The 180 Day Rule for Naturalization

I just want to clarify… on the thread here, it says you can’t leave taiwan for more than 180 days at a time… now… is that all? Does that mean 180 days per year or 180 sequential days?

Basically I live in kaohsiung, but i work in Canada, I stay in taiwan 3 weeks out of every month. I havent even applied for an ARC since I don’t need a Visa as I leave more than 24 hours every 30 days. I can get an ARC thats not a problem, I would like to get a citizenship here eventually so just want to make sure if i need to be in taiwan 185 days / year or just cant leave taiwan more than 180 days AT A TIME… to me, there is a huge difference between the two!

Thanks experts =D

Jerome

After reading your posting, I cannot decide if
(1) you know what you are trying to ask about, but have just done a very poor job of writing it down, – or –
(2) you are confused about what you are trying to clarify.

Hence, it is hard to give you some relevant answers.

However, I would point out that there is no requirement for an ARC holder to be physically present in Taiwan for 183 days or more per year.

You shot who in the what now?

According to some posts here you can’t leave Taiwan at over for a year, or is it longer while the paperwork is processed. You have to spend some time stateless, which makes travel impossible too.

Hartzell: Did I really do a poor job explaining myself? I thought i was fairly concise, but I’ll try to explain this again…

I just want to know if, in order to become a citizen through naturalization (not in order to hold an ARC), you have to be present in Taiwan for more than 185 days / year, or, if you can be present for say 100 days / year and simply never have left Taiwan for more than 180 days AT A TIME.

I’m not here teaching English, I’m here because I love Taiwan and because I publish Chinese pop music, I earn my money outside of Taiwan I just don’t need to to work that often so I spend most of my time in Taiwan (on average, I’m in Taiwan for 75% of the year, but I leave Taiwan every single month). Maybe that clarifies the situation more?

[quote]However, I would point out that there is no requirement for an ARC holder to be physically present in Taiwan for 183 days or more per year.[/quote] This is useful information I never even thought to ask, since I know you need to hold the ARC in order to get the citizenship.

[quote]According to some posts here you can’t leave Taiwan at over for a year, or is it longer while the paperwork is processed. You have to spend some time stateless, which makes travel impossible too.[/quote] <-- hmm… this would suck for me cuz I would have to take a one year leave of absense from my job if that’s the case

If you are planning to go through the “citizenship” routine, then you must be in the process of making inquiries with the local Household Registration Office (HRO) in your location of residence. To my knowledge, that office would be the one which will process your paperwork.

As I have not had the occasion to talk to Household Registration Office officials or Ministry of the Interior officials about this procedure over the last few years, I will pose the obvious question …

Why don’t you ask the helpful ladies at your local HRO and see what they say??

JXD : the answer to your question is simple: you only need to spend a total aggregate of 183 days in taiwan per year. They calculate the year from Jan 1st to Dec 31st, so (for example) if you left taiwan in early september this year, you could stay out of the country for, say 200 days, come back next year - but then you’d have to spend most of next year in tawian to make up your 183 day quotient for that year.

Also, you dont have to stay in taiwan for one year after you naturalize. You can leave whenever you like. It just means you can’t collect your ID for 2 years if you do. The advantage in staying one whole year is that you can get you ID immediately after that year is up.

So for you travelling to Nth. america, it should not be a problem. The ID is handy, but not critical. But if you want to visit HK, China or macau, you must have your ID, otherwise you can’t get a Tai Bao Zhen (you can’t get in using a taiwan passport).

JXD : the answer to your question is simple: you only need to spend a total aggregate of 183 days in taiwan per year. They calculate the year from Jan 1st to Dec 31st, so (for example) if you left taiwan in early september this year, you could stay out of the country for, say 200 days, come back next year - but then you’d have to spend most of next year in tawian to make up your 183 day quotient for that year.

Also, you dont have to stay in taiwan for one year after you naturalize. You can leave whenever you like. It just means you can’t collect your ID for 2 years if you do. The advantage in staying one whole year is that you can get you ID immediately after that year is up.

So for you travelling to Nth. america, it should not be a problem. The ID is handy, but not critical. But if you want to visit HK, China or macau, you must have your ID, otherwise you can’t get a Tai Bao Zhen (you can’t get in using a taiwan passport).