The Abortion Debate Thread

And many women will choose abortion anyway because they don’t want to have a child right now, or don’t want to have a child with this partner, or don’t want to carry a pregnancy to term and give the child away to strangers, no matter how good the facilities or social programs are.

But our instinct won’t change bc we want it to.

So what explains below-replacement level birth rates in affluent countries … like Taiwan, Sweden, or the USA?

What if she is anti-government investment in say funding abortions?

Ayn Rand was strongly against government paying for anything except cops, courts, and soldiers, and was extremely pro-choice:

An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living (or the unborn).

Abortion is a moral right—which should be left to the sole discretion of the woman involved; morally, nothing other than her wish in the matter is to be considered. Who can conceivably have the right to dictate to her what disposition she is to make of the functions of her own body?"

do you think it is the same when you use abortion pill for unwanted pregnancy? How about morning after pill?

With the exception of her own health care.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know. I guess it would be better than waiting. I used birth control pills until I wanted children. At about 6 weeks, I felt sick in morning and early afternoon. I also was hypersensitive, cry at anything and needed more rest. You definitely know there’s a baby on the way. By 4 months, I remember feeling the baby feel my emotions. I was in a fender bender and it was startling to me and my unborn child. By month 7, they’re moving around kicking your ribs and stepping on your bladder. One of mine seemed to be doing jumping jacks, and somersaults enough to wake his father up.

Wealthier and more educated people have fewer babies. The instinct doesn’t disappear though.

I would think those two things explain the low birth rates in Japan and Taiwan. :idunno:

Is the science settled?

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3211703

do you think all of frozen embryos in the world should be implanted or kept till artificial uterus coming and given their chances to be born?

I’m still waiting for your answer to this too.

You don’t answer because

1. You ignore them and don’t consider, because they are minority or by whatever reasons.
  2. You have conflicting/mixed thoughts, and cannot answer yes or no.
  3. You have your answer but hide it for whatever purpose
  4. You have forgotten.

Which one?

Or something else. I think this is a difficult issue, and boxing someone in is counter productive.

I slightly edited the options. Do you think of any other possibilities? Of course, any other answer from @welcome will be welcomed. No need to choose from the four options.

For Welcome? No. I just told you I think that kind of discourse is counter productive.

I don’t think they should be frozen in the first place.

…because…?

There’s enough people in the world already.

Really? That’s it? Did you know that the world’s population tripled since WW2 because of all the peace, security and better food production? It’s a sign of our success. Some countries have added three decades onto life expectancy. That’s tremendous.

But what if the best ones have yet to arrive?

They’ll come without frozen eggs.

Why? Are they banning them?

maybe they should not have been frozen. But, as a matter of fact, there do exist numerous of frozen embryos, that you think being humans. How should they be treated in your opinion?

I have no idea. Again it’s not something I agree with.

1 Like

I got it.

there being lots of frozen embryos is a fact, and not something we agree or disagree with.

Do you mean you are against they have been frozen in the first place, so you don’t care about the lives of those existing embryos?

1 Like

I’m against it in the first place for many reasons. Most of which is that the world’s population is already growing. It’s not essential that this technology even exists.

I do care about the lives of existing embryos. And I think whomever initiated them are ultimately responsible for what happens to them.

I can’t stop someone having an abortion, I also can’t stop those existing embryos being destroyed.