The Abortion Debate Thread

I have never argued whether abortion is right or not in this thread, so I’m not sure what you have thought is the context of this thread.

1 Like

Then what did you mean by saying “many murders are justified”?

Do you think murder is right because it’s justified by a law?

I cannot answer without knowing what you mean by “murder is right”.

Meaning do you have any moral objection to murder when, as you said, it’s justified by law?

ex. Self-defense, Euthanasia, Act of war, Capital punishment, etc.

1 Like

Ok. Let’s pick war. Do you have any moral objection to soldiers being killed during battle?

Also keep in mind that in all your examples requires the murdered party either did some serious crime, or volunteered to go into battle. Quite different from abortion.

who are they?

It is not something right or wrong. It is war. I have moral objection to war, but when war occors, soldiers being killed is unavoidable.

not sure about this.

in all your examples requires the murdered party either did some serious crime, or volunteered to go into battle. Quite different from abortion.

How if continuing pregnancy will kill mother? It is sure a fetus has no will to do any harm to mother nor have no will to be created, so fetus should have priority over mother’s life?

2 Likes

You said you don’t know if Brianjones’s statement is correct that non ‘pro-lifers’ are the majority here in Taiwan, so I posted a poll result that looks supporting the statement. What other context do you need on it?

That’s certainly not the case for the vast majority of pregnancies.

You mean it is not the case for the vast majority of pregnancies, so you don’t consider that kind of cases?

Not being the vast majority does not equate to being non existent.

Virtually non existent.

First discuss the majority of abortions. Where the baby poses absolutely no risk to the mother. Then I’ll be happy to discuss virtually non existent edge cases.

The baby can’t exist independently of the mother. The mother’s bodily autonomy is an issue and takes precedence over rights of the non-independently viable fetus.

3 Likes

First discuss the majority of abortions. Where the baby poses absolutely no risk to the mother. Then I’ll be happy to discuss virtually non existent edge cases.

So, you give priority to the majority, and ignore the minority…

Actually, I don’t have much will to discuss on the rightness/wrongness of abortion here. My interest on this thread is whether non pro-life is majority in taiwan or not. And my next interest is the few edge cases. I don’t have much interest in discussing with you on the vast majority of abortions.

2 Likes

Early abortion is the same to murder as making love to your spouse is to child rape.

Out with the abortion jokes now?

I didn’t think so.

I am talking about the majority of abortions, not edge cases at all. Why did you repeat that?

Firstly, in most cases the fetus (baby) is viable. Yes it is depending upon its mother during a critical part of its life. That dependence doesn’t mean the mother has the right to end the baby’s life any more than a mother has the right to kill the baby after it’s born.

No, certainly not until a certain age, say 7 months, maybe 6?

It’s a conflict of rights, but I am saying a person’s right to autonomy over their own body takes precedence. After the baby is born, it’s capable of living without the mother’s assistance. When the fetus is not viable, there is no right for it to impose its will in some way on the mother and her body.

2 Likes