The BEST fried chicken in Taipei?

[quote=“the chief”]

TKK (http://www.tkkinc.com.tw/main.asp) (or Muscle Chicken, as we used to call it) was Taiwan’s first major attempt at a Western-style fast food chain.
There used to be a ton of them around, but sadly, they don’t seem to appeal to this generation’s taste.
They’re continually raising prices, reducing portions, and closing down outlets.

As I’ve mentioned before, it’s dang good fried chicken, better by a long shot than The Colonel AND that pre-frozen over-salted mutant crap from McDs, Burger King, and Domino’s.
None of those Western Imperialist outfits can offer you, in addition to the aforementioned delectable Yam Fries, the unspeakable glory of:

Necks, sold by weight

OR

The Infamous Taiwan Rice Roll, a hearty portion of You Fan wrapped in chicken skin and fried.

Serious eating.[/quote]

The GuaGua Bao is one of the best fried foodstuffs known to man. Like thanksgiving stuffing wrapped in crispy skin and fried. :lick:

Now available in terminal 2 of the airport even for breakfast :thumbsup:

[quote=“the chief”]

Necks, sold by weight

OR

The Infamous Taiwan Rice Roll, a hearty portion of You Fan wrapped in chicken skin and fried.

Serious eating.[/quote]
They told you those are NECKS? And you BELIEVED them? :roflmao: They must be laughing still!

But thanks for the reminder about the chicken-skin you fan. God! I used to LOVE that stuff. Haven’t had it for more than a decade. Kids today. Don’t know they’re fucking BORN!

That last comment about the airport reminds me of all the fights coming in from Guatemala. It was de rigeur for the whole plane to stink of fried chicken, courtesy of Pollo Campero. Every time you opened that plane door…

Now, who wants to join me in opening a franchise? :smiley: I got the contacts. :wink:

[quote=“Icon”]That last comment about the airport reminds me of all the fights coming in from Guatemala. It was de rigeur for the whole plane to stink of fried chicken, courtesy of Pollo Campero. Every time you opened that plane door…

Now, who wants to join me in opening a franchise? :smiley: I got the contacts. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry, palomita, that looked way too close to

Scared the bejeezis out of me…

Well, Pollo Campero is a well known, long established franchise since last century, no fear. People would take them to the US at a time where there were no outlets of it there, now they have a lot, so I guess the fragrance is a memory of the past.

I don’t watch Breaking Bad so I did not fully undestand the connotation -had to look it up- but yeah, it looks similar, could be based loosely on it, for the sake of fiction. :laughing:

[quote=“Icon”]Well, Pollo Campero is a well known, long established franchise since last century, no fear. People would take them to the US at a time where there were no outlets of it there, now they have a lot, so I guess the fragrance is a memory of the past.

I don’t watch Breaking Bad so I did not fully undestand the connotation -had to look it up- but yeah, it looks similar, could be based loosely on it, for the sake of fiction. :laughing:[/quote]

The owner/founder is Chilean (in the show), so it could be.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Icon”]Well, Pollo Campero is a well known, long established franchise since last century, no fear. People would take them to the US at a time where there were no outlets of it there, now they have a lot, so I guess the fragrance is a memory of the past.

I don’t watch Breaking Bad so I did not fully undestand the connotation -had to look it up- but yeah, it looks similar, could be based loosely on it, for the sake of fiction. :laughing:[/quote]

The owner/founder is Chilean (in the show), so it could be.[/quote]

You cant see it but my hand is raised - I watch that show. brilliant, brilliant stuff. EXACTLY what I thought as soon as I read Pollo Campero. Speaking of chicken-based mexican fast food chain though the one I usually go to at home was

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“Icon”]Well, Pollo Campero is a well known, long established franchise since last century, no fear. People would take them to the US at a time where there were no outlets of it there, now they have a lot, so I guess the fragrance is a memory of the past.

The owner/founder is Chilean (in the show), so it could be.[/quote]

You cant see it but my hand is raised - I watch that show. brilliant, brilliant stuff. EXACTLY what I thought as soon as I read Pollo Campero. Speaking of chicken-based Mexican fast food chain though the one I usually go to at home was

[/quote]

Man, that whole 3rd Season, every time, after watching an episode, I was like “Damn, I want some motherf*cking CHICKEN!”

Ha ha, this is funny:

Because of this thread, I went and got fried chicken for lunch. Too bad the only thing near my office was KFC…

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“ceevee369”]Don’t know the name of the chain but the best (garlic marinated) fried chicken parts I always eat are to be found at the entrance of Ximending, near Nova ( close to the MacDonalds) and in other parts of town.
Juicy, not fried in 4 weeks old oil and simply tasty.
I think the paper bags carry a picture of a chicken if remembered correctly.[/quote]

YES. They are soo good. I think its called DinGuaGua Tzah Tzee (ding gua gua fried chicken)[/quote]

negative. I was literally walking to the metro go get to one of the recommended night market places when I caught a glimpse of the muscleman logo like 50ft away from the metro entrance, not sure how many times Ive walked past that place but only today I noticed it. anyway I thought this was it, went in and the sign and everything said T.K.K. fried chicken, which didnt sound right. I thought it was a knock off or something but at that point when youre already that close to the food with an empty stomach you just dont walk away. so I bought some. and now I see from the photos that I got the real thing which is cool.

bottom line thank you and thank you ceevee369 for solving my dinner problem for today. :thumbsup:

If you had taken out the 399 special -with a whole chicken, head and all!- then you would have enough provitions for the typhoon duration!

Century 21 chain, or something like that, has good chicken and sides.

I’d forgotten about them. They do a great whole roast chicken. Ideal if you want to do an english-style roast and can’t be bothered with the actual, um, roasting.

TKK = ding gua gua ( i think thats what the chinese reads, ask Chris tho) but thats the one im talkin bout. Its awesome!

Best fried chicken: the jia mo ji at this Yunnan place in Muzha near the university. Breaded baked and fried chicken strips on a bed of shredded cabbage.

真味廚房。I have them on speed-dial. If I call as I go up the ramp on xinyi, it will be ready when I arrive.

Great food. But does it count as fried chicken?

真味廚房。I have them on speed-dial. If I call as I go up the ramp on Xinyi, it will be ready when I arrive.

Great food. But does it count as fried chicken?[/quote]

I think it does. Satisfies my need for fried bird. :slight_smile:

真味廚房。I have them on speed-dial. If I call as I go up the ramp on Xinyi, it will be ready when I arrive.

Great food. But does it count as fried chicken?[/quote]

I think it does. Satisfies my need for fried bird. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yes, it does that :lick: . If so, there are about 5 Taiwanese restaurants 脆皮雞 I’d like to add to the list

the other day I had a bite of one of the better fried chicken I’ve ever tasted in taiwan. ever. if I remember correctly (from the printing on the paper bag) the store is called two peck. does that ring a bell for anyone? I haven’t met the person who shared that delicious chicken fillet with me since, so I could use some of yalls help here. I think its supposed to be a chain?

if you know one thats anywhere near the metro stations between taipei-main and far eastern hospital, please speak up!

Yep, great stuff (they used to call themselves ‘chicken pie’, presumably until some foreigner pointed out that 排 does not translate to the english “pie”).

Personally I prefer the 雞塊 (pieces), which is basically the same as the 雞排 (breast fillet) but cut into bite-sized pieces. Taiwan is so convenient 啦!