The 1st World Cup Tai Chi Chuan Championship

If you have any interest in Taiji, you’ll want to check this out. If you’d like to compete, there might still be time even though it’s past the deadline (I called today and will be emailing them my information tomorrow.)

There will be a fixed step and moving step pushhands competition. The best way for me to describe moving step is like sumo for skinny people. It’s what I’m looking forward to most and what I plan to win :smiley:.

It’ll be November 4th and 5th (sat and sun) and is located at the Taipei Arena on Dunhua and Nanjing.

cttaichi.org/english/news02_view.php?id=11

I only have 2.5 weeks to get ready. If anyone would like to help me train a couple nights a week or on weekends, that’d be cool. What I’d basically need is a big strong guy/gal, or someone that already has some Taiji skill.

There will also be for competitions and stuff, but I’m not interested in that stuff, it’s all on the website.

Edit: [This is what moving step looks like]

ok

Good luck MTK!

Bodo

My wife and I did an article on the main group which is sponsoring this event. The group is the ROC Tai Chi Association and the article appeared in Taiwan Review and can be found at:
taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?x … CtNode=119

Although for some reason the august Taiwanese GIO does not include the wonderbar photos in the cyber-edition of the piece.

One comment I would make and this maybe obvious to Casey or anyone else who has had experience with Taiwanese martial arts—these tourneys are highly politicized. Worse even, or maybe on par with, California tourneys. Basically the image to keep in your mind is: Taiwanese Legislative Yuan does taiji; with all the horror that would involve.

That pretty much sums it up. I mention this here because my article for the government magazine makes the Taiwanese taiji world sound like all peaches and cream—and it ain’t.

Having said that, these tourneys, or so I am told, I can’t say as I have ever been to one, are quite the pomp and circumstances extravaganzas and it is probably well worth going to just to see the range of Taiwanese taiji. Plus you can be amazed at “Southern Taiwanese Taiji” which involves overweight betel nut chewing hick country gangsters with ciggies hanging out of their mouths–walking though a Yang style taiji set. Such things are real photo ops!

Take care,
Grandmaster Chang San-feng Brian
Taoist Immortal and author

Whatever happens, I know it’s going to be a good time.

Here’s another good video: youtube.com/watch?v=phLBusl2BRA

MTK -
Good luck and cool vids.
But seriously, thats about as “Tai Chi Chuan” as my goldfish.
I see nothing but small circle ju-jitsu with some leg traps and hip throws. Plus a lot of simply tossing the opponent off the mat. No that there’s anything wrong with that. No Sumo slaps so I won’t use that comparison.
Distance, timing and leverage looks to be the name of the game in this particular venue.
Good Luck to you!

aka Taichi :smiley:

I don’t think there’s any way to get to the “higher level” taichi stuff without going through this rougher version first. Anyone that I’ve met that I thought had real Taichi skill (2 people 50 something and 80 something) both paid their dues in tournaments like that.

aka Taichi :smiley:

I don’t think there’s any way to get to the “higher level” taichi stuff without going through this rougher version first. Anyone that I’ve met that I thought had real Taichi skill (2 people 50 something and 80 something) both paid their dues in tournaments like that.[/quote]

Completely 100% agree.

I saw in the China Post today that they had an “International” taiji competition down in the gangster capitol of Taiwan–scenic Chaiyi. You could have seen some real “Southern Style Taichi” down there. Plus I am sure the tourney would have had fair, impartial and professional judging.

On a Taoist side note, my scholarly research has shown that Taiwan pee-jow (beer) is the real elixir of Taoist immortality or is that immorality?

yours in Taoist martial arts,
Brian

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]On a Taoist side note, my scholarly research has shown that Taiwan pee-jow (beer) is the real elixir of Taoist immortality or is that immorality?

yours in Taoist martial arts,
Brian[/quote]
My findings tell me the same thing.

Miltown Kid, if I remember right you had a post awhile back looking for a real estate agent to help you find a place to rent for martial arts training. Good luck in that regard. If you need anything please let me know; although real estate law is not my strong suit.

take care,
Brian

Will there be a cage match to determine the winner?

I wish :smiling_imp:

I’ve been told the pushing begins at 12:30 tomorrow. It’s going to be held at the Taipei arena thing on Nanjing and Dunhua.

This is gonna be good…

Good luck. I am sure you will do very well. :beer:

Won everything so far. I’m 4 matches away from getting gold fixed step and 2 matches away from getting a gold in moving step.

If anyone wants to see the “grand finally” things start at 8:00am tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I’ll upload some video before I go to sleep, but don’t bet on it.

I can’t stay up any longet waiting for the video to OK. It wasn’t working when I posted this, but it should be real soon.

youtube.com/watch?v=sJQwKrT4eCQ

It’s a quick clip of moving step and round 3 of my first fixed step match.

That throw was beautiful. Looks great!
Keep your concentration and you are going to do it.
I am sure you are going to win or be runner up for moving step, but curious to know if you can do it for fixed step to !
Nice going and a sweet video :bravo:

“I will kick your ass and do it slowly!”

You need to get your game face on and do a high volume Samuel L Jackson version of that line before you step in the ring.

GO BRO!!! Aqua Teen Hunger Force power!

Good Job.

Be sure to post more of those vids when ya get a chance.

It’s 9:49am…you should be tossin someone at this very moment.