The best drip-type coffee maker?

Coffee experts to the fore, please! We would like to invest in a new coffee maker as ours (a Philips) doesn’t brew to our taste anymore, somehow the coffee never tastes the way we think it should, no matter which beans/ground coffee we use.

What, in your honoured expert opinion, is the best drip-type coffee maker available in Taiwan and where could we get it? Thanks for sharing some opinions, Xpet.

I swear by the Bodum-style plunger type. Is that called a cafetiere or some such thing? Anyway, you can find them all over the place and they’re quite inexpensive.

If your coffee maker has been doing OK up till now, it might just be crapped up with minerals, etc from the water.
There are coffee maker cleaners you might try before buying a new one.
Or you can run a mixture of vinegar and water thru it a few times, letting it sit and see if this loosens up & removes any crud that may have built up.
I’ve done this many times with coffee makers and it can work wonders.
But new ones are nice also.

p.s. - Make sure you flush it out well with clean water when you are finished.

If you’re set on getting a drip I prefer a BUNN. I buy whole beans and grind them daily. But, the best coffee is actually made in a french press.

The taste you’re describing may be from the beans. I prefer a french roast or expresso roast. I find that even the columbian coffees here are not good enough.

yeah, those work good.

Lighter roasts tend to be more bitter, whereas darker roasts have more of a flavor of caramel.

I would never rape my coffee on a drip machine of any brand. You get uneven extraction, and the water dripping thru the same grounds for several minutes on end.

A plunger/french press is the way to go. I would recommend a Bodum Chambord, I use an 8 cup one. They look good on the breakfast table, are of a very sturdy build, and look great on any breakfast table.

do not buy a phillips cafe cino … it was given to me, and i think i know why … :wink:

glad i still have the japanese syphon - these are another option to those listed above. not so cheap, but they make great coffee if you know how to use 'em.

If you get a french press, remember to only get a glass one, as plastic can change the taste. Also I heard you should only use course ground coffee.

I love my Braun coffee maker that I picked up at Costco, along with my Braun coffee-bean grinder, but I’m a huge fan of Braun appliances. I get my coffee beans at Costco also - the Starbucks-Kirkland co-branded kind. It kick-starts my day in a nice kind of way. I also like the Bodum plunger style coffee makers, but they don’t keep your coffee hot, so they’re only good for the first cup, IMO. With a drip-type coffee maker, you can come back for a second and even third cup without worrying about luke-warm coffee.

BTW, to prevent coffee burning in the pot, put a few pennies on the burner, and place the pot on that instead of directly on the burner. It’s a little trick I picked up when I was a student waiting tables. :sunglasses:

Your question is an oxymoron - coffee never tastes good thru a drip filter. :slight_smile:

Bodums are satisfactory as are stove tops, but yes, the French press is the best. Make sure however the lever isnt an electronic switch and is in fact a proper press.

Get a sleeve for the Bodum. It should solve your problem. Also, if you plan to let coffee sit for more than 20-25 minutes, then brew less. Coffee loses its flavor fast IMO.This might also be an alternative, if you prefer to brew coffee intended to remain roughly drinkable for half a day.

:astonished:

The original Bodum Chambord French press

Thanks everybody for the comments & tips, of course we have a plunger/french press/cafeti

apologies i was confusing terms… i meant the traditional lever machines like this:

supremecoffeemachines.com.au … &iCatID=78

Xpet, your grind is too fine. A coarser grind will solve the problem. also, don’t give her the last cup.

Lever machines are very good, if you know how to use them… That’s a bit of a challenge. However, the particular La Pavoni has a few problems… First of all, you need to allow the machine to cool, before adding water for a few extra cups… If you remove the lid when it’s hot, you will scald yourself. Hope you don’t get guests for breakfast.

For a hoime espresso machine, I would go for a small boiler model, where you get exact the same setup as you have in a big commercial machine. The Rancilio silvia is an excellent choice.

If your wife doesn’t like the grinds, buy a Moka Pot. It is The only thing that will come even close to beating the french press. The coffee boils and goes through the grinds up to a reservoir at the top. If you can’t live w/out coffee (like me) then this is one that you can take camping with you and use on a blue gas burner. Available at most dept. stores, costs about 3,000 TWD for the 8 cup version. Get the original Bialetti octagon/aluminum one for best results

Elegua, thanks for the tip, but that’s another variation we’ve already tried. Works great & tastes great, but the one we had (A Bialetti copy I admit …) seemed to dissolve (oxidate or whatever) fairly soon after we started using it, plus once over a weekend away from home it grew hairy fungus all-over (cleaned, of course!), so we discontinued this model, so to say … I know, we’re a difficult case, bear with us! :wink: