The ABC club is a weird group

NO NO , RT Mart, because , after all, if its good enough for the aborigine its good enough for the ABC.

NO NO , RT Mart, because , after all, if its good enough for the aborigine its good enough for the ABC.[/quote]

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :thumbsup: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“mike029”][quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mike029”]
When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone "Why would I do that?![/quote]
Sounds like she thought you were hitting on her (which might explain her response).
[/quote]

Yeah, I was hitting on her when discussing plans to watch fireworks with a group of friends. If she thought I was hitting on her then she’s even more of a bitch. Her reaction was more to the tune of “I’m not gonna stand outside on the street with those poor people that can’t get into this amazing club”…which is literally next door to 101 so I have no idea how anyone could enjoy the fireworks from there…

Drinking definitely gives you loose lips, but those thoughts had to exist somewhere before they came out of the person’s mouth. This is a typical problem with ABCs whose parents are from Taiwan. They get brainwashed into the TW independence thing by their parents (not intentionally, but that’s because TW is all they know about China (Greater China) besides what their parents tell them, and this island is their heritage). They get really defensive of TW, even when they have absolutely no connection to the place except that their parents were born here. For a lot of them, TW is a special place because the only time they ever spend here is on vacation or CNY or something, this place only holds good memories for them. They’re here on their parents dime and have an aunt or uncle they can always call for help or get them a job/apartment/whatever. A lot of them that start to live here after a while can’t take it anymore and go back to the US. I’ve noticed the ABC club is on a constant rotation here.[/quote]

You say this like , somehow it was a BAD thing ? :laughing:

Know what would be pretty cool tho? If we could get HER point of view on your tit-a-tat with her? I mean like what shes really saying you know? Not what you think shes sayin?

[quote=“mike029”][quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mike029”]
When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone "Why would I do that?![/quote]
Sounds like she thought you were hitting on her (which might explain her response).
[/quote]

Yeah, I was hitting on her when discussing plans to watch fireworks with a group of friends. If she thought I was hitting on her then she’s even more of a bitch. Her reaction was more to the tune of “I’m not gonna stand outside on the street with those poor people that can’t get into this amazing club”…which is literally next door to 101 so I have no idea how anyone could enjoy the fireworks from there…
[/quote]

I was merely trying to approach your situation from an objective standpoint. Maybe there’s something you don’t know about her plans for the evening. Perhaps she was supposed to meet up with friends in the club. Perhaps there is something you neglected to describe which greatly affected the way you interpreted her response.

And it also depends on how you carried yourself when you were suggesting to go watch the fireworks. Perhaps you sounded like you were asking her on a date. “So, uh…you want to go outside and watch the fireworks? And then maybe we can go clubbing after the fireworks are over?”

It’s not just ABCs that respond in such a manner. Generally, when females of the mammalian species of homo sapiens feels threatened by the presence of what she feels is a possible predator, she will engage her defensive instincts. It has been observed that at times the male will retreat and cast sideways glances at the female while muttering the word “bitch”. Psychologically downgrading the female from homo sapiens to canis lupus familiaris seems to bring satisfaction to the wounded male. National Geographic music in the background

[quote=“mike029”]

[quote=“Gryphon”]

[quote=“mike029”]
Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn’t be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME. [/quote]

Sounds like they were drunk and they lost the ability to make sound judgments. Generally speaking, I think people who are drunk with a blood alcohol level above a certain percentage tend to act like complete idiots. Don’t take it personally, even if their comments were directed at you. They were drunk when they spoke. And if they were sober, they might have thought twice before speaking such inane comments.[/quote]

Drinking definitely gives you loose lips, but those thoughts had to exist somewhere before they came out of the person’s mouth. This is a typical problem with ABCs whose parents are from Taiwan. They get brainwashed into the TW independence thing by their parents (not intentionally, but that’s because TW is all they know about China (Greater China) besides what their parents tell them, and this island is their heritage). They get really defensive of TW, even when they have absolutely no connection to the place except that their parents were born here. For a lot of them, TW is a special place because the only time they ever spend here is on vacation or CNY or something, this place only holds good memories for them. They’re here on their parents dime and have an aunt or uncle they can always call for help or get them a job/apartment/whatever. A lot of them that start to live here after a while can’t take it anymore and go back to the US. I’ve noticed the ABC club is on a constant rotation here.[/quote]

Think of it this way, ABCs coming to TW for CNY is a little like college kids going to Mexico during spring break. Their mindset is already wrong before they step foot in the country. And if you frequent the places they go to, then these are the only ABCs you’ll ever meet. So would it be fair for you to base your judgement of all ABCs solely on your negative experiences?

