šŸ‡¹šŸ‡­ Thailand | Retiring to Thailand

Holy cow. Renting isnā€™t much of a difference but buy is about 1/3 as expensive.

And depending what you want on that chart, sometimes Bangkok is more expensive than Taipei to rent!

Guy

https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/thailand-property-financing.php

Hope you have cash. Because at least itā€™s possible here.

Mortgages for foreigners are basically unheard of in Thailand.

Your case in Taiwan did not look simple to me. :neutral_face:

Guy

6 Likes

Yeah, but I would say there is a difference between hard and impossible.

Maybe somebody should start a real-estate broker service catering to foreigners and guide them through the entire process.

1 Like

Iā€™d be very careful dealing with any such broker. Itā€™s a famous scam perpetrated by westerners in Thailand.

1 Like

I meant in Taiwan, but yes good point, there would be the risk of going into business with shady foreigners :sweat_smile:

Anyone have experience with the Thai Elite Visa?

Basically, for a large upfront fee, you get a long-term visa that gets around some of the bureaucracy. Of course, some will consider it worth it, and some wonā€™t.

What Iā€™m wondering is if there are any gotchas or caveats that might not be apparent at application time.

Iā€™d ask in a Thailand forum, but donā€™t know of any where people share their experiences in detail (like on Forumosa) and is reasonably activeā€¦ if anyone knows, please share.

1 Like

Honestly speaking, I think most would consider it ā€˜notā€™ worth itā€¦ itā€™s a strange offering, considering the financial status of most foreigners wishing to reside long-term in Thailand. Of course people can argue that IS the purpose of this Visaā€¦ but those packing a very healthy wallet have many more desirable options globally if money is no object, and a lavish lifestyle is your thing.

Iā€™m on huahinforum.com, as I have a house in that neck of the woods. A lot of long-term residents on that forumā€¦ of course most talk is not Bangkok-focused, but some is, and many real-world knowledgeable foreigners there.

I also have no doubt that Richard Barrow has posted much about Thai Elite too, but havenā€™t looked at him for a considerable time

1 Like

I donā€™t know anyone who thinks ā€œmoney is no objectā€ (at least not here in the U.S.), so Iā€™m unfamiliar with the kinds of people youā€™re referring to.

What I do know is that there are plenty of retirees who (a) donā€™t want to ā€œun-retireā€ (i.e., go back to working as an employee, or running a business, etc.), and (b) support themselves based on assets, not so much on income (i.e., they donā€™t have a fat pensionā€¦ in fact, most Americans have no pensionā€¦ and their U.S. Social Security might not satisfy some countriesā€™ income requirements for retirement visasā€¦ and some U.S.-based retirees arenā€™t even collecting Social Security yet), and (c) donā€™t want to make a hefty investment, such as the amount needed to buy a house, nor put a similar amount into a business investment.

While such retirees may, in fact, be ā€œpacking a very healthy walletā€, they donā€™t have ā€œmany more desirable options globallyā€ā€¦ at least not in terms of number of countries that would work.

Hi @usrabbit

Looks like we might, in fact be in total agreementā€¦ I too do not know those people, and consequently do not know anyone with Thai Elite Visa (especially the full-blown one)

My point is, there are other very legitimate ways to retire in Thailand without the need for Thai Elite Visa. The most obvious being the regular Non-Imm O Visa, which costs very little (but does require you to tie-up approx US$25k for 5 months every year). Also there is a new Non-Imm O-X Visa which I havenā€™t studied yet, so I do not know its a better choice or not.

Thailand is a great place to retire, and not so costly (but at the same time not a cheap as many imagine)ā€¦ its easy to enjoy a good life, if you plan well.

No need for Thai Elite in my mind, and I think that is reflected with its very low uptake since it was introduced more than 15 years ago

2 Likes

Facebook is usually good for this sort of thing. You can get a feel for the members and usually tell who is a real, genuine, person. I found this group thatā€™s fairly active (1-2 posts per day) Redirecting...

My take is that because this is only a five year visa, this does feel a bit rich. There are many ways to earn temporary residence in countries without ā€œdonatingā€ so much capital or having a pension. The difficulties you describe to in fact occur for a number of long-term pathways for retirement, but the Thai Elite Visa is also not a solution to this, afaik.

