The best chance for Taiwan's Independence

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
You have got to be kidding me, I don’t support the KKK in the USA and I don’t support hardcore TI in the ROC, because newsflash both groups base their politics on being the majority ethnic group in their respective country.

That’s all, there is no substance to either the KKK or Hardcore TI philosophy. Just a bunch of ethnic pride.

Nothing wrong with ethnic pride mind you, but a government needs more than just that. People can’t eat ethnic pride. Ethnic pride won’t solve the Strait Issue either.[/quote]

ummm twat? is the cat the same as the mouse? the oppressor the same as the oppressed? NO i say! shall the cheek be turned, and we be called Satan? as it is said in the book of Matthew Chapter 5 “But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” Amen.

Tempo Gain,

Stop being so melodramic. Remember Mao, the last emperor of China, he brought PRC into the Nuclear Age all under his leadership. Granted he had a good sidekick, Zhou En Lai, but Mao ran the country by himself mostly.

Ok a philosophical question what percentage of the population needs to be active public servants in government so that it can pass the western standard of being a “democracy?”

PRC has 8 political parties. The CCP has 80 million members. And someone suggested that 20,000 people make executive decisions in the PRC government. Doesn’t look much like a dictatorships or fascism even with these questionable figures.

The Good Book, ah how those Sunday school memories start coming back.

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5)”

Oh how my young ambition of being a cult demagogue are all coming back sigh

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“cctang”]I don’t think there’s the equivalent of a “5-second rule” in international politics.

If Taiwan declared independence during the Olympics, I think Beijing could afford to wait a few weeks… months… decades… before doing whatever is necessary to enforce the Anti-Secession law. What were you expecting? Some part of international law that says if Taiwan can get its letterhead changed in time, then Beijing (or the UN, or the EU, or the US) is obligated to recognize Taiwan’s independence?

[/quote]

It worked for Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia![/quote]

Biafra, Chechnya, Western Sahara… the Confederate States of America…and a thousand others

Taiwans best chance died with the thousands of students at Tianamen Square.

comfortably numb,

Stop being so melodramatic. Taiwan’s chance at independence died when no one wanted to join the conscript military anymore.

CSB dodged the draft, Jay Chow dodged the draft, everyone with a dual passport wants to dodge the draft.

You get the picture, everyone wants peace and they definitely don’t want to risk their lives for some political idealogy that makes so little sense.

I think it’s delusion to suggest that the students at Tiananmen square would’ve supported Taiwanese independence by any stretch of the imagination. Even today, the exile community by and large rejects the concept of an independent non-Chinese Taiwan… with lone exceptions being the really hard-up extremists (Wei Jingsheng) taking hand-outs from anyone with dollars to spend. The constitution of one of the Chinese democratic parties set up in exile was very explicit: even as it called for overthrow of Communist dictatorship, etc, it insisted that Taiwan would only have the right of unilateral independence after 50 years of reunification.

If mainland China was democratic and politically liberal today, Chen Shui-bian would only lose his primary “leverage” behind calls for independence. This only makes independence less likely, not more. Of course, a “democratic and politically liberal” China would also be firmly within the American sphere of influence, which means greater potential for the US to force its opinion across the strait… but of course, Washington DC probably wouldn’t really care whether Taiwan was independent or not, in that scenario.

At best, you could argue that a government ruled by these students wouldn’t have supported the use of force against another democracy. I think that’s conceivable. I also think it’s also very probable that even if that occurred, another “leftist” (in the Chinese political spetrum, and “rightist” in Western dialogue) political party would’ve risen and won power by calling for hostile policy aimed at Taiwan. Sorta like what happened in Palestine, Serbia, etc.

This past week, we saw numerous news reports about the “last Tiananmen protestor” being released from Chinese prison (for events occuring after '89, by the way). Very few articles mention that he was originally detained by the student protestors on Tiananmen after defacing Mao’s portrait. Ironic, neh?

And as it happens… a vision of a democratic China as a “banana republic”. Would a “banana republic” China necessarily treat Taiwanese independence favorably? I doubt it.

theage.com.au/news/Business/ … 73293.html

[quote]A democratic China could end up wracked by economic turmoil of the same kind which strangled Latin America for much of the modern era, a new report warns.

He said an authoritarian China had been highly predictable while a more open and democratic China could produce new uncertainties about both domestic policy and international relations.
[/quote]