The Beijing 2008 pre - Olympics thread

Me too.[/quote]

Not me. I admit it was very sad when the US boycotted the Moscow Olympics and all those athletes who had worked so hard for so many years, for some of whom it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, had it stolen from their hands because the US govt made a political choice with the games at their expense.

But in this case the games will take place and probably all the top athletes from around the world will attend and compete and have their opportunity to claim gold and set records. That IS what it’s all about and I agree it would be sad to deprive them of that opportunity.

At the same time, if China wishes to use this opportunity to try to pretend to the world that they’re a first-class, fully-developed, civilized nation, why shouldn’t individuals around the world take the opportunity to respond with boos, jeers, protests, etc? If the games were being held in Zimbabwe would you be so opposed to political protests tagging along to the event?

I want all qualified athletes to have their chance to compete against the best in the world, without limitations. But I think it’s great to see China being shamed so vigorously when they thought this would be their platform for glory.

Wouldn’t you have loved to see the torch snuffed out time and again in the preface to this Olympics?

And don’t you feel just a little bit, “right on brother” when you see this pic?

Right on.

As if the Chinese didn’t know protests would accompany the organization of the Olympics. I don’t know how to say it in English, but in Dutch there’s the proverb

Sports and politics always get along just fine. Politicians are very keen to meet in public with the winning athletes of the Olympics/World Championship Football/Rugby/Whatever. The World Championship Football in 1978 in Argentina was used as a stage for positive publicity by the military dictatorship as well as a stage for protest for leftist sympathizing politicians in Europe. Lots of other examples exist. So, nothing new here, I think.

I thought those were the olympics. The two man torch snuffing relay. The water cannon and baton dodging marathon.

When has the CCP ever make these statements? It is everytime the West insist PRC behave like a “first-class, fully-developed, civilized nation” that the PRC declines and mentions how they are still developing with many internal issues.

Perhaps it is not the CCP that isn’t facing reality but these protestors?

Because last I checked the PRC hasn’t created any gas chambers or ethnic cleaning policies in China, not to mention if any of the recent boarder treaties are correct, they aren’t intestested in expanding their territory either.

Given Tibetans recent behavior I don’t think many Chinese of any background have much sympathy for their cause now.

However, if you want to gather Chinese support to “the cause” one should focus on issues like can actually help improve the lives of average Chinese in China. Such as Human rights dissidents like Hu Jia, 胡佳.

Because if you’re trying to claim Human Rights via the breaking up of China, which will harm the Chinese, I don’t think you’ll find much sympathies.

When has the CCP ever make these statements? It is everytime the West insist PRC behave like a “first-class, fully-developed, civilized nation” that the PRC declines and mentions how they are still developing with many internal issues.[/quote]

From the official website:

[quote]“One World One Dream” fully reflects the essence and the universal values of the Olympic spirit – Unity, Friendship, Progress, Harmony, Participation and Dream. It expresses the common wishes of people all over the world, inspired by the Olympic ideals, to strive for a bright future of Mankind. In spite of the differences in colors, languages and races, we share the charm and joy of the Olympic Games, and together we seek for the ideal of Mankind for peace. We belong to the same world and we share the same aspirations and dreams.

“One World One Dream” is a profound manifestation of the core concepts of the Beijing Olympic Games. It reflects the values of harmony connoted in the concept of “People’s Olympics”, the core and soul of the three concepts – “Green Olympics, High-tech Olympics and People’s Olympics”. While “Harmony of Man with Nature” and “Peace Enjoys Priority” are the philosophies and ideals of the Chinese people since ancient times in their pursuit of the harmony between Man and Nature and the harmony among people, building up a harmonious society and achieving harmonious development are the dream and aspirations of ours. It is our belief that peace and progress, harmonious development, living in amity, cooperation and mutual benefit, and enjoying a happy life are the common ideals of the people throughout the world.

“One World, One Dream” is simple in expressions, but profound in meaning. It is of China, and also of the world. It conveys the lofty ideal of the people in Beijing as well as in China to share the global community and civilization and to create a bright future hand in hand with the people from the rest of the world. It expresses the firm belief of a great nation, with a long history of 5,000 years and on its way towards modernization, that is committed to peaceful development, harmonious society and people’s happiness. It voices the aspirations of 1.3 billion Chinese people to contribute to the establishment of a peaceful and bright world.

In Chinese, the word “tongyi”, which means “the same”, is used for the English word “One”. It highlights the theme of “the whole Mankind lives in the same world and seeks for the same dream and ideal”.[/quote]

This is China’s coming out ceremony. Yes, not fully developed but MT’s point is correct. China wants to prove it is part of the global civilized community and has the same aspirations for peace, prosperity and harmony as the west.

