The be friendly to everyone experiment

I decided that today I would be the model foreigner. I got on some nice trousers with an ironed short sleeved shirt, and a pair of good leather shoes. As soon as I was in the elevator I said good morning to everyone and to my surprise everyone said good morning back. On my way into Taipei I was extra polite about letting people go before me onto the elevator and into metro carriages, basically everywhere I went I was kind, courteous and friendly. The response by the locals was about 90 percent really.positive and the other ten percent just thinking I was weird or maybe they just hated foreigners and people in general.
It will be back to the tank top and track suit bottoms tomorrow but I might do this “be friendly to everyone day” again in the near future. People reacted very positively with.a few exceptions ! Generally all around good energy and more happiness.

10 Likes

Norman Vincent Peale would be proud. Maybe you can make Friendly Fridays a thing.

1 Like

You get out what you put in. I got a few strange looks of suspicion on the MRT last week, trying to offer my seat to people older than me ( not many left), and was given " No need thankyou" replies. Made me feel better and I _think_it was appreciated. They probably thought "Oh a Foreigner without a tattoo on his head, who isn’t flipping the Bird…

3 Likes

Do us all a favour and do the friendly stuff in a tank top and thongs. We don’t want just well dressed foreigners getting respect.

3 Likes

I was contemplating a Mankini for my next MRT adventure . I somehow think it would be in Apple Daily

3 Likes

Maybe Banana Daily would be a more appropriate venue?

3 Likes

are you talking about those miniature ones?

1 Like

I don’t wear thongs I wear Adidas trainers and track suit bottoms with a Tank Top or wife beater vest

I don’t know, man. You tell me.

I just tried to welcome a new viewer, explaining that we were a well-balanced bunch of measured individuals. Incorrigible are you.

1 Like

I guess you kind of have a point. But I’m not the one hatching plans to ride the MRT in a banana hammock, so…

so anyone want to help me do this be polite on Friday thing. Create a movement

1 Like

We can all be friends. Even TG and I disagree on Politics but it would not stop him buying me a drink. His reluctance to part with money probably would .

1 Like

Why just on Fridays?

2 Likes

Little steps, little steps. Too many good vibes all at once can backfire.

2 Likes

Yeah why just Fridays, this will free up shiadoa to wear Mankini any day.

The juxtaposition of “knob” and “mankini” is giving me a strange feeling…

1 Like

oh damn. :rofl:

Maybe a taipi.

I’m in. I’ve stopped kicking old people to the curb here when they get in my way. In fact, I stood aside this morning when an old gentleman with a cane approached on a sidewalk just wide enough for one. It was an oddly exhilarating feeling I must admit.

1 Like