That's it! ICRT can go to hell

ICRT was amusingly bad when I came here in 1992 except for the news and current affairs, and has steadily worsened over the years. I only hear it when taxi drivers put it on, and there’s not a whole lot of English on there now. Way to go. Do away with your main strength, and compete with modern pop radio stations in Mandarin. The day that the BBC World Service Radio Chinese Service hire me and my beer buddies to babble in broken Mandarin and play 80s Mandopop is the day that I will admit ICRT has a business plan.

It was all down hill after they fired Capt. Tim wasn’t it?

When I first came and didn’t know better, I was in awe of his Mandarin traffic report.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Battery9, one ICRT DJ dedicates a lot of time to promoting animal welfare - especially the work that AT does.

I’ve never heard him talk about dogs’ boobs or bums, if that helps.[/quote]
Why not? That’s specie-ist! Nothing wrong with dog’s bums! At least if you’re a dog…

[quote=“Dragonbones”]ICRT always had a couple decent people, and the rest was awful. I don’t recall complaining about Jeff Mendish or Bill Theisson, for instance. I used to like the news, and the jazz show. Otherwise I hated the station. That was 15 to 10 years ago. I haven’t listened to it in at least 10 years.

Do what I did – turn on a local station like the education station, and leave it on for 5 years. It’s good for your listening comprehension.[/quote]
How do I find the education station? AM? FM?

Actually, she’s right about that: The two ABC’s they have on, (girl in the late morning and guy in the afternoon), get a little yellow for public radio. The Ron Stewart at night, well, I don’t like yelling, so…

Just curious: are there any other English language (DJ) radio stations on this rock?

[quote=“Elegua”]It was all down hill after they fired Capt. Tim wasn’t it?

When I first came and didn’t know better, I was in awe of his Mandarin traffic report.[/quote]

Lol Cap’n Tim… a staple of my ICRT listening classes, god help my soul.

ner.gov.tw/ner_en/index.php?code=list&ids=17

There’s also Shishin radio, around AM730, which broadcasts some BBC in the middle morning and early evening (followed by an English learning program). On weekends sometimes they have a German station.

[quote=“Elegua”]It was all down hill after they fired Capt. Tim wasn’t it?

When I first came and didn’t know better, I was in awe of his Mandarin traffic report.[/quote]

Yeah that was excellent. I spend most of my time listening to the Police Radio Station in taxis now. “And there’s a man walking backwards on his hands down Bei Yi Gao, guangzhong pengyou yao liu yi yi xia…” etc etc

That must be the looser with the tampons in his nose. (Donald Duck sound)
I heard him presenting with the not so bad female DJ, and I guess ICRT’s guideline to him was to act as 50% of Beavis and Buthead.
Well, he does succeeded. He is making a fool of himself and downgrading ICRT further than hell…

I neither like the guy whom screams constantly, but hey, others might find him funny (if you’re 13)

99.7 Wave Radio. Get past the sometimes interminable babblemouth that goes on there and they play decent classical stuff. There’s a very very cool jazz show on late at night. Midnight to 2am? Well worth listening to.
ICRT is what it is. A terribly underfunded dinosaur long since past its sell-by date. It once had a modicum of relevance. That’s about the best you can say about it. Gavin Phipps is BLOODY FANTASIC, though (I have to say that since he’s my friend. And you would NEVER catch him talking about women’s bottoms on the radio.
Unless there was an angle.)

I’m not sure what’s grating the OP’s cheese - ICRT sucks balls because it’s way too PC and safe. The last thing they need is even MORE censorship.

The whole station is a parody of awful cheesy college radio. WA-HAY-HAY, we’re so ZANY!! I’m talking about girl’s BOTTOMS!! And now another live read from another shitty, boring, lifeless hack DJ.

We just need one presenter to say their boss is a cunt or tell a caller to go fuck themselves, just to open the floodgates. Come on, take one for the team.

I’ve been other places where there was only one English radio station and everybody hated them too. If there’s only one, then they are doomed, because it’s impossible to please everyone.

(especially if they have puerile DJs playing commercial crap)

I actually don’t think it’s that bad. You have to understand that they are trying to please everybody on a low budget. I don’t listen to it very much, but I am glad that it is there.

I don’t mind the music at all. But I listen to music to relax or feel good and then when you have to be reminded that some guy is watching your ass while you ride a bike… :doh:

ugh.

It’s not just that…there’s this new ad on too…saying something about things you need to know to be someone’s girlfriend. I just find it all seriously funny if youre 13.

Thanks, DB. I’ll give it a listen.