Let’s be frank. China is trying to emulate the west not the other way round. We have every right to bash them for not even coming close to our ideals, and to ridicule them for not even trying to live up to their own.

Peace enjoys priority. Right. :unamused:

From the Beijing 2008 official website:

That’s brilliant!

Perhaps China could start to contribute to the establishment of a peaceful and bright world with North Korea, Burma, Tibet, Sudan… and even Taiwan.

I liked the part where the British were going to compete with masks, to avoid the fresh air. That coupled with the traditional sun glasses, cause they don’t want to see the greener pastures of Beijing, makes a wonder suit.

By the way, will the water of the pools be transported directly from the Three Gorges Dam? Gosh, that would be so nice, to see the swimmers trying to beat a record of no-go’s…

And, of course, will they charge the athletes for their bullets? Maybe they can get some Olympic gold medals, as long as they put dissidents in the shooting range.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]This is China’s coming out ceremony. Yes, not fully developed but MT’s point is correct. China wants to prove it is part of the global civilized community and has the same aspirations for peace, prosperity and harmony as the west.

Let’s be frank. China is trying to emulate the west not the other way round. We have every right to bash them for not even coming close to our ideals, and to ridicule them for not even trying to live up to their own.[/quote]

Since when were peace, prosperity, and harmony “your” ideals? Are you really so West-centric to believe the West is the whole world? The West has prosperity, yes, built on the trampling of peace and harmony of the world, and now has the gall to guard the gates to “civilization”? lol…

Yes, China hasn’t lived up to its own ideals yet. Somehow I don’t think that’s on the mind of anybody but the Chinese themselves.

[quote]Not me. I admit it was very sad when the US boycotted the Moscow Olympics and all those athletes who had worked so hard for so many years, for some of whom it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, had it stolen from their hands because the US govt made a political choice with the games at their expense.

But in this case the games will take place and probably all the top athletes from around the world will attend and compete and have their opportunity to claim gold and set records. That IS what it’s all about and I agree it would be sad to deprive them of that opportunity.

At the same time, if China wishes to use this opportunity to try to pretend to the world that they’re a first-class, fully-developed, civilized nation, why shouldn’t individuals around the world take the opportunity to respond with boos, jeers, protests, etc? If the games were being held in Zimbabwe would you be so opposed to political protests tagging along to the event?

I want all qualified athletes to have their chance to compete against the best in the world, without limitations. But I think it’s great to see China being shamed so vigorously when they thought this would be their platform for glory[/quote]

I think boycotting the Olympics is a bad idea. It deprives athletes the opportunity and experience to advance themselves in international competition. Also China can return the favor by boycotting the next Olympics in London. Given China’s athletic clout in the Summer Olympics (it consistently ranks in the top four gold medal count in previous Olympics), their revenge boycott will hurt the next Olympics.

Boycotting the opening ceremony may be a more prudent action to take. Not sure if Bush will attend the opening ceremony.

Probably a more effective form of protest than extinguishing the flame in torch relays is athletes wearing masks in the Olympic events to protect themselves from air pollution, an action the UK is allowing its athletes to take. If I were Beijing, I’d be more concerned about that than what happens in torch relays.

Why feel sorry for the athletes? Athletes are whores for the most part. Asking them for their opinion on the Olympics is like asking an arms merchant for his opinion on war.

Everybody’s got problems. Why care so much about the athletes–because they’re more famous, or better looking than us poor slobs who have to work for a living?

(Not to mention the downtrodden of China and Tibet…)

If you don’t care for the athletes then how about this argument: I want to watch the games because its fun and I want to see the world’s best athletes, including the American ones, and I’m also willing to watch commercials for all the corporate sponsors, and I’ll notice that swoosh on the track shoes and I’ll probably spend a buck on one or two of their products in the next few years, which, as we’re constantly being told, helps the economy which in turn helps all the poor starving masses get jobs and make a living. So keep your boycotts out of my entertainment!

When has the CCP ever make these statements? It is everytime the West insist PRC behave like a “first-class, fully-developed, civilized nation” that the PRC declines and mentions how they are still developing with many internal issues.[/quote]

From the official website:

[quote]“One World One Dream” fully reflects the essence and the universal values of the Olympic spirit – Unity, Friendship, Progress, Harmony, Participation and Dream. It expresses the common wishes of people all over the world, inspired by the Olympic ideals, to strive for a bright future of Mankind. In spite of the differences in colors, languages and races, we share the charm and joy of the Olympic Games, and together we seek for the ideal of Mankind for peace. We belong to the same world and we share the same aspirations and dreams.