Ahh yes, this is my point as well. Soā€¦seconded!

1 Like

If I wind up doing the Elite Visa, then Iā€™ll be someone you know of with such a visa, while at the same time not being in the category you mentioned earlier (i.e., those who consider that ā€œmoney is no objectā€).

Regarding Thailandā€™s other options, an O visa would require me to maintain a similar amount in a Thai bank. My idea of retiring in a given country means thatā€™s where I plan to live out my life. So Iā€™d never get back that deposit anyway.

A million baht for 20 years works out to 3.75 USD/day, about as much as a Starbucks habit. In either case, the value is subjective, i.e., whether a person wants to pay that much for what they get. Some do, some donā€™t.

Iā€™m still interested to know, what other countries are options for the kinds of retirees I described in my previous post? As far as I know, there may be a few, certainly not ā€œmanyā€.

For sure I will be interested to learn how this goes for You - Good luck with whatever plan you decide

For other Countries, for sure Iā€™d check out Turkey. Awesome country, really low cost of living (lower than Thailand!) and easy to get Resident Permit, plus a real path to Citizenship if that takes your fancy

2 Likes

My point (and I was simply trying to reason out what others might have been saying, not necessarily my own viewpoint) was that the Elite Visa doesnā€™t offer longterm benefits. It turns out my memory deceived me, and at 20 years the TEV certainly does qualify as long term imo!

So I can indeed see where youā€™re coming from, especially if a fixed deposit not being passed to any heirs is of no consequence to you, then it is the same as a donation!

Here is a decent website for filtering what visa options are available. The functionality isnā€™t as great as I would like, but it does give you an idea of the breadth of programs out there.

1 Like

Thai Visa used to be alright, but I havenā€™t checked it in a few years. It seems itā€™s now called ā€œASEAN Nowā€, and it seems to be pretty active.

Thatā€™s what I always thought too, and I remember it seemed pretty pricey. Donā€™t know what the current visa situation is, and how it still works with border runs to Laos, Myanmar, etcā€¦

So this is essentially off the top of my head and Iā€™d imagine there are at least twice as many that Iā€™m not thinking of or donā€™t know about:

1. Philippines SRRV: the savings route is pretty modest at 20k USD if it hasnā€™t changed
  2. Ecuador Investor Visa: I think itā€™s roughly 45k?
  3. Greece FIP: Only two years as far as I understand and you need to show savings enough to cover your living costs at 2k Euro/month.
  4. France (similar to Greece)
  5. Mexico temporary residence: the amount is inconsistent depending on where you apply but it seems to follow the same reasonable requirementsā€¦that you have savings that cover a decent cost of living per month.

Panama used to be a really good one if you were from a friendly nation, but I know theyā€™ve phased that out now so probably not doable, at least not in the way it used to be. (~$5k in the bank)

Malaysiaā€™s Sarawak MM2H also was super reasonable but they recently followed suit and now require both pension and FD like the federal mm2h. All eyes are now on Sabah, if and when they decide to step forward with their own unique program.

Thatā€™s not surprising, given how incongruent Taipei rental prices and purchase prices are. I pay roughly $1,000/mo. USD to rent a place that would probably cost close to a million to buy. Thatā€™sā€¦.insane. In most places itā€™s cheaper to buy than rent, or maybe slightly more expensive, but not several times more.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers. Sounds like youā€™ve researched this quite a bit.

Iā€™m not a fan of Malaysiaā€™s MM2H program. Theyā€™ve gotten a lot of bad press, resulting in articles such as the following (I posted this on your thread in another forum):

ā€œAfter Rejecting Up to 90% of Applications, Malaysia Freezes MM2H, Againā€

ā€œAfter 21 Months, No End in Sight for MM2H Suspensionā€

ā€œā€˜Itā€™s our only homeā€™: Malaysiaā€™s changes to MM2H visa scheme throw expatsā€™ plans into chaosā€

From the above, I see that itā€™s a good idea to research the long-term visa options one is considering, in order to find out whether or not theyā€™re as rosy in actual practice as theyā€™re advertised to be.