The America is on Fire. What's Its Soundtrack?

2 Likes

Sitting in a simple coffee shop in Taiwan during this bizarre time and this is the song on the radio.

Repost.
@hansioux already shared that 2 days agoā€¦

2 Likes
2 Likes

Boo

Did you stay till the end for the black panther dance?

1 Like

You couldnā€™t pay me enough.

I think that entire section fits the current situation pretty well.

Well, considering itā€™s by a dude who spent his entire adult life and more money than you and I will ever see trying to NOT be blackā€¦

Bleached Lives Matter???

2 Likes

I think his vitiligo was confirmed by his autopsy? Canā€™t help him out with tis facial plastic surgeries though.

2 Likes

Deader than disco. Just as wellā€¦ it was too namby-pamby to take seriously.

Given the national mentality when this video was released, MJ already did his best to express the frustration and anger the black community felt at the time (1991). He did it through metaphors and artistic expression because anything more would have been met with harsh opposition.

In fact, the video was still met with harsh opposition. The sign on the window he smashed originally had the Klan and NAZI written on it. The TV stations including MTV made them remove it. However, once the video was released, people were still angry about MJ expressing the frustration with institutional racism and using the imagery of a black panther, that they forced the removal of the black panther dance from subsequent airing of the music video.

I mean itā€™s easy to be where we are and point out how MJ could have delivered his message, but he was putting things on the line and did it anyway.

2 Likes

It was his canā€™t-we-all-get-along moment.

Protest feels good, but it accomplishes nothing. Raising awareness of what everyone already knows and nobody cares about is a waste of time.