The Adlon Restaurant and Bar Taipei

New place open I don’t know what’s going on with the happy hour though because some things are cheaper during happy hour and something’s cost more during happy hour.

How is it?

The Adlon Restaurant & Bar

It’s just Carnegie’s. They rebranded I guess.

How’s the new place Adlon?

10% service charge?

Edit: This info is wrong. The nicest or most popular places in Taiwan don’t charge more than 5% if they charge anything at all.

I could buy four or 8 bottles of champagne and 20 or 30 40 whatever many drinks for the table and then a service fee what’s the f*** is that about?

What extra services that you don’t usually get at a nice place in Taiwan are included in the service fee?

I don’t know which restaurants fall under your category of nicest/most popular, but nearly all of the non mom and pop restaurants in Taipei charge 10% for service. never actually saw 5% tbh, and I went to many places.

Asian restaurants tend not to charge, but depends on the place. However, haven’t seen a restaurant in shopping malls not charging yet.

I will be more than happy to discover nice places not charging for the service.

1 Like

I think you’re right. I went back and checked receipts and lots of 10% service charges. I never noticed or maybe I just didn’t look.

1 Like

I know, it’s bonkers, and if you don’t pay close attention, you won’t notice!

In Italy we usually have a fixed service charge, around 2EUR per person, regardless of the amount.

I know the new owners of Adlon personally and they’re good people with a commitment to providing high quality in food and beverages. Also to fixing Carnegie’s other shortcomings. I believe it’s just a matter of time before they turn Adlon into a high-class joint.

3 Likes

I hope they are successful.

They don’t publish events on their webpage.

They do publish events on Facebook.

The Carnegie’s Brand was dead. It had a place in the heart’s of expats that arrived in Taiwan during the late 1990s/early 2000s (aka, many of Forumosa’s posters) but it just doesn’t resonate with the youngins.

I’m excited to see what they do with the place.

It does resonate with the youngins…

as a place where the hookers hang out and foreigners looking for easy girls.

That’s why it’s good they made a new start with a new name.

Anyway, Adlon’s desired market doesn’t appear to be youngsters. It appears to be middle-aged people with money.

The last time I was there the average age of females was in their late 40s. Both the pro girls and the civilians.

Yes but got to give it a fair chance now it’s a NEW PLACE, it’s not the old place.

Hopefully.

I don’t know… old habits die hard.

I hope for the best.

No one much talking about the place.

Other than saying it’s empty. As it looks every time I pass by and consider dropping in. Day or night.

So I have yet to stop. To many other places in area with people or atmosphere or music or intimacy.

No one cares about the biggest TV screen or whatever they call it.

1 Like

Their prices are just too damn high.

I’m sick of these restaurants/bars in Taipei thinking we are in Manhattan.

Taipei has a shit load of rich people though, who can afford those prices. Like shit loads of rich people and as rich as those in Manhattan

Saying that, those people are not going to go and drink at the Carnegies X: the Revamp

2 Likes

Exactly. Lots of high-end cocktail bars to cater to that crowd. Carnegies 2.0 is not for them. It’s for 47-year-old English teachers (most of Forumosa).

1 Like