That forgien grocery store on Zhongshan sec 6

There used to be a little hole in the wall grocery store in TianMu on Zhongshan sec 6. But now it’s gone, did they move? Where can I find grits? Thanks guys

if you mean the tienmu grocery on section 7 it closed last month after something like 50 years. the owners retired and there was no one to take it on.

you could try wellman’s which is on sec. 6, near the subway sandwitch store. that was open last time i went, though they said their days may be numbered too, everyone goes to costco these days…

thanks. I will try the Costco out in Yonghe, cause the one in Neihu aint gotta it. :laughing:

Since when did Yungho have a Costco?

if you’re talking about the austrian bakery (i can’t pronounce it in real life, but i think it’s spelt “beckerei”), it has moved to a much larger building right behind the police station, on the way to the carrefour supermarket

if you’re talking about the austrian bakery (I can’t pronounce it in real life, but I think it’s spelt “beckerei”), it has moved to a much larger building right behind the police station, on the way to the carrefour supermarket[/quote]

Tempo Gain could be right about s7.

The German bakery is called Wendel’s bakery, and it moved around the corner (into De Xing Rd.?) into larger premises. Excellent bread and cakes, and decent other stuff. Also meals.

no it wasn’t a bakery, but just had a lot of foreign foods, stuff to bake with and chesses galore. It had pop bottles out front, a place to hang wanted ads, and you could buy the english newspapers. Does that ring a bell?

got it! just nearby subway, right?

i don’t know if i was near subway, but it was across from a bank.

Since when did Yonghe have anything??? :raspberry:

yeah that was the tienmu grocery. wellmans is down a few blocks from the american school, same side, near subway. give it a shot

the tian Mou grocery was probably the oldest shop catering to foreigners. UNtil 3 years ago there was always the grandma sitting on the veranda, to watch things … until she passed away.

Then they were trying to give the business to somebody else, but I guess with the arrival of Cosco, most foreigners do their shopping in supermarkets, so it’s hard to survive…

Does anybody know who will be the new tenant in the shop?

[quote=“Pfeffersack”]the Tianmu grocery was probably the oldest shop catering to foreigners. UNtil 3 years ago there was always the grandma sitting on the veranda, to watch things … until she passed away.

Then they were trying to give the business to somebody else, but I guess with the arrival of Cosco, most foreigners do their shopping in supermarkets, so it’s hard to survive…

Does anybody know who will be the new tenant in the shop?[/quote]

looks like some random store is moving in.

Grandma passed away, but not 3 years ago. She and the store will be missed. Probably Carrefour will move in.

just passed by and asked the workers there … not Carrefour, but a golf-shop will move in …

I don’t know if this is true, I’m just reporting what I read:

At wannabemyfriend.com/archives/2004_03.html

I have difficulty accepting the above statement. I’ll keep scrounging around on the 'net and see if I can find anything.

xp+10 you are a sweet heart :notworthy:

Can you really get at Costco all the stuff this store used to have? I used to buy whole wheat flour, split peas, canned chick peas, good avocadoes, and other things that were really hard to find in other places. I only went to Costco a few times as they seemed to carry very little that I couldn’t find in my local supermarket.

Twenty different styles of instant noodles but not much else.

Mucha man, that;s what Im talkin about!!! where is that little hole in the wall. (cryin)

I thought that maybe if I could find out the Chinese term for hominy grits, I’d have better luck searching, but so far, I haven’t had any luck.

When I typed in hominy on babelfish.altavista.com, I got 碎玉米粥. This translates back, on the same translating program, as “garrulous maize gruel.” The American Heritage Dictionary defines garrulous as “Given to excessive and often trivial or rambling talk; tiresomely talkative. Wordy and rambling: a garrulous speech.” At dictionary.reference.com/search?q=garrulous

Now, I’ve been accused of being garrulous before, but I don’t understand how hominy can be so considered. Also, in my experience, hominy is not a gruel; it is, rather, corn which has been soaked in a solution of potash and water (to the reader: please don’t try this at home). The corn maintains its integrity, so to speak, and does not disintegrate into a gruel. It’s rather puffy (tasty, too!), but not gruelly (if that’s a word, or even if it isn’t).

Typing in grits on babelfish will give you the Chinese term for a kind of sand or sand-like material used in certain crafts or industries, e.g., “diamond grits,” as I discovered by pasting this Chinese term in the google search box. So I left babelfish’s grits alone.

The webpage at taiwantp.net/cgi/roadbbs.pl? … t&post=242 renders “hominy grits” as 玉米, which babelfish, in turn, renders as corn.

I went to Hong Kong Dictionary at hk.dictionary.yahoo.com/dict?s=hominy+grits and it told me that hominy grits are (白玉米)玉米粗粉 , which babelfish translates as “(white corn) corn cribble.” Cribble is very coarsely ground grain.

And I did many other such things, and learned that there are also corn groats and that there is a Chinese word for such. But I couldn’t find any grits in Taiwan.

I haven’t given up yet, though, trying to reach the unreachable grits, “For I know, if I’ll only be true to this glorious quest, / That my heart will lie peaceful and still when I’m laid to my rest.”–“The Impossible Dream,” from Man of La Mancha.

For more information on hominy, including a recipe for it (again, I’m not sure the recipe is safe), please see “Native Recipes,” at kstrom.net/isk/food/r_corn.html