“One World One Dream” is a profound manifestation of the core concepts of the Beijing Olympic Games. It reflects the values of harmony connoted in the concept of “People’s Olympics”, the core and soul of the three concepts – “Green Olympics, High-tech Olympics and People’s Olympics”. While “Harmony of Man with Nature” and “Peace Enjoys Priority” are the philosophies and ideals of the Chinese people since ancient times in their pursuit of the harmony between Man and Nature and the harmony among people, building up a harmonious society and achieving harmonious development are the dream and aspirations of ours. It is our belief that peace and progress, harmonious development, living in amity, cooperation and mutual benefit, and enjoying a happy life are the common ideals of the people throughout the world.

“One World, One Dream” is simple in expressions, but profound in meaning. It is of China, and also of the world. It conveys the lofty ideal of the people in Beijing as well as in China to share the global community and civilization and to create a bright future hand in hand with the people from the rest of the world. It expresses the firm belief of a great nation, with a long history of 5,000 years and on its way towards modernization, that is committed to peaceful development, harmonious society and people’s happiness. It voices the aspirations of 1.3 billion Chinese people to contribute to the establishment of a peaceful and bright world.

In Chinese, the word “tongyi”, which means “the same”, is used for the English word “One”. It highlights the theme of “the whole Mankind lives in the same world and seeks for the same dream and ideal”.[/quote]

This is China’s coming out ceremony. Yes, not fully developed but MT’s point is correct. China wants to prove it is part of the global civilized community and has the same aspirations for peace, prosperity and harmony as the west.

Let’s be frank. China is trying to emulate the west not the other way round. We have every right to bash them for not even coming close to our ideals, and to ridicule them for not even trying to live up to their own.

Peace enjoys priority. Right. :unamused:[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: wipe water off keyboard

A revival of the “All under heaven”, I guess…

The PRC/PLA are curbing Tiananmen Square enthusiasm:

[quote]Olympic Games: China curbs Tiananmen Square live broadcasts
From The Times, July 10, 2008

NO NEWS FOR YOU!!! YOU GO WAY NOW!!

The Chinese authorities have banned round-the-clock broadcasts from Tiananmen Square during the Olympics.

Beijing Games organisers yesterday cited fears of overcrowding as they told international broadcasters that they could set up live positions only between 6am and 10am and 9pm and 11pm local time because of competing demands for the world’s largest urban square from tourists, heads of state and other VIPs.

The restrictions mean that the BBC’s stock-in-trade live interview with its correspondent will be missing from primetime news programmes. The windows of permitted broadcasts exclude the 6 O’Clock News and News at Ten. BBC chiefs are said to be fuming after two years of “frustrating” negotiations with Chinese Olympic organisers resulted in a watered-down deal that limits the movement of broadcasters around Beijing.

Executives from NBC, which paid $800million (£400million) for the US rights to the Games, have complained of excessive bureaucracy that requires scores of permits for a single satellite vehicle. The BBC paid millions of pounds for its share of rights and is sending more staff than to any previous Games.

Sources said that the demands of Beijing officials would stifle coverage of the Olympics, which are being called the “Killjoy Games” because of over-zealous policing. About 100,000 anti-terrorism officers will be deployed during the 16-day event. Communist Party officials are sensitive about Tiananmen Square being used as a backdrop by Western broadcasters after the 1989 student protests in which hundreds of people were killed by troops.

Under the host city agreement with the International Olympic Committee, Beijing must allow unfettered access for foreign media. Chinese officials, who have argued that protests outside the sports venues should not concern broadcasters, face accusations of a wilful breach of this contract.[/quote]

No more bow-wow on Beijing menus…until after the Olympics…then…Fido watch out!

[quote]Dog off the menu for Olympics
From correspondents in Beijing
July 11, 2008 03:19pm

BEIJING has asked hotels and restaurants in the city to take dog meat off the menu for the duration of next month’s Olympics and September’s Paralympics.

Dog is eaten by the large Korean community in China’s capital and is also popular in Yunnan and Guizhou restaurants.

A directive from the Beijing Food Safety Office issued last month ordered Olympic contractor hotels not to provide any dishes made with dog meat and said any canine material used in traditional medicated diets must be clearly labelled.

Concerned that canine dishes might offend animal rights groups and Western visitors, Beijing said restaurants expected to be popular among foreign visitors must stop serving dog meat “to respect the dining customs of different countries”.

The directive “advocated” that all restaurants serving dog suspend it during the Olympics but made no mention of the many popular establishments with donkey on the menu.

Criticism from Westerners caused the dog meat-loving South Koreans to ban canine dishes for a period of time during the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
News AU.com[/quote]

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]No more bow-wow on Beijing menus…until after the Olympics…then…Fido watch out!

