That Lien-Hu meeting

Anyone have any thoughts about what will be the outcome of tomorrows meeting? Here’s an article which lists some of the possibilities.:

An interesting possibility. I guess the civil war was between the KMT & the CCP … not between the PRC & the ROC. There’d be an ‘interesting’ reaction to that in Taiwan.

[quote]Taiwan’s mass circulation United Daily News said Hu also would offer Taiwan gifts in each of his meetings with Lien and Soong in the form of a Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement, which would eliminate import taxes on Taiwan farm goods and other products.

Hu has also agreed to let Taiwan participate in international forums which do not require sovereignty, such as the World Health Assembly, the daily said.[/quote]
Presumably, both of these offers would be predicated on acceptance of the ‘one china’ principle though …

Heh. Lien Chan gives Hu a book by his grandpa, and Hu gives Lien a couple of the rarest and most famous animals on the planet :laughing:

My Comrade Hu personal gift guesses:

1. Idiots Guide to Becoming President. (book)
  2. Civet cat fur jacket for the Mrs. - freshly skinned while alive.
  3. Mickey Mouse type watch with Mao/LienChan waving hands
  4. Black gold cufflinks
  5. Copy DVD collection of his historic trip
  6. Ceremonial KMT/CCP Opium Peace Pipe
  7. Tour of Silkworm missile factory

If Lien gets the pandas this will be a real PR coup. We all know how the Taiwanese go nuts for new animals at the zoo (remember the koalas plastered over the MRT trains for a year?), and everyone will associate the cute, cuddly pandas with China and Lien. It’ll be all over the news for months, my kindie kids will all be sporting new panda T-shirts, and everybody will be saying how great it was that the KMT could actually make “progress” with China.

This whole affair makes me sick, mostly because it is all brilliant from the pan-blue/China camp’s point of view.

Panda diplomacy. The headlines will say.

I prefer “Panda-ing to the opposition” :laughing:

Let’s all hope there’s no more “panda-monium” at the airport when Lien returns!

I’m less interested in what Hu and Lien talk about behind closed doors than in what Lien says in public at BeiDa.

If he makes the point that Taiwan is a democracy, and that any form of reunification is dependent upon the consent of the people of Taiwan, than I think his trip will have been positive.

If he justs blathers on about warm feelings and the great future of the united Chinese people, than it’s ‘venda la patria’.

See if the words 民主 or 自由 pass his lips.

[quote=“MikeN”]
See if the words 民主 or 自由 pass his lips.[/quote]

Hey let me get this straight, if there is peace between the parties and an official end to civil war, does this mean the KMT can run for offices in the PRC or will they sit back like the other 8 parties in the PRC and be puppeted around?

I think you got your history a little mixed up. The CCP use to be a party in the ROC. The KMT was never a party in the PRC.

Actually there is a KMT in China. Its full name is the Zhongguo Guomindang Geming Weiyuanhui, and they’re one of the official opposition parties.

The 8 Opposition Political Parties of China

In general though they merely take turns applauding the CCP although they occasionally do voice concerns that are approved by the CCP.

China Revolutionary Committee of the Kuomingtang
Founded in January 1948
Membership: over 53,000, mainly of former Kuomintang members and those who have historical connections with the Kuomintang.
Chairperson: Ms. Luli He

China Democratic League
Founded in October 1941
Membership: 130,000, mostly intellectuals at high and medium levels.
Chairman: Professor Shisun Ding

China Democratic National Construction Association
Founded in December 1945.
Membership: more than 69,000 members, mainly connected with the economic sphere or experts and scholars.
Chairman: Mr. Siwei Cheng

China Association for Promoting Democracy
Founded in December 1945
Membership: over 65,000, most of them are intellectuals working in the educational, cultural, scientific and publishing fields.
Chairman: Mr. Jialu Xu

Chinese Peasants’ and Workers’ Democratic Party
Founded in August 1930
Membership: more than 65,000, most of them work in the fields of public health, culture and education, science and technology.
Chairman: Zhenghua Jiang

China Zhi Gong Dang
Founded in October 1925
Membership: more than 15,000. Most of them are returned overseas Chinese and their relatives, experts, scholars and representative personages with overseas connections.
Chairman: Mr. Haocai Luo

Jiu San Society
Founded in December 1944
Membership: more than 68,000, mostly high-and medium-level intellectuals working in the fields of science, technology, culture, education and medicine.
Chairman: Mr. Jieping Wu

Taiwan Democratic Self-government League
Founded in November 1947
Membership: over 1,600, made up mostly of prominent personages who were either from or have family roots in Taiwan but now reside on the mainland.
Chairman: Mr. Kehui Zhang

[quote]China Revolutionary Committee of the Kuomingtang
Founded in January 1948
Membership: over 53,000, mainly of former Kuomintang members and those who have historical connections with the Kuomintang.
Chairperson: Ms. Luli He [/quote]

What? Many of the original members of the KMT that came over to Taiwan are retired or dead. I don’t even want to know the average age of the PRC version of the KMT.

This whole episode reminds of of the scene in the Matrix where the guy was eating the steak and saying "I know this isn

[quote=“4nr”]This whole episode reminds of of the scene in the Matrix where the guy was eating the steak and saying "I know this isn

I believe that that is the official title for any ex-KMT Chairman. However, I’m not sure whether LTH has to die first for the title to pass to Lien Chan.

The better question to ask is, why should the CCP trust T.I.ers in the Taiwan government, who have no credibility to lose after giving lies every other day? As for trusting the CCP, nobody gives a hoot whether T.I.ers do or not. Many, even anti-Communists like Nixon, have sat down with Mao-era CCP to work things out. But T.I.ers obviously have no such calibre of statesmen but only third-rate genital-mouthing “foreign ministers” and the ilk.

Please revise your quote…I didn’t write that. Thank you.

I hope that Lien enjoys his trip to China so much that he decides to stay there.

[quote=“MikeN”]I’m less interested in what Hu and Lien talk about behind closed doors than in what Lien says in public at BeiDa.

If he makes the point that Taiwan is a democracy, and that any form of reunification is dependent upon the consent of the people of Taiwan, than I think his trip will have been positive.

If he justs blathers on about warm feelings and the great future of the united Chinese people, than it’s ‘venda la patria’.

[/quote]

Yes the main point has the be the consent of the people of Taiwan, held thru a referendum… Too bad the PRC won’t be allowed to vote. I think a serious vote for re-unification would fail by a large majority of 90% no to 10% yes