The Ahmaud Arbery Trial

if it wasn’t clear, i was agreeing with you above. i hope the jury agrees with us (though i haven’t followed the trial outside of what is posted on this thread)

1 Like

It’s really hard to tell what facts are with how polarized the media is today.

1 Like

Really? I thought they were just done choosing the jurors…

The gist of it is these idiots saw a black guy running down the street, think he’s someone that they’ve seen in the neighborhood before, and grab their guns to go chase him. Idiot neighbor joins. They admit to trying to stop him and detain him, trying to block him with their trucks. So you have one guy driving, with shotgun, pops in the back on the pickup with a pistol, and idiot neighbor following. Georgia inspectors have stated that he was struck by the following neighbors truck, and defendents have stated he was trying to get away and wasn’t threatening. Eventually Travis M gets out of truck with his shotgun (and pops in the back with pistol), and for some reason, Arbery thinks they’re up to no good and feels.like he probably needs to do something.

Defendants claimed (after the fact - not in statements to police) they were trying to do a citizens arrest, as there had been a rash if burglaries in the neighborhood. IIRC, there had been chatter about burglaries on the neighborhood Facebook page, but only 1 had been reported to the police in the previous year and change. On the stand, idiot shooter admitted he thought he knew who had been stealing in the neighborhood, and it wasn’t Arbery. He also admitted that Arbery never threatened them.

There’s also been chatter that they were going after him because he was seen going through a under construction house in the neighborhood. He was in a house that day, and they may have seen a video of him going through the house previously, but nobody claimed they knew he had been in the house that day. The house had some scrap plywood taken previously (by some kids building a bike ramp, owner didn’t care), and some stuff taken from a boat at the dock (by a white couple). Arbery never stole anything from the house, just looked around. Which is probably legal btw, as it wasn’t secured (no door, no fence), wasn’t posted, and nobody had ever told him to not be there:

The citizens arrest law also required (it’s changed, so old law applies) a crime to be committed ik the citizens presence, or with their immediate knowledge, and a pursuit can only happen for a felony (which trespassing isn’t):

1 Like

Yep, they both rested their cases Friday. Jury selection started middle of October.

i got the gist from the headlines when it happened. unlike rittenhouse, this one seems to be exactly what it looks like.

The trial was streamed.

I haven’t watched all of it. But it looks really bad for the defendants based on what I saw and heard.

Oh, so we’re going to start the narrative at that point? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

based on what i’ve read tonight, that’s pretty much the beginning and the end. you’re still welcome to provide specifics if something else came out at the trial which i’ve missed, but i went to educate myself and that’s what i found.

Is this the one where the police basically let them off, then one of the defendants released the video on the internet saying “hey look what i did” and dropped himself and his friends in the shit.

4 Likes

Where would you start the shitfest events of that day?

I’d probably go back to surveillance videos of AA in the house in question.

1 Like

From that day, or prior? Why? Do you think they make a difference in the charges?

Prior and the day of. Why? Why did they chase him? They say because of break ins and theft. Seems reasonable to start where it began.

Also, as per the charges, I haven’t followed this trial. Them boys were way over the line and should be locked up. I’m clearly biased.

yes

Day of, they didn’t know he’d been in the house. Prior, doesn’t give them a right to chase him. Probably not even technically a crime. So why would I start my narrative there? I’m good with where my narrative started (especially since I gave the context anyway).

Because he was on the property, and had no reason to be. Before we continue, have you seen the videos I’m referring to? Clearly him, clearly on the property and inside the dwelling.

1 Like

i’m i correct in saying this was only added to the statements later, after they where allowed to go home?

Yes. Did you read the trespassing statutes?

It’s not exactly uncommon for people to wander in new construction. It’s NOT illegal if it’s an open site, not posted, and nobody has asked you to not be there.

I bought a house in a newer neighborhood, and saw people wandering the sites ALL the time. I do it as well.
(This is not my house)