in Thailand is really not very high at all).[/quote]I rode up and down Doi Inthanon several times. Fun on a big bike (though of course in America a 400cc bike is seen as a small one!) The Honda 250 Baja single-cylinder dirt bike that my brother was riding did fine as well. Also no reason why people can’t go up the mountain on a small bike like you did – it will just take a bit longer but then of course you see more scenery. Actually, for people with little motorbike experience, a small bike is probably the best thing anyway.

The first few days of the trip went like this:
First day – From CM to Doi Inthanon. Yes, the first section going out of CM was a bit of a drag. We stopped at the nice Burmese-style temple near the base of the mountain. Then went up the mountain and down over the other side to a little village the name of which I’ve forgotten.

Next morning, back over Doi Inthanon and down to the Burmese temple again in time for breakfast next door. Then slowly back up the mountain with stops for waterfalls, and the monuments at the top. Back down to the little village for another night there.

Then three more days doing the Mae Hong Son loop. A great trip.

Doi Suthep is the name of the mountain. Wat Doi Suthep is the name of the temple. It is the large mountain right on the edge of the city. You can see it clearly from the city as long as the air is clear.

added a few minutes later:

You might be thinking of motorcycle taxis. These are probably the most common form of public transport in Thailand. They can be found just about everywhere. They are often good for getting to temples or villages that are some distance from the main road.

Prices vary and it is often necessary to bargain. IF you want to spend a whole day travelling around it would surely be cheaper to rent your own bike and ride it. However, if you just want to make a single trip to a place a little out of the way, motorcycle taxis are a good option.

Just back last night.

Powered up Doi Suthep on a 125cc thinking it was Doi Inthanon and wondering what the hell you guys were talking about needing a bigger bike . . until I realised.

No problem hiring bikes in the area - any size. As is typical of Thailand, everything is easy for tourists, whatever tour you’d like.

Had a friend drive us through the Mae Hong Son loop. Nice roads, deadly traffic, very much the south of Taiwan type. I’m sure there were better routes - hell, we were in a bloody great big car, easier to stick to the mainroads.

Here’s a link for some suggested rides: http://www.gt-rider.com/loops.html

Don’t sweat it, it’s easy of course.

By the bye, I got my 125cc by leaving my passport, no licence necessary.

Agree with what others have said, China mai isn’t that imnteresting, but getting off the main trails is certainly worth it.

Places we visited included Doi Ang Khang, Mae Sai - the northernmost point in Thailand. and a day trip into the Burmeese town that straddles it. Quite a laugh.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
Powered up Doi Suthep on a 125cc thinking it was Doi Inthanon and wondering what the hell you guys were talking about needing a bigger bike . . until I realised.

Places we visited included Doi Ang Khang, Mae Sai - the northernmost point in Thailand. and a day trip into the Burmeese town that straddles it. [/quote]
Thanks for the info.

Trying to get a feel for the driving time and distances. Overall, not including time touring places off the motorcycle, how much time did you spend driving to reach these places?

Around three hours to Doi Ang Khang, then a further three to Mae Sai. Inthanon was a long haul, I baulked when I stopped at a roadside stall just two kms from the turnoff and a woman suggested we didn’t have enough warm clothes and the 125cc would never make it.

By the way, that was in a car and using mainroads. You could spend forever wandering more interesting back roads and routes.

Doi Suthep is an easy half an hour.

HG

I think you’d make it on your 125, wouldn’t you HG? You have to use that method where you slalom all over the road. It makes the trip three times as long and is pretty dangerous for oncoming traffic, but its doable. I remember one time taking on those mountains in or around that area on one of those little stepthroughs. I can’t recall ever not making a destination. However, I’m not sure if I ever encounted that mountain you guys are talking about. Do you have any photos?

Geez Fox, I reckon you might be right.

Just to clarify, the long haul was a 40 odd km ride from Chiang Mai towards inthanon. Road was full of those death squad looking Thai pickups hooking along at outrageous knots with little care for the slight ding my lady friend and I on our piddly 125cc would have done to their roo bars.

No pics of my own as yet, but I just spotted this. So yep, a 125cc step through with two on it is doable to the top of Doi Inthanon . . . for a French couple at least.

Actually my lass is from Bangkok and she was feeling the cold at sea level in Chiang Mai!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Actually my lass is from Bangkok and she was feeling the cold at sea level in Chiang Mai!
[/quote]
That and looking at the pic (although not you) made me wonder:

What type of temperatures and weather conditions did you encounter in the Chiang Mai area while you were there? Jackets needed, lots of rain, etc? I would expect it to be dry, temps to be mild, requiring only light jackets.

In the hills, I suppose they are mountains, I wore a jacket - fairly light cotton - a beanie. The temp was dry but coolish, no hint of rain. In Chiang Mai itself a t-shirt was fine, I also used the jacket for sitting in the back of the pickup and at night.

Of course clothes are cheap in Thailand so don’t worry too much. By the way, I saw leather bike jackets for sale for around Bt1,800. Seemed like a good deal.

HG

Fox, just went back and read this:

Spot on in hindsight. Oh, and I did see those long-necked woman on the Burma side. Interesting little trip really. I was expecting a minorities Disney style theme park but actually they were quite cool. Happy for the vistors and with some Thai speaking pals we passed a great afternoon chatting.

HG