[quote]Dog off the menu for Olympics
From correspondents in Beijing
July 11, 2008 03:19pm

BEIJING has asked hotels and restaurants in the city to take dog meat off the menu for the duration of next month’s Olympics and September’s Paralympics.

Dog is eaten by the large Korean community in China’s capital and is also popular in Yunnan and Guizhou restaurants.

A directive from the Beijing Food Safety Office issued last month ordered Olympic contractor hotels not to provide any dishes made with dog meat and said any canine material used in traditional medicated diets must be clearly labelled.

Concerned that canine dishes might offend animal rights groups and Western visitors, Beijing said restaurants expected to be popular among foreign visitors must stop serving dog meat “to respect the dining customs of different countries”.

The directive “advocated” that all restaurants serving dog suspend it during the Olympics but made no mention of the many popular establishments with donkey on the menu.

Criticism from Westerners caused the dog meat-loving South Koreans to ban canine dishes for a period of time during the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
News AU.com[/quote][/quote]

Damn, you beat me to it TC. You’re too fast!

No “fragrant meat” for anyone! (come back after the games though…)

Damn why are they picking on the Koreans in China?
Always picking on the Koreans.

“Hold on we translate first!”

[quote] China’s “Live” Olympic Broadcast Will Be Delayed 10 Seconds to Avoid Airing any Embarrassing Political Episodes
By chinafreepress.org
Jul 8, 2008 - 11:41:36 PM

To avoid broadcasting any undesirable incident, China’s government has instituted a 10-second delay on the “live” broadcast of the Olympics. According to sources, the Central Propaganda Department of the Chinese Communist Party has ordered all regional television stations to implement a 10 second delay on their “live” Olympic broadcast. This delay order is meant to protect against any political protest–whether shouting a slogan or unveiling a banner–being broadcast, including any by foreign athletes in competition or on the medal stand

Last January, in the city of Changchun, Jilin Province, during the Asian Winter Games, five South Korean female athletes unveiled a banner reading: “Baitoushan (in China known as Changbaishan) is Korean Territory.” But because of China’s standard practice of delaying live broadcasts, the act was not shown on Chinese television. But it did put a scare into China’s media officials and for a time influenced the foreign relations between China and Korea.

If there is a sudden protest or Tibetan flags are unfurled as they were during the Olympic torch relay, all Chinese TV stations central and regional can switch over to a different broadcast and prevent China’s domestic audience from seeing the protest on television.

In addition, all station managers of regional television stations will be required to sleep in the station and remain on duty throughout the Olympics and personally vet all broadcasts to make sure that no political protest or other embarrassing event is broadcast on Chinese television.

Also, China’s Copyright Bureau, MInistry of Information Industry, and State Administration of Radio, Film and Television Monday July 7 announced that it was investigating websites broadcasting Olympic-related events without proper permission and that several video broadcasting sites have already been shut down for illegal broadcasting. This is the first time that websites have been shut down because of the pending Olympics.
Boxun News[/quote]

[quote] China’s “Live” Olympic Broadcast Will Be Delayed 10 Seconds to Avoid Airing any Embarrassing Political Episodes
By chinafreepress.org
Jul 8, 2008 - 11:41:36 PM

To avoid broadcasting any undesirable incident, China’s government has instituted a 10-second delay on the “live” broadcast of the Olympics. According to sources, the Central Propaganda Department of the Chinese Communist Party has ordered all regional television stations to implement a 10 second delay on their “live” Olympic broadcast. This delay order is meant to protect against any political protest–whether shouting a slogan or unveiling a banner–being broadcast, including any by foreign athletes in competition or on the medal stand

Last January, in the city of Changchun, Jilin Province, during the Asian Winter Games, five South Korean female athletes unveiled a banner reading: “Baitoushan (in China known as Changbaishan) is Korean Territory.” But because of China’s standard practice of delaying live broadcasts, the act was not shown on Chinese television. But it did put a scare into China’s media officials and for a time influenced the foreign relations between China and Korea.

If there is a sudden protest or Tibetan flags are unfurled as they were during the Olympic torch relay, all Chinese TV stations central and regional can switch over to a different broadcast and prevent China’s domestic audience from seeing the protest on television.

In addition, all station managers of regional television stations will be required to sleep in the station and remain on duty throughout the Olympics and personally vet all broadcasts to make sure that no political protest or other embarrassing event is broadcast on Chinese television.

Also, China’s Copyright Bureau, MInistry of Information Industry, and State Administration of Radio, Film and Television Monday July 7 announced that it was investigating websites broadcasting Olympic-related events without proper permission and that several video broadcasting sites have already been shut down for illegal broadcasting. This is the first time that websites have been shut down because of the pending Olympics.
Boxun News[/quote]
That’s pretty lame! Boo! Hiss! :raspberry:
Bunch of chickenshits…