šŸ‡¹šŸ‡­ Thailand Travelling

Shop around when changing money. The rates vary quite a bit. When I was there last April one bank was offering .705 on the NT Dollar while another just a short walk up the street was offering .861

Ironfist, the Passbook accounts are in Baht and itā€™s sufficient for foreigners to give their hotel as an address because Thailand allows short term visitors ie tourists to have these accounts. What they donā€™t allow short term visitors to have is time deposit accounts in other currencies. For that, you would have to be resident in Thailand on a longer term visa.

got it jah, never had a passbook account.

any of you get immunizations before going to Thailand? is it necessary

which banks do they sell baht in taiwan? went to 2 banks today neither sell baht :frowning:

they arenā€™t too likely to sell baht in banks here (but i may be wrong)ā€¦theyā€™ll sell it at the airport because its a turnaround of baht coming in but even then there ainā€™t much.

k thanks

Never spent any time in the islands (except for Ko Samet where I was drugged and robbed, wonā€™t be going back there in a hurry!) Enjoyed kicking around the north, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai back in 1996. Canā€™t imagine what itā€™s like now.

Most recently I visited a couple of Angkor period ruins in the Eastern (Isaan) region, Phimai and Phnom Rung.

http://travelsinasia.com/Thailand/Phimai.html
http://travelsinasia.com/Thailand/PhanomRung.html

whatā€™s up whatā€™s up, I am in Pattaya right now, I am just here to relax on the beach msotly, but any things thatā€™s a must buy here or must eat or must see attractions? anyone into croc wallet, belt, shoes or cobra skin wallet and such? I walked in in this www.pattayaversace.com on walking street. They got all kinds of rare animal skin stuff, looked prety cool but not sure if they are real. guy said usually the belt wallet or shoes will cost twice as much in USA, but only half of that in Thailand. anyone into that stuff how do you tell if itā€™s real? maybe I will buy a few

Encouraging the killing of animals for human pleasureā€¦ :bravo:

Careful. Somethings should really stay in Thailand. You might look really cool and be a clear hit with the ladyboys on Walking Street in your new snake-skin boots, but youā€™re probably going to look like a dipshit when you strut around n them back in Oklahoma.

HG

Try Mega Bank (formerly ICBC)

Iā€™m planning on flying to Bangkok in November, and staying for only 5 days. The reason Iā€™m going is so that I can get a landing visa in Taiwan after my ARC expires.
However, Iā€™m starting to wonder if Bangkok is a good choice. A roundtrip ticket costs $10,800 from Interlink Travel. I want to do the trip as cheaply as possible, so I likely wonā€™t stray too far from Bangkok. Are there any good beaches close to Bangkok? Do you need a vehicle to enjoy the national park? Would you avoid Bangkok altogether due to the political violence happening right now? Should I buy this ticket?
Bangkok experts, please advise meā€¦

Hua Hin or Koh Samet, both are within two hours of Bangkok.

What National Park? Usually, yes, unless you;re a keen hiker.

The violence is almost completely contained to the street out the front of the parliament. No need to avoid Bangkok. Even at its very worst, such as back in 1992 when hundreds were killed, the violence was limited to the focal point of the demonstrations.

No idea on ticket prices from Thailand these days

HG

If youā€™re just going for visa purposes, and trying to make it as cheap as possible, go to HK instead.

I have considered this. It saves $2,800 on air fare, but accommodations cost a lot more in HK. So I can have a longer vacation if I go to Bangkok. Also, can you swim in HK in November?

hi guys I am planning to go to Thailand again, did anyone just got back from there or know if itā€™s safe over there? They just got a new prime minister and there are still some riots here and there I believe, plan to go in 10 days just about to get the tickets

I have considered this. It saves $2,800 on air fare, but accommodations cost a lot more in HK. So I can have a longer vacation if I go to Bangkok. Also, can you swim in HK in November?[/quote]

You could stay in Macau , an hours TurboCat ride away. Last I was there the TurboCat and Jetfoils were bout 40 USD each way? Macau has cheaper hotels and if you go to the third island there is a nice beach with a great pool (most people only swim in the pool as its safer) and a nice cafe right there as well. I think theres a bus that goes out there. My cousin took me in his car so I dont know exactly. I dont think the weather is generally comfy for long swims in november though?

You are just going out of TAiwan so you can get a landing visa back in right? You can also try going to Okinawa. The airfares via Japan Airlines or China Airlines are pretty reasonable. Buy them direct from the airline (the travel agent wasnt cheaper) and hotels in Naha are nice and not expensive. When I was there in 99 , I got a great hotel for bout 60 USD a nite .

IF you have an international drivers license you can rent a car and drive around. Its pretty.

All of the demonstrations to date have been pretty much confined to the road in front of the parliament. You can go there and watch if you like. Thailand;ls not safe, but that;s more to do with drunken idiots, fervent nationalism and a machismo driving culture, nothing to do with politics or demonstrations.

Have fun!

HG

All of the demonstrations to date have been pretty much confined to the road in front of the parliament. You can go there and watch if you like. Thailand;ls not safe, but that;s more to do with drunken idiots, fervent nationalism and a machismo driving culture, nothing to do with politics or demonstrations.

Have fun!

HG[/quote]

True. Iā€™m hoping to be able to go down to the protests and get some good photos if they are still happening at CNY when Iā€™m there. A bit of craziness always makes for good photos.

Missus Huang, whoā€™s Thai, went down to check out the fun one evening, but happened to arrive just as pro-government demonstrators/ratbags turned up flashing knives and guns. A shot went off just next to her and someone was killed. She was fine, but sprained an ankle in her hasty retreat.

Remember too that Oz cameraman Neil Davis remarkably survived the full length of the Vietnam war shooting from the front lines only to be cut down by a tank in a Bangkok coup. I recently got a hold of that David Bradbury doco, Frontline, about Neil. Great stuff!

Some clips from Frontline here.

HG