Every individual should be given a chance for an unbiased encounter. But if you write off a whole group of people because of a few bad experiences, then you could be missing out on great friendships in the future. :2cents:

:thumbsup: Well said. We are all guilty of over-generalising.

If you don’t care for a certain segment of society, then why bother hanging out anywhere near them?
Unless it’s for social research, one would be well advised to steer clear of whatever gets one’s goat.

Exactly, the OP assumes every ABC is like the 20 somethings he tags along with at all the douchebag poseur bars (Spark, Primo etc…), fuckin hell, if whitey was judged solely on our representation at those bastions of vodka red bull we’d have a way worse rep here than we already do.

Let me take a wild guess: perhaps that segment of society got the hot babes whom the OP longs for? :discodance: :whistle:

Let me take a wild guess: perhaps that segment of society got the hot babes whom the OP longs for? :discodance: :whistle:[/quote]

Yup, me thinks that the OP is not yet ready to handle the Taiwanese girls due to possibly not speaking enough chinese and thought , "hey? ABC girls are Taiwanese girls too and they speak english " But then he found out ABC girls are really American girls . Look same same as TW girls but not same same (as sam wong would say).

What is it about the Op’s love of the davids and not the jessicas do you guys not get?

In any case, this sounds like a young dude who’s discovered he can’t keep up with the rich kids and so wants to slag them off for being superficial. Yawn.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]What is it about the Op’s love of the davids and not the jessicas do you guys not get?

In any case, this sounds like a young dude who’s discovered he can’t keep up with the rich kids and so wants to slag them off for being superficial. Yawn.[/quote]

Yeah I couldnt really get my head round the david thing. Is he after the dudes or the chicks?

But to be fair, 3000 cover charge just to get in (and then you gotta buy drinks and food) is a bit steep and really you DONT have to go there. IM sure there are other places of better value and perhaps MORE fun. I can lay out that sum if I really want to. But I do NOT like to be fleeced. Especially if it seems the place is populated with the wrong demographics for me to do a “take away” . :smiley: That place seemed the wrong demographics for our young cowboy.

He would be better off trying that line bout going out to see fireworks and clubbing (a proper separating the target from the herd approach) with regular TW girls who perhaps dont know all the tricks, or will roll with you if they like you. TW girls DO like suggestions and follow up suggestions. You go up to one that actually likes you and she might (if shes alone) take u up on your suggestion of fireworks and clubbing elsewhere. It DOES work, not a dumb line at all. BUT, be prepared to be shot down. Then graciously leave her alone. Who knows, if shes interested and keeps an eye out on you she might approach you a bit later.

Clubbing is just that, a bat to the brain.
Anyone that circles that cycle deserves even more…
Due to a complete lack of entity, and no experience.

I suggest they all listen to this:

I know ‘David Chen’ and he is a lovely fella. But that’s coming from a Brit, so what do I know? :wink: Take each person as they come. If they are a dick, don’t bother with them. If they are nice, include them as one of your friends. It’s as simple as that! :sunglasses:

I don’t get this hate for ABC’s. The Taiwanese don’t like us, the “normal Americans” don’t like us either.

I was marginalized and physically assaulted for being an ABC. We get all the responsibility of being Taiwanese (long work hours, low pay, all the Chinese family responsibilities) but none of the benefits (having a higher preference, better pay if teaching English, etc.) so please stop complaining about how arrogant ABC’s are. Some may deserve that treatment but its unfair to say all ABC’s are arrogant just because of a few. That’s like saying all whites are rich and racist.

Some of us didn’t choose to come to this island.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]I don’t get this hate for ABC’s. The Taiwanese don’t like us, the “normal Americans” don’t like us either.

I was marginalized and physically assaulted for being an ABC. We get all the responsibility of being Taiwanese (long work hours, low pay, all the Chinese family responsibilities) but none of the benefits (having a higher preference, better pay if teaching English, etc.) so please stop complaining about how arrogant ABC’s are. Some may deserve that treatment but its unfair to say all ABC’s are arrogant just because of a few. That’s like saying all whites are rich and racist.

Some of us didn’t choose to come to this island.[/quote]

I like most of the ABCs I know, I think the OP is just butthurt.

:astonished:

I hope we never meet. :laughing:

I like ABC’s, but they do seem by and large to only want to be friends with other ABC’s. That is only an impression I have, and may be incorrect.

sure they are clique-ish but im sure you can break in. JUst have to have one good bud who is an ABC and you are in.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”]All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20’s anymore. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Whereas I rather wish I could still be that age, but enjoying what’s available rather than hankering after what isn’t.