The Apology Thread

I’ve been thinking lately about the political aspects of apologies. Actually, all aspects of apologies are political in a broad sense, but I mean in the usual, narrow sense of “political.”

Joe Biden has lately apologized for his own words because he got yelled at it by some a race baiting opportunist who slept her way to a position of power on TV. Was his apology accepted? Of course not. That was never the point.

An apology on your own behalf is what most people think of when they talk of apologies. In politics, it’s usually a bad, bad idea.

Then there’s the so-called apology tour - where you go around “apologizing” for things that no one in particular did at no particular point in time, in order to distance yourself from those things. It’s pure virtue signaling.

Then there is the throwing under the bus of an associate who has embarrassed you:

This last is a hybrid. You want to appease on your own behalf, by distancing yourself from the offense. necessary in the first place because the offender is connected to you.

By the way, the Obamas are throwing Biden under the bus. They sure do throw a lot of people under the bus. Trump, by comparison and contrast, flat out fires them.

UPDATE: Here. I edited it. That’s what you said to do. If you want it edited in a specific way, then you should specify why you deleted this thread in the first place. I’m not going to play guessing games.

Perhaps Michelle has an ulterior motive with Biden .
If Companies or people do some good things ( as perceived to be “good”) , they seem to think that any bad stuff will be easily brushed under the table .
, Ghandi springs to mind as the embodiment of an outwardly benign , peaceful man , but when one digs deeper , he was a racist bigot … no apology indeed would have been seen as very dubious in today’s world … but yes , he helped get India independence, so he must be a good role model .

Ok ok I’ll bite

Which politicians do you admire ?

hopefully you… one day

2 Likes

I feel a lot of things in this chatroom.

Admiration is rarely one of them.

Thank you sir, I sincerely appreciate that.

2 Likes

“Deep respect” in the Sicilian sense.

1 Like

Way too late, dearie.

Jesus she’s tone deaf. Apologizing is much worse than not apologizing at this point.

God I hope she gets the Democrat nomination. Please please please, God, let it be Pocahontas. :praying:

This latest bleat about wishing she could turn back time will surely remind almost every American of the time Hillary! claimed she had come under enemy fire while visiting Afghanistan. That’s guaranteed to be as viral as it gets once footage of Hillary! and Brian Williams is released by way of reminder.

Something about national Democrats, they seem to be helpless when it comes to making these kinds of claims.

Sort of a non-apology apology:

The better sort of apology is a prompt one:

I was all set to jump down her throat over this. I’ll wait until the next crazy thing she says.

1 Like

She might have phrased that differently…

He apologized, so now he’s screwed.

How is he ‘screwed’? He’s a part of a group of highly paid celebrity athletes with hundreds of millions in the bank if he’s managed his money wisely at all. I think your poor victim Drew Brees will be fine at the end of this. He throws a ball very far and fast with accuracy after all.

Screwed is unemployed from coronavirus.

Ah yes, Drew, I can sympathize with your run-in with the high priests of PC and cancel culture. I’m sure you, too, harbor no resentment. I mean, like nada !!! :grin:

After controversially stating his personal preference for standing during the National Anthem, the Super Bowl MVP unleashed a heretofore unseen sequence of remorse, explaining that he meant to say people should kneel, or should not not kneel, or should not tell others not to not kneel. He then apologized for not being aware of the things he should apologize for, and he apologized for not being aware that he was not aware of those things.

https://babylonbee.com/news/drew-brees-sets-new-nfl-record-for-number-of-apologies

1 Like

Drew Brees said he came around to thinking like he did because of dialogues with his black teammates. That’s what leaders do, listen and evolve. And apologize for mistakes. Well done Drew Brees!

He’s a good example to follow.

The guilt manipulation behind the woke:

Never atone for an abstraction.

1 Like

i-take-responsibility-for-the-fact-its-your-fault-28655235

was.that.wrong